Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training thread

MoreTrife
I wasn't able to find it Googling, but I think one of the beat writers posted something last week saying Braun wouldn't be in any games for the first few days while spending extra time at first base on the practice field. Sounded like it was in the plans to not rush him in. In-game experience is going to be huge if he pulls this off, but I'm sure he's got a lot of grounders to take and footwork to fine tune before they throw him into action anyways, so in the meantime they can also give some extra playing time to some guys competing for spots (ie. Choi).

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I attended Saturday's game in Tempe. The only two takeaways from that game not discussed here were as follows:

1. Kyle Wren had three at bats and absolutely tattooed three balls. Obviously one game, but I was surprised to see him look so good.

2. Keston Hiura looked awful defensively and over-matched at the plate.

I wasn't able to find it Googling, but I think one of the beat writers posted something last week saying Braun wouldn't be in any games for the first few days while spending extra time at first base on the practice field. Sounded like it was in the plans to not rush him in. In-game experience is going to be huge if he pulls this off, but I'm sure he's got a lot of grounders to take and footwork to fine tune before they throw him into action anyways, so in the meantime they can also give some extra playing time to some guys competing for spots (ie. Choi).

Thank you for the input. That answers the question, when I already stated being a vet I understand why he might not be.

Just as another comment above, says he's never played 1b in his career, thus my concern. I didn't know why he'd been kept out of 4games for that kind of inexperience. Injury would have explained this too.

Adam McCalvy just posted this on Twitter in the last 10 minutes or so:

We're expecting Ryan Braun's spring debut today, but he said he'd make a start in the outfield first. Should see him at first base for the first time on Tuesday or Wednesday.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Adam McCalvy just posted this on Twitter in the last 10 minutes or so:

We're expecting Ryan Braun's spring debut today, but he said he'd make a start in the outfield first. Should see him at first base for the first time on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I love your username and profile picture. Awesome stuff!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Thanks. Yeah clearly I love that movie.

Further points of interest, probable starters:

Monday: Junior Guerra

Tuesday: Chase Anderson

Wednesday: Zach Davies

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Thanks. Yeah clearly I love that movie.

Further points of interest, probable starters:

Monday: Junior Guerra

Tuesday: Chase Anderson

Wednesday: Zach Davies

So so far we have had the following start or to be scheduled to start games this spring:

Chacin

Guerra

Anderson

Davies

Suter

Wilkerson

Might give us some insight as to who has the inside track on rotation spots.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Drake gives up 2 hits and a walk to start the 4th inning.

If he is going to have any chance to make the team(don't think he will) he is going to have to be lights out this spring

Him and webb are so far down my list of who I want in the pen that they might as well be wang.

The foul ball guy in the Sonny Gray jersey has to be "Swing and a Drive".

I honestly wish it was.

I could maybe see Tim Dillard pitch again. What a pleasure!

Could've kept Baker over Drake.

Could've kept/signed anyone with a higher ceiling than Drake.

Well the good news is that the only guy who we should roster on the 25 going into the season who pitched today was one of the very few who looked good.

I hope we jump out trusting our youth. Drake Yo Guerra Miley retred stuff could get frustrating. We have 3 starters and 6 bp locked in. The other 4 should be woodruff suter wilkerson and williams.

Age doesn’t matter for me. Get the right mixture and jump out of the gates hot and don’t look back. If that means Yo, Guerra or whoever fine with me. Just win baby! (I will admit I’m pulling for a Gallardo rebound. Would be a very cool story seeing him contribute to a winner)

Is this a record? 71 pitches while scoring 7 runs? 11 hits. My word! How about 90 for Cleveland? So combined 161 pitches in a 13run combined game.... Hernan Perez 3 ABs 3 Pitches, he's in midseason form. Broxton 3 ABs 3 pitches. The box score I'm looking at has to be wrong or I'm just amazed at this batting approach from just about everyone. Cain 3 ABs 4 pitches.

The box score I'm looking at

Do yourself a favor and stop looking at spring training box scores, especially in games before March... they are always wrong and most times are lucky to identify all the at bats properly with all the substitutions going on - forget having accurate stats within individual ABs as far as pitches seen.

Archived