Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training thread

MoreTrife
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If Miley does make the rotation, then Stearns is full of **** with the young controllable talk...

If they would've signed one of the 30+ year olds in free agency would he have been then too?

Apples and oranges. Signing one of those guys would be an obvious upgrade. Miley demonstrably is not.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Miley does make the rotation, then Stearns is full of **** with the young controllable talk...

If they would've signed one of the 30+ year olds in free agency would he have been then too?

Yes... I now believe we were never really players for any of the big SPs.

Agreed, Miley needs to get shelled again today... Otherwise sadly he's in the rotation and probably Game 3 in SD.

Please no...My 3 day bachelor party in San Diego includes going to all three games against the Padres. Give me Anderson, Chacin and Suter/Woodruff please.

Haha sorry man... Im guessing our rotation will be...

Anderson

Chacin

Miley

Davies

If the 4 man rotation talk is legit...

I hope Miley gets shelled today and we release him... Then I bet it will be...

Anderson

Chacin

Suter

Davies

Wow, people hoping a guy gets shelled. Instead of hoping everyone does good and let the best man win we hope guys do terrible so who you **think** is the best can get it.

Wow, just wow.

That is an extremely myopic viewpoint. Spring Training stats don't really matter, unless you are a rookie or a reclamation project. And right now, that is what is vying for the 4-5 spots in the rotation. If Miley getting shelled now leads the team to cut bait, rather than getting shelled in games that matter, I'd rather Miley make the decision easy for them now.

Wow, people hoping a guy gets shelled. Instead of hoping everyone does good and let the best man win we hope guys do terrible so who you **think** is the best can get it.

Wow, just wow.

Yeah, it would seem more plausible to just ask for a great outing tonight from Suter, and a good outing from Woodruff next time out.

I think Miley will need to do something amazing to get a job. I think the Crew really likes Suter and Woodruff.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Wow, just wow.

That is an extremely myopic viewpoint. Spring Training stats don't really matter, unless you are a rookie or a reclamation project. And right now, that is what is vying for the 4-5 spots in the rotation. If Miley getting shelled now leads the team to cut bait, rather than getting shelled in games that matter, I'd rather Miley make the decision easy for them now.

Yes, exactly... We're gonna need all the W's we can get during the regular season.

Wow, just wow.

Yeah, it would seem more plausible to just ask for a great outing tonight from Suter, and a good outing from Woodruff next time out.

I think Miley will need to do something amazing to get a job. I think the Crew really likes Suter and Woodruff.

I hope you are right. The things that Counsell has said about Miley scare me, though. Haudricourt and McCalvy basically writing him into the rotation also scares me, although that could just be them being lazy too.

Wow, just wow.

Like Woodruff so much that he's probably gonna be optioned to AAA, when he has nothing left to prove down there.

Wow, just wow.

If ST stats don’t matter then why do you(others, whoever) hope Miley gets shelled? It literally does not matter apparently. If you realize that, and assuming it is true, I am pretty confident David Stearns Co. knows that too.

That being said players fighting for roster spots I would say performance matters. Those guys likely aren’t experimenting like veterans who are assured their spot. Chase Anderson is tinkering around so that is a different story. A guy like Suter or Miley is likely giving their all every time. I am sure they have scouts looking at them and figuring out which is best well past their statistics etc. They will pick who they believe is the best option and I will be happy with that.

I’m guessing most of the people who want him to get shelled haven’t watched him throw a single pitch this spring. They just hated the signing, hate Miley, and want nothing to do with him no matter what he does in spring training.

Wow, just wow.

If ST stats don’t matter then why do you(others, whoever) hope Miley gets shelled? It literally does not matter apparently. If you realize that, and assuming it is true, I am pretty confident David Stearns Co. knows that too.

That being said players fighting for roster spots I would say performance matters. Those guys likely aren’t experimenting like veterans who are assured their spot. Chase Anderson is tinkering around so that is a different story. A guy like Suter or Miley is likely giving their all every time. I am sure they have scouts looking at them and figuring out which is best well past their statistics etc. They will pick who they believe is the best option and I will be happy with that.

I’m guessing most of the people who want him to get shelled haven’t watched him throw a single pitch this spring. They just hated the signing, hate Miley, and want nothing to do with him no matter what he does in spring training.

Your argument makes absolutely no sense. Did you even read my post? Miley would most assuredly fall into the "reclamation project" category. Yes, Spring Training stats matter for those guys.

Well, today is the day we'll find out of the Brewers are going to go with Wade Miley in the rotation, or if they will make the smart decision. I have to admit, I'm kinda hoping for a 14-13 Brewer win.

Agreed, Miley needs to get shelled again today... Otherwise sadly he's in the rotation and probably Game 3 in SD.

If Miley does make the rotation, then Stearns is full of **** with the young controllable talk... Otherwise our rotation would be...

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

Woodruff

Suter

You are taking the 'young controllable' concept way too literally. Was the Yelich trade not a move to add a young, controllable asset?

'Young, controllable' does not mean that every roster move we make will be in favor of the younger player. Sometimes the younger player will be additional depth in the minors to start out.

Wow, just wow.

You want Wade Miley and his last 2 season results starting every 5th day for us this year?

I don't see where anyone has said that they want Wade Miley to pitch every 5 days and put up a 5+ ERA for most of the year for the Brewers. I have seen people say that if he has a good spring, and the Brewers management decides he's the #5 guy, they will be various degrees of ok with that decision. Personally, if they chose to go with Miley, I will be ok with that, but I hope he gets a short leash. Guerra could have a slightly longer leash. If they go with Woodruff, and/or other young guys out of the gate, then the leash needs to be long.

You want Wade Miley and his last 2 season results starting every 5th day for us this year?

It isn't a foregone conclusion that you will get those last two seasons of results. That's what makes this game great. If he were to make the team, who knows what Johnson could turn him into. Maybe he doesn't even make it but you just don't know the end result.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Miley through 4 now. Two hits, no runs.

I hope Woodruff has a lease ready to sign in Colorado Springs. I guess we're going to have to deal with the "Miley Blow-Up Game" every third or fourth time through the rotation for awhile.

That's what makes me dislike pitchers like Miley. They show enough in 1/2 or 3/4 of their starts to give you hope, then lose focus and get destroyed. But teams regularly give them shots because the "potential is there", even if the same results seem to happen year after year.

Miley may make the rotation but I think we are putting a bit too much on the outcomes start to start. He will be in the rotation if Johnson feels there’s something there to warrant it is my guess.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Who's the pitching coach in Baltimore? Maybe that has something to do with how bad Miley was there.

I will gladly take the Miley from Arizona and Boston as our 5th starter.

Gimme this staff and go to battle...

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

Woodruff

Miley

Knebel

Hader

Albers

Barnes or Williams

Logan

Jeffress

Suter

Miley may make the rotation but I think we are putting a bit too much on the outcomes start to start. He will be in the rotation if Johnson feels there’s something there to warrant it is my guess.

It's important to remember that he isn't the Dalai Lama of pitching coaches either. His coaching hasn't been the magic elixir for everyone. Wily Peralta arguably has had the best "stuff" of any pitcher with the team in the last decade, and Johnson couldn't get through to him. I am very happy he is the team's pitching coach, but I think some credit for their success does go to Anderson, Davies and Nelson as well. Sometimes pitchers just figure it out and go on to have success.

Archived