Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training thread

MoreTrife
Any reports on how Braun did at first?

Saw he scooped a bad throw from Perez to end one inning.

And then there is this.

Ryan Braun used an outfield glove for his first base debut today because he doesn't have his own first base mitt broken in yet. He didn't have much else to say -- he asked to wait a couple of weeks before he assesses how it's going there.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hiura hasn't had a ton of good results yet, but he looks very good at the plate. Pleeeeeeeease let him stick at 2b. He has Sheffield like bat speed.

I've seen a couple others say he's looked good. I haven't seen his every AB but of the 4 or 5 I have seen he hasn't even fouled a pitch off yet. Just looks super overmatched with no approach other than "swing at every pitch and hope I hit it."

Even though the results this spring have been less than stellar, watching him last year with the T-Rats I have no doubt his ability at the plate is the real deal.

What results have been bad? He's hitting a touch over .450 after today, granted both hits were infield singles. How much better do you expect him to hit???

Are you referring to weak contact, or empty swings? The stats add up, but I've only seen one game so far.

Hiura hasn't had a ton of good results yet, but he looks very good at the plate. Pleeeeeeeease let him stick at 2b. He has Sheffield like bat speed.

I've seen a couple others say he's looked good. I haven't seen his every AB but of the 4 or 5 I have seen he hasn't even fouled a pitch off yet. Just looks super overmatched with no approach other than "swing at every pitch and hope I hit it."

Hey, apparently some just have the ability with bat speed & hand eye coordination to get away with it! He is just finding holes everywhere so far! Def needs at least a year to adjust to competition level. Bat could be special though few years though!

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Hiura with a nice game today, he looks like a very good contact hitter with high batting average and OBP.

And Wren looks like Ted Williams. I'm excited about Hiura too, but we really REALLY need to put ST performance in context, especially extremely small sample sizes.

I think Santana can have a monster year. I’d say he’s under appreciated nationally. He’s not a Red Sock or Yankee and people are misled by his demeanor.

Didn’t he take Kershaw deep in a 1-0 Brewer victory? He’s got the confidence to handle himself in tough situations. Decent average for a power hitter, good OBP, can hit against good pitchers, good arm.

Stearns should wait for the right return or heck we can win with him. The notion that guys like Santana can be found anywhere is pure folly.

Hiura with a nice game today, he looks like a very good contact hitter with high batting average and OBP.

And Wren looks like Ted Williams. I'm excited about Hiura too, but we really REALLY need to put ST performance in context, especially extremely small sample sizes.

After three of the most recent prospects to get really hyped in spring training either underwhelmed (Erceg, Haniger) or got injured (Williams) that season, perhaps that is for the best.

After three of the most recent prospects to get really hyped in spring training either underwhelmed (Erceg, Haniger) or got injured (Williams) that season, perhaps that is for the best.

Williams got derailed but still looks electric. Erceg made it to AAA in just his second season since being drafted. Haniger last season for the mariners hit .282/.352/.491/.843 16 homers and 25 doubles in 400PA...

So, spring hype can sometimes be fools gold, but the 3 your names have not been fools gold.

Williams got derailed but still looks electric. Erceg made it to AAA in just his second season since being drafted. Haniger last season for the mariners hit .282/.352/.491/.843 16 homers and 25 doubles in 400PA...

So, spring hype can sometimes be fools gold, but the 3 your names have not been fools gold.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was making a joke about it being a curse for the following season (should have probably put something in blue). In a larger sense, though, the spring hype has a tendency to make it seem like these guys are knocking on the major league doorstep, but in a couple of these cases, that wasn't true (we'll never really know how fast Williams could have moved). Haniger lived up to the hype, but it took him a few years in the upper levels of the minors and a couple different teams to do it, and while I am still high on Erceg, the statement that he made AAA last year should come with an asterisk given the circumstances.

Basically, these spring successes can offer a tantalizing glimpse of what a player could be but, especially for guys who have seen little time above high-A, should probably be taken with a grain of salt when analyzing what the player is now.

We also need to remember this is hiura's 1st pro spring training - majors or minors...if he even comes close to looking the part, it's a huge plus.

At this stage in the spring he's looking the part against other players who are trying to look the part. According to baseball reference his spring training opponent quality is the equivalent of high-A ball.

Thames was a late scratch from the lineup today. No reason was given.

#HugWatch

Braun scooped a ball with his OF glove and Brewers now comfortable he will be gold Glover with 1B mitt. Thames no longer needed.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Thames was a late scratch from the lineup today. No reason was given.

#HugWatch

Braun scooped a ball with his OF glove and Brewers now comfortable he will be gold Glover with 1B mitt. Thames no longer needed.

As it turns out, Thames has a stiff back. Precautionary.

#HugWatchOff

And Miley looked great in the 1st inning with a couple K's.

#CounsellpicksWadefor#5 #ForegoneConclusion

Thought the same thing but being serious. Not what I want but more along the lines of Milone nonsense. Not like he's battling for the 5 spot vs anyone. Suter can long man... yo guerra aren't good either... wilkerson can stay down.

Well if he can be a 4.8 like Garza it shouldn't kill us... sigh... cobb please.

Miley with 5 Ks in 2 innings, no runs. Dare I say we've found our TOR guy?
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Miley looks better than Yo, Guerra, & is pounding the zone so far. If he continues to perform well I don't see the issue with him being in the rotation. Millone was terrible in ST last year not really comparable.

Miley looks better than Yo, Guerra, & is pounding the zone so far. If he continues to perform well I don't see the issue with him being in the rotation. Millone was terrible in ST last year not really comparable.

We're a week into Spring Training. Eventually the league is gonna catch up to that flat 88 MPH heater. He knows he's pitching for a job, so he's gonna be as "on" as he can be.

We're a week into Spring Training. Eventually the league is gonna catch up to that flat 88 MPH heater. He knows he's pitching for a job, so he's gonna be as "on" as he can be.

The gun said between 91-94. MLB track said that as well. Breaking stuff looked good no real hard contact. Will see if he can keep it up. Mid-March will be the real test.

The gun said between 91-94. MLB track said that as well. Breaking stuff looked good no real hard contact. Will see if he can keep it up. Mid-March will be the real test.

It's the type of showing that would give previous Brewer managers a false sense of security. If he makes the rotation over guys like Suter and Woodruff, it will be disappointing.

It's the type of showing that would give previous Brewer managers a false sense of security. If he makes the rotation over guys like Suter and Woodruff, it will be disappointing.

Woodruff yes Suter not so much. Suter is a left handed Carlos Villanueva. Don't want to really on him to eat a ton of inngs. His value is maximized as a swing man. Adding Cobb is preferable thou.

Archived