Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training thread

MoreTrife
8 of 23 starts going over 80 pitches in the last 2 years proves your point?

50% in the last 3 years proves your point?

80 pitches.

It was 80 pitches and more. He went over 100 in a game. You said

So you have

suter who burns out easy

And the examples I've given you was showing he doesn't. You are refusing to accept that he can and the fact Managers pulled him before he could attain these. See minor league pitchers have Innings limits put on them. Removing the pitcher when it appears he often completed 5 IP. and he'd be under 70 pitches. He pitches to contact, it's softer due I'd guess to his velocity as well as his height creating vertical drop. So he is efficient often in the minors and in games pitched in the Majors to be at or under 70 pitches when he's thrown 5IP.

He doesn't burn out easy as to your claim.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Per TH: Counsell is happy with how Ryan Braun has handled 1B this spring and said Braun will start there against lefties.

Brewers face a lefty — Clayton Richard — on Opening Day.

Braun will start at 1B on Opening Day.

“That’s some investigative journalism there,” CC said.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It annoys me how hard Brandon Woodruff is trying get sent to Colorado Springs. Giving up a double to the pitcher today might seal his fate. Was really hoping for him to claim the 5th starter spot today.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

"Last thing first, who is Nelson the 3.1 ERA horse? Nelson has never had a 3.1 ERA, and it's hard to call a guy a horse who has just 4 career WAR."

Nelson started off the season with 5 starts 28.2 ip and a 5.34 era.

His next 143.666 in 23 starts (6.25 ip/start) at roughly 3.1 era was one of the big factors to our successful season.

That guy was the biggesr of 3 guys who saved our rotation and made our season.

"Last thing first, who is Nelson the 3.1 ERA horse? Nelson has never had a 3.1 ERA, and it's hard to call a guy a horse who has just 4 career WAR."

Nelson started off the season with 5 starts 28.2 ip and a 5.34 era.

His next 143.666 in 23 starts (6.25 ip/start) at roughly 3.1 era was one of the big factors to our successful season.

That guy was the biggesr of 3 guys who saved our rotation and made our season.

Nelson was an ace when he got hurt. He put it together after he had a bad stretch of three starts following two quality outings (starts 3-5, he got clubbed like a baby seal, but not as bad as he was on August 11 by the Reds). Looking over the game logs, I do not dispute that.

That said, I think we should not assume that Nelson can jump right in and be that "horse" he was after those first five starts. He's coming off an injury, and I expect that the first month or so back, he probably will not be the 3.10 ERA guy, he'll be closer to the "starts 3-5 in 2017" guy as he gets back in the groove against hitters in mid-season form.

If all goes well, if he has no setbacks, if he locks down his control as he did in 2017, and if the Brewers get luck they haven't always had, we may get the "ace" Nelson around August - making him kind of a deadline acquisition. But that is only if there aren't setbacks. My guess is that he will not truly be "ace" Nelson until 2019, what we will see is more 2015 Nelson (the guy who was 11-13 with a 4.11 ERA) in 2018. Worst case might see him revert to the 2016 Nelson who led the league in walks, HBP, and losses in 2018, be the 2015 Nelson in 2019, and never regain the ace form he had for 25 of his 29 starts in 2017.

Choi having a great spring training, pretty sad if he doesn't make the team.

Unfortunately they don't even have room for Aguilar much less Choi.

Choi's only realistic chance of cracking the roster would be if they surprised us with a Thames trade in a logjam freeing move.

Choi having a great spring training, pretty sad if he doesn't make the team.

Unfortunately they don't even have room for Aguilar much less Choi.

Choi's only realistic chance of cracking the roster would be if they surprised us with a Thames trade in a logjam freeing move.

I know Jesus is a good locker room guy and had a solid year last year, especially as a PH, but with a large sample size Choi was a much better minor league hitter. He also plays multiple positions defensively. He never has hit major league pitching but very small sample size. He at least would peak some interest you would think.

Per Todd Rosiak

Ji-Man Choi had this to say about the Brewers' unique chemistry this morning: "It feels like I'm at an amusement park with friends. We're able to keep it professional, but have fun as well. Everybody is always having fun. It's something unique I haven't seen on previous teams."

Thought this was a really cool quote. Good to hear.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Not Brewers related but still MLB and spring training related.

Legitimately entertaining play by Mookie Betts, mic'd up while playing defense. The fact Betts has a mic on makes an otherwise standard play kind of awesome.

https://twitter.com/iamjoonlee/status/978697625439531011

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Tommy John almost seems like a right of passage for hard throwers nowadays. I'd still take Puk's upside over Ray, especially considering the value of pitching in today's market. Puk looked absolutely electric this spring. This is obviously a setback for him, but he should emerge fine on the other side. He has legit ace potential, whereas Ray, unless he really picks it up, profiles as a #4 OF.

Archived