Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training thread

MoreTrife
  • Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CF Keon Broxton has realistic view of additions of Lorenzo Cain and Christian Yelich: "I can’t say I’m happy about it but it’s good for the team. Those are two solid players. Those guys have played better than me throughout my career. So, I really can’t be mad."

Broxton's goal is to get better and not worry about OF glut with Cain and Yelich: "I know what I need to do to be where I want to be. I know if I played better, this probably wouldn’t have happened."

I see nothing wrong with anything Broxton said. In fact I would categorize it as saying the right things.

I agree. The anti-Cravy, IMO.

Starting to think T. Williams might make the club out of spring.

How come? I ask because it just makes too much sense to put him in AAA over losing another pitcher because they don't have options.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Counsell said we're going with 8 man bullpen.

4 man bench could be a thread of its own. Make this roster fit a 4 man bench on offense. If Brauns "I'm not playing 1st often" comment is legit? Yikes. Whats the 4-5 starters 7-8 pen makeup. Piggyback stuff on the way?

Suter wilkerson split squad day 1... welcome back baseball? Hey it could be Gallardo miley so I'll shut up.

How come? I ask because it just makes too much sense to put him in AAA over losing another pitcher because they don't have options.

1) It makes too much sense to keep the 8 best relievers. That's why they invested in Yelich and Cain - the window is open.

B) If they don't make the team, what are the chances they are good enough to make someone else's team? Most of the guys who don't make the team aren't claimed by other teams. I'm not going to get worked up over losing Gallardo, Guerra, Drake, Webb, or even Lopez at this point.

4 man bench could be a thread of its own. Make this roster fit a 4 man bench on offense. If Brauns "I'm not playing 1st often" comment is legit? Yikes. Whats the 4-5 starters 7-8 pen makeup. Piggyback stuff on the way?

Suter wilkerson split squad day 1... welcome back baseball? Hey it could be Gallardo miley so I'll shut up.

12 position players:

Yelich, Cain, Braun, Shaw, Arcia, Sogard, Thames, Pina, Perez, Vogt, Phillips. Last spot to either Santana if he's not traded or Aguilar. Broxton gets optioned but comes up when Phillips needs some regular ABs. They'll basically share a spot with one staying sharp in AAA.

1) It makes too much sense to keep the 8 best relievers. That's why they invested in Yelich and Cain - the window is open.

B) If they don't make the team, what are the chances they are good enough to make someone else's team? Most of the guys who don't make the team aren't claimed by other teams. I'm not going to get worked up over losing Gallardo, Guerra, Drake, Webb, or even Lopez at this point.

I don't know. A guy like Williams probably would be kept as #7 or #8 in terms of pecking order in the pen. I think it would be better to keep one of those guys you list (not Drake) in your B) answer and to have Williams get used frequently at AAA. He has an option which is great for stashing quality guys like him on your 40 man roster so that you may not lose out on another guy like you listed above that can also give you quality innings. The chances of us keeping 8 and only using 8 the entire year are slim. Strength in numbers.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

12 position players:

Yelich, Cain, Braun, Shaw, Arcia, Sogard, Thames, Pina, Perez, Vogt, Phillips. Last spot to either Santana if he's not traded or Aguilar. Broxton gets optioned but comes up when Phillips needs some regular ABs. They'll basically share a spot with one staying sharp in AAA.

You are missing Villar.

If Braun is not going to play a lot of 1B, Aguilar has to stay and both Phillips and Broxton are in AAA or traded as we don't need a 5th OF. If Braun IS going to play a lot of 1B - then Aguilar is a casualty and Phillips is the last man as the 4th OF.

We have our first set of lineups!!!

vs. ChC (@fswisconsin):

Broxton (CF)

Yelich (LF)

Santana (RF)

Aguilar (1B)

Pérez (3B)

Piña (DH)

Sogard (2B)

Arcia (SS)

Bandy ©

Suter (P)

at SF:

Villar (2B)

Thames (1B)

Cain (CF)

Shaw (3B)

Hiura (DH)

Vogt ©

Phillips (RF)

Wren (LF)

Dubon (SS),

Wilkerson (P)

We have our first set of lineups!!!

vs. ChC (@fswisconsin):

Broxton (CF)

Yelich (LF)

Santana (RF)

Aguilar (1B)

Pérez (3B)

Piña (DH)

Sogard (2B)

Arcia (SS)

Bandy ©

Suter (P)

at SF:

Villar (2B)

Thames (1B)

Cain (CF)

Shaw (3B)

Hiura (DH)

Vogt ©

Phillips (RF)

Wren (LF)

Dubon (SS),

Wilkerson (P)

Pretty solid for a split squad. Says a lot about the organization.

12 position players:

As said, no villar. Sogard Perez can't start at 2b and back up ss and 3b.

Switch phillips and villar and if you keep santana the only deoth at 1b is perez again or braun.

12 man with this group is rough.

Side note... villar broxton leading off... oh joy!

Ugh. Just got blacked out on directv here in Arizona. Supposed to be on mlb network but the game on right now is only in the 6th inning. So much for watching.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Santana had a double in his first at-bat, now misplayed a ball in right field. We are already in mid-season form!

Archived