Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training thread

MoreTrife
Suter getting tattoed today by the rangers. 4 runs in two innings.

Some poor defense in the 1st, and a leadoff HR in the 2nd, then settled in fine. I don't think it changes anything. He's in the rotation to start the year.

He did the damage on D himself, too. Charged with a throwing error.

Happens to every pitcher. Doesn't help that Hernan Perez is today's #3 hitter.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some poor defense in the 1st, and a leadoff HR in the 2nd, then settled in fine. I don't think it changes anything. He's in the rotation to start the year.

Unfortunately I believe you are 100% correct.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Unfortunately I believe you are 100% correct.

I wish he was competing for the #5 spot instead of the #4, but I like his chances at effectiveness much more than Miley or Guerra. I think we've reached the point of trying to make the best of an unfortunate situation.

So far, the worst Brewers 1B in spring training is Thames.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I was out there this week and frankly was appalled at Thames jogging instead of running. Whether it's a conscious decision on his part to preserve his legs, the fact is he simply isn't running faster than a jog is alarming. If it is a conscious decision to preserve his legs, then his leg issues must be pretty severe. He hit a ball up the middle the other day against the White Sox that ended up being fielded after about 10 bounces in medium center field by the 2B who threw him out easily. In another AB, he ball got by the catcher on a third strike and again he jogged down to first, only making it because the catcher slipped trying to pick up the ball at the screen and dropped it. If choosing the roster was based on spring performance, Choi sure looks like the better option at 1B, knowing that won't happen because of Thames' contract.

Also I've been hammered for mentioning Santana's K rate this year. He's fanned 19 times in 34 AB's. Last spring he fanned 20 times in 60 AB's so that's pretty significant regression.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I was out there this week and frankly was appalled at Thames jogging instead of running. Whether it's a conscious decision on his part to preserve his legs, the fact is he simply isn't running faster than a jog is alarming. If it is a conscious decision to preserve his legs, then his leg issues must be pretty severe. He hit a ball up the middle the other day against the White Sox that ended up being fielded after about 10 bounces in medium center field by the 2B who threw him out easily. In another AB, he ball got by the catcher on a third strike and again he jogged down to first, only making it because the catcher slipped trying to pick up the ball at the screen and dropped it. If choosing the roster was based on spring performance, Choi sure looks like the better option at 1B, knowing that won't happen because of Thames' contract.

Also I've been hammered for mentioning Santana's K rate this year. He's fanned 19 times in 34 AB's. Last spring he fanned 20 times in 60 AB's so that's pretty significant regression.

Regarding Thames, I'll take his proven numbers last year over a few dozen Choi at-bats. Choi looked atrocious last year in his MLB time. So bad that his team felt compelled to replace him with Garrett Cooper.

As for Santana, his average is still ok, so I'm not worried. I still wish he weren't on the team, though. He is the definition of a Doug Melvin player. I've gotten so sick of watching these high strikeout guys over the years, but I think we are kind of Stockholm Syndromed into accepting that approach after watching it for so long. He defies the direction the team is going with Cain and Yelich coming to town.

Regarding Thames, I'll take his proven numbers last year over a few dozen Choi at-bats. Choi looked atrocious last year in his MLB time. So bad that his team felt compelled to replace him with Garrett Cooper.

As for Santana, his average is still ok, so I'm not worried. I still wish he weren't on the team, though. He is the definition of a Doug Melvin player. I've gotten so sick of watching these high strikeout guys over the years, but I think we are kind of Stockholm Syndromed into accepting that approach after watching it for so long. He defies the direction the team is going with Cain and Yelich coming to town.

I mean, it would be unheard of for a guy to perform one way in spring and another in the regular season!

Anyway, I don't give a flip about spring training numbers. Don't care about Thames "jogging" either. There is enough veteran leadership on this team to handle it if he's just being lazy. If "jogging" during spring training helps save him some bullets for the regular season and the team is ok with it, then I am to.

Sounds like you're talking about the Wednesday game against the White Sox. Haudricourt addressed this after the game:

Counsell said Thames had some trouble moving in game after getting hit by a pitch in leg in first inning: "He's just a little sore from getting hit. No worries."

You're really going to base his true value as a player off of 34 spring training at bats over the 900+ regular season at bats he's put up at the major league level in his career? If he goes 3-3 with a HR today, his spring stat line becomes .324/.359/.541/.900. 34 (meaningless) at bats are way too few to base anything off of.

@Haudricourt

41m41 minutes ago

With the #Brewers decision to open season with C Stephen Vogt on DL, his non-guaranteed $3.065 million salary will become guaranteed. Club values his presence on and off field.

Yikes. Are we able to blow $3M on an iffy catcher? This outta make those advocating signing a pitcher that much more ticked off.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

@Haudricourt

41m41 minutes ago

With the #Brewers decision to open season with C Stephen Vogt on DL, his non-guaranteed $3.065 million salary will become guaranteed. Club values his presence on and off field.

Yikes. Are we able to blow $3M on an iffy catcher? This outta make those advocating signing a pitcher that much more ticked off.

$3M for Vogt to sit on the DL for a couple weeks really is a drop in the bucket and it isn't going to prevent us from signing anyone else. Stearns has plenty of money to spend on whatever he feels is worth it. And he clearly doesn't feel any FA pitchers are worth it.

Booming home run by Yelich off a lefty......Braun with an RBI double off the wall.

2-2 in the first

But how does Braun look at first?

He looks fine there. He made a nice play on a bouncer to his right that he had to turn and throw to the pitcher covering first.

Good to hear. The more of this the better.

I dont see why anyone asks about Braun at 1st at this point. If everyone's healthy he's getting 60 games there at a minimum. He's been penciled in there enough this spring (and hasn't been abysmal) that its very clear this is happening this year.

Archived