Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training thread

MoreTrife
  • Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does Choi have an opt out if he doesn’t make our roster? Might lose him if he does.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Love reading the brewers.com article about Yo returning to using the top of the zone. From the time he was drafted, he always showed an uncanny knack for striking guys out looking on heaters above the belt. I remember at the draft video noting his knack for this, and it carried over into MLB. Under Mike Maddux, the Brewers placed an emphasis on pitching up in the zone. Sheets registered a ton of K's on high heaters, in part because guys expected the ball to be a curveball dropping. We can all--sadly--remember Chad Moeller et all setting up flapping their gloves high to tell the pitcher "up here!"

Does Choi have an opt out if he doesn’t make our roster? Might lose him if he does.

Ji-Man Choi can opt out of his agreement with the Brewers and become a Free Agent at the end of Spring Training as well as on June 15 (Link). He is basically showcasing himself for every team in MLB this spring.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Ji-Man Choi can opt out of his agreement with the Brewers at the end of Spring Training as well as on June 15 (Link). So he is basically showcasing himself for every team in MLB this spring.

Move Thames. Braun to 1B permanently and Choi to our bench. Would be alright with me.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

FYI - it appears that the Tribe/ Brewer game on Monday 2/26 will be shown MLB Network at 8E/ 7C.

Scheduled starters: Tomlin (for CLE) vs Guerra (for MKE). I'm guessing both are slated to go 2 IP (or a certain pitch count)..

I know the game is being played in the afternoon so the MLB Network broadcast will be tape delay.

From a CLE perspective: I will be interested to see who follows Tomlin to the mound for the Tribe. Across 3 games so far, no in game action for Kluber, Carassco, Salazar, A Miller or Cody Allen. I understand Salazar is a few weeks behind the rest of the staff so his being on the list in not surprising. The other 4 being on this list is a little curious...

Can't believe the Villar groupies are handing him the job based on 2 games in February. They must be missing Sogard and Perez' ABs.

:rolleyes Still upset he kicked Gennett to the curb I see.

Choi of the MLB career .665 OPS? Seems like a classic 4A player getting hot in spring like we see every year and get excited about.

Major League plate appearances... 147

Almost 2,000 plate appearances in the minors with an OPS of .900

He will be hitting the beginning of his prime this year. He will definitely be an interesting one to follow.

Choi of the MLB career .665 OPS? Seems like a classic 4A player getting hot in spring like we see every year and get excited about.

He will be hitting the beginning of his prime this year. He will definitely be an interesting one to follow.

Maybe, he could. More likely he's just a borderline major leaguer having a hot spring.

Maybe, he could. More likely he's just a borderline major leaguer having a hot spring.

Jesus Aguilar has a .800 OPS in 4,000 Minor League games.

Here's my question. Where is Braun and what's keeping him from playing? I realize he's a vet that shouldn't need a lot of time to prepare for the season, but he's not playing his OF position. He's a rookie at 1b or 2b. He needs to be seeing 2 innings here, 3 innings there at those spots defensively. Sure it's only 4 games and the roster to pull from is large, but I'm curious if he's healthy or is he already suffering some injury?

Here's my question. Where is Braun and what's keeping him from playing? I realize he's a vet that shouldn't need a lot of time to prepare for the season, but he's not playing his OF position. He's a rookie at 1b or 2b. He needs to be seeing 2 innings here, 3 innings there at those spots defensively. Sure it's only 4 games and the roster to pull from is large, but I'm curious if he's healthy or is he already suffering some injury?

Braun is always late into game action. The vet thing and age. They let him work in slowly. He will start playing OF I think they said today or tomorrow. He works 1B everyday but Brewers and Braun both want to be comfortable with the basics of first base before seeing game action. Braun has literally never played there in his entire life so he is trying to figure it out. Think the goal is for him to see game action there by end of the week. There is no rush to throw him into the fire in the first four games. Still have I think 35 or so more days of spring training. Think a lot of people just think it is easy to start a new position you never have played before and dive right in. He will get his reps in. CC isn't a guy who doesn't have a plan in place.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

At this stage in Spring Training, the games are still the least important aspect about getting ready - especially for veterans. There are still multiple practice/training sessions going on for everyone at camp, and I'd argue Braun's time learning 1B is much better spent at this point on a practice field taking a ton of reps compared to logging 3 innings of a game out there.

If they are serious about him playing significant innings at 1B, we'll see him plenty there during the 2nd half of spring training.

Plenty of vets don’t really do much the first week of ST. Move away from the ledge a bit.

Plenty of vets don’t really do much the first week of ST. Move away from the ledge a bit.

Someone was asking a simple question, your 2nd sentence is really unnecessary.

It went from a question of if he's played to questioning if he's already hurt. Seems a bit much for a guy that never plays in the first week of spring training. And my second sentence really isn't that bad, so call off the attack dogs already. :rolleyes

Archived