Brewer Fanatic

Twins Trade for Jake Odorizzi

IntentionalHBP
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is dropping a 10dollar bill, someone picks it up saying sir you dropped this while switching it for 1 dollar bill. If I were a Rays fan, id threaten becoming a fan for another team.

What financial problem are the Rays dealing with? Where they cant get any value from two of their best players on their 25man? Should have gotten something better or rolled with these 2 til the trade deadline and got something better.

I mean really...

Garcia 10 mil

Vargas 8 mil

Odorizzi for 6.3 mil and a ticket.

Twins win that 3 pack.

FWIW, Odorizzi may get 8-10 next year.

The money is pretty much negligible but Odorizzi is the best pitcher if he stays healthy. That’s the big if.

They can decline arby. It's a 6.3 1 year deal. Beats garcia and vargas easily.

I mean really...

Garcia 10 mil

Vargas 8 mil

Odorizzi for 6.3 mil and a ticket.

Twins win that 3 pack.

The money is pretty much negligible but Odorizzi is the best pitcher if he stays healthy. That’s the big if.

They can decline arby. It's a 6.3 1 year deal. Beats garcia and vargas easily.

If he’s bad enough to decline arby, the trade is a big loss.

None of the 3 contracts are making a dent in the long term plans of any of the teams. I’m not taking out a microscope to compare the dollar amounts.

But you are talking like next years arby matters. He's a 6.3 mil 1 year deal. Next year is next year. And even if he sucks this isn't a big loss.

Its a very reasonably priced filler arm. It cost them nothing in prospects. If we don't add someone I'll be a little irritated we stuck with 2 of Gallardo Miley Suter Wilkerson Guerra being needed over throwing tb a Ward level prospect for this small discount.

I’m hoping we stick with Gallardo and he wins 12-15 games this season while costing us $2 million. In Johnson I trust.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The money is pretty much negligible regardless, but Odorizzi is the best pitcher if he stays healthy. That’s the big if.

Has Odorizzi ever really been significantly injured? He's made 28+ starts every year since he was in A+ in 2011. He's just not a very good pitcher and can barely go 5.0 IP so he has never pitched more than 187 IP in the majors (with 33 GS that year).

I think he's going to be exposed a bit when his ERA no longer has the Rays and Royals defense behind it.

Side note

66 starts 331 ip 3.89 era worth a bag o balls

67 starts 402.1 ip 4.05 era worth Santana Burnes Peralta Phillips

Those .6 ip per start sure are valuable!

3.35 xFIP vs. 5.10 xFIP...

And yeah 2/3 of an inning per start over an entire season is actually quite huge.

The money is pretty much negligible regardless, but Odorizzi is the best pitcher if he stays healthy. That’s the big if.

Has Odorizzi ever really been significantly injured? He's made 28+ starts every year since he was in A+ in 2011. He's just not a very good pitcher and can barely go 5.0 IP so he has never pitched more than 187 IP in the majors (with 33 GS that year).

I think he's going to be exposed a bit when his ERA no longer has the Rays and Royals defense behind it.

Does that also go for Archer... the rays D behind him comment?

Side note

66 starts 331 ip 3.89 era worth a bag o balls

3.35 xFIP vs. 5.10 xFIP...

And yeah 2/3 of an inning per start over an entire season is actually quite huge.

Oh yeah I forgot... luck doesn't matter in batting but it does in pitching! Analytics logic. Or is it clutch and luck don't exist unless our numbers say otherwise. 2 guys same defense same parks one unlucky on era the other lucky.

You can't convince me 20 ip a season changes a guys worth from bag o balls to empty your farm.

Does that also go for Archer... the rays D behind him comment?

No, because his fielding independent stats aren't horrific. And he's not an extreme flyball pitcher skying all of his batted balls to Kevin Kiermaier.

It's a fair argument for the numerous seasons in which Archer had an ERA in the 3.20's maybe.

Side note

61 starts 331 ip 3.89 era worth a bag o balls

Let’s wait to see if this is truly a “bag o balls.”

Tampa has not been extremely well run lately but they’re a team of professional evaluators...I remember people making fun of our return of a bunch of low-A fodder for Lind. Now there’s Freddy Peralta. Palacios looks promising. Gotta think TB really likes him.

Side note

Tampa has not been extremely well run lately but they’re a team of professional evaluators...I remember people making fun of our return of a bunch of low-A fodder for Lind. Now there’s Freddy Peralta. Palacios looks promising. Gotta think TB really likes him.

Not defensively. Nor Base stealing. 20 of 34? SS RF was 3.97. Wasnt a lot of BBs, so he's Arcia lite full grade or 2 below at every aspect to Arcia. And thats if he maintains his production the higher he climbs. This is borderline ML starter or just a AAAA profile. Turns 22 this year with A ball highest level experience.

You're right this is an equivalent to the Brewers trade of Lind, but its not as its 1 for 1 not 1 for 4.

Side note

Not defensively. Nor Base stealing. 20 of 34? SS RF was 3.97. Wasnt a lot of BBs, so he's Arcia lite full grade or 2 below at every aspect to Arcia. And thats if he maintains his production the higher he climbs. This is borderline ML starter or just a AAAA profile. Turns 22 this year with A ball highest level experience.

You're right this is an equivalent to the Brewers trade of Lind, but its not as its 1 for 1 not 1 for 4.

20 isn’t reallly old for high A. He’s not Lindor or Arcia in terms of progression but he could make a dent in the league. I am admittedly going off very little but I have to think the Rays see at least something.

Side note

Yeah yeah... you're being fair to the prospect. But even if he's a carmona like prospect... doesn't it still take him and a few other tickets. I mean essentially he went for less than Jason Rogers. Or for roughly the rental price for swarzak.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I guess I'm still waiting to see if this is really Odorizzi for a low level prospect. If so, that's pretty stunning (at least in my opinion). If so, I guess teams opinions of Odorizzi really tanked over the past year. I never expected him to net a ton of value - but more than what they appear to have gotten.

I guess I'm still waiting to see if this is really Odorizzi for a low level prospect. If so, that's pretty stunning (at least in my opinion). If so, I guess teams opinions of Odorizzi really tanked over the past year. I never expected him to net a ton of value - but more than what they appear to have gotten.

The Twins announced the trade as official as reported. I realize they are more desirable pitchers, but the value of the draft pick being forfeited for signing Arrieta, Lynn, or Cobb is likely higher than the value of the prospect the Rays acquired.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Odorizzi was trending very badly, I wouldn't have felt good about him in our rotation. It's not like he's this mid rotation starter that he was even 2 years back. Also I'm not sure there was much of a market for him. The Yankees may have wanted him but thats within the division. The Twins are a very savvy front office, they weren't gonna get duped like the Mariners FO in the lind deal.

The Twins announced the trade as official as reported. I realize they are more desirable pitchers, but the value of the draft pick being forfeited for signing Arrieta, Lynn, or Cobb is likely higher than the value of the prospect the Rays acquired.

I got to agree with both of you. I am surprised at how little the Twins had to give up for Jake O.

Compared to the cost of Arietta/ Cobb/ Lynn in both contract & draft pick loss, Odorizzi appears to be a bargain..

We will see how he does away from the dome of Tampa..

Archived