Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training thread

MoreTrife
Drake got beat up yesterday so that’s good. And I think there’s a better chance Broxton spends 2018 in AAA than being traded for peanuts.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hiura just made an error on what looked to be a relatively easier one hopper.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Drake got beat up yesterday so that’s good. And I think there’s a better chance Broxton spends 2018 in AAA than being traded for peanuts.

Probably right. Having some depth and injury insurance in Colorado Springs isn't the worst thing in the world. In hindsight they were smart not to keep him down for 20 days last year or whatever the limit is and preserved that last option.

Hiura just made an error on what looked to be a relatively easier one hopper.

Between that, and Orf, and Santana yesterday, and a couple other plays I'm probably forgetting, the defense has been awful. I mean, it's spring, no big deal, but it's been hideous.

Diplan is another guy on the 40 that is very intriguing.

The future of this bullpen is really bright and I expect the 8 man pen to be our standard now going forward.

The most fun thing about ST to me is seeing our young pitching prospects in action. Loved watching Burnes yesterday and Williams today.

When your only job in the game is to come in and pinch run after a leadoff double, and on the very first pitch you get caught in a rundown, can't even stay in it long enough to get the other guy to 2nd and get him out too.

3 games in including a SS and I've seen villar leading off twice... he's doing well and my fandom is on suicide watch.

Don't get me wrong, I want him to succeed badly but you can not agrue he's one of our best 5 hitters no matter how you stack this lineup. The astros lead off Springer who stole 35 bases in 58 attempts in 4 years. He bats there for his 360 obp. We signed Cain to do that! Stop driving me bonkers by batting our 6th or 7th best (at best) stick 1st. Just stop!

Batting order at this part of ST means nothing. Guys they want to see get AB's will hit near the top so they get more chances. Having said that, I still wouldn't be surprised if Villar hits leadoff on a semi-regular basis because he fits the "mold".

Where do you see Cain and Yellich if Villar hits lead off, 2/3? If not Cain at 6?

Batting order at this part of ST means nothing. Guys they want to see get AB's will hit near the top so they get more chances. Having said that, I still wouldn't be surprised if Villar hits leadoff on a semi-regular basis because he fits the "mold".

Where do you see Cain and Yellich if Villar hits lead off, 2/3? If not Cain at 6?

How about:

Villar

Cain

Yelich

Braun

Shaw

Santana

It’s not like Shaw is a given to repeat.

How about:

Villar

Cain

Yelich

Braun

Shaw

Santana

Yea, but Braun is not playing first base everyday either. You won't ever see Yellich, Thames, Shaw stacked together.

To me if you have Santana in the lineup for his bat he hits no lower than 5th. I don't think you tolerate poor defense for your 6 hole hitter.

Lots of possible lineups going to make for a very interesting spring and start to the season.

It’ll be interesting to see what Shaw is this year. Could see a mid .700’s from him in the OPS category but could add middle to upper .800’s as well.

How about:

Villar

Cain

Yelich

Braun

Shaw

Santana

I would go...

Villar

Yelich

Braun

Shaw

Santana

Cain

Pina

Arcia

I am not in favor of Villar leading off until he proves he is 2016 Villar and not 2017. Generally speaking, you want your best hitters hitting the most. Having Cain 6th while Villar is hitting 1st just doesn't make much sense to me. The difference hitting #1 vs #6 is a couple of at bats a week. Those should go to Cain/Yelich at this point over Villar/Sogard/2B.

This is probably just me thinking too much but Villar also has a Gomez streak in him on the basepaths that scares me and I'd prefer not to have Cain and Yelich hitting with that happening. Villar's wild style is fine if he is hitting 7th and we need a create an opportunity to score with Arcia and the pitcher coming up. Cain and Yelich are really good hitter, I'd rather they get to hit the pitch they want to rather than having to take a few so Villar can try to get a jump.

For me:

Cain

Yelich

Braun

Shaw

Santana

Villar

Pina

Arcia

Appropriate switch when Thames plays as necessary..

I am not in favor of Villar leading off until he proves he is 2016 Villar and not 2017. Generally speaking, you want your best hitters hitting the most. Having Cain 6th while Villar is hitting 1st just doesn't make much sense to me. The difference hitting #1 vs #6 is a couple of at bats a week. Those should go to Cain/Yelich at this point over Villar/Sogard/2B.

This is probably just me thinking too much but Villar also has a Gomez streak in him on the basepaths that scares me and I'd prefer not to have Cain and Yelich hitting with that happening. Villar's wild style is fine if he is hitting 7th and we need a create an opportunity to score with Arcia and the pitcher coming up. Cain and Yelich are really good hitter, I'd rather they get to hit the pitch they want to rather than having to take a few so Villar can try to get a jump.

For me:

Cain

Yelich

Braun

Shaw

Santana

Villar

Pina

Arcia

Appropriate switch when Thames plays as necessary..

This. I'm very onboard with Villar 6th and hoping he can get his OBP going... and add pressure on the base paths for some added run production from 6-7-8. Pina arcia can single him in from 2nd. In the current structure of lineups, obp hr is the driver... but speed at 6th with good average guys could lead to more of a manufactured run feel to the bottom of the order when power and obp drops off.

I like that build. If we went nl dh villars at 9 without blinking.

Nice debut by the Korean Ji-Man Choi, 2 hits one homer 2 rbis.

He’s played in all three days. 4 for 6 with two walks, a double, a HR, and a couple RBI’s. So far he’s looked pretty good in the field too.

Archived