1. Lorenzo Cain ® CF

2. Christian Yelich (L) RF MOVE TO LF

3. Ryan Braun ® 1B

4. Travis Shaw (L) 3B

5. Eric Thames (L) DH INSERT SANTANTA

6. Jonathan Villar (S) 2B

7. Jett Bandy ® C INSERT PINA

8. Eric Sogard (L) SS INSERT ARCIA

There is a definite top 5 and huge drop off for the bottom.

Don't think the drop off is that huge. Arica has been steadily improving with the bat, and Villar bound to rebound, just a matter of how much.

I never liked pitchers batting 8th, but it kind of makes sense with either Villar or Arcia batting in front of the top of the order. Kind of like Villar, catcher, pitcher, Arcia. Let Villar run and take chances with catcher pitcher up, then let Arcia hit before the top of the order. If he can hit .275 even that's a lot more RBI chances for Cain and Yellich.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Think we just found our OD lineup...

This is today's lineup

1. Lorenzo Cain ® CF

2. Christian Yelich (L) RF MOVE TO LF

3. Ryan Braun ® 1B

4. Travis Shaw (L) 3B

5. Eric Thames (L) DH INSERT SANTANTA

6. Jonathan Villar (S) 2B

7. Jett Bandy ® C INSERT PINA

8. Eric Sogard (L) SS INSERT ARCIA

There is a definite top 5 and huge drop off for the bottom.

Don't think the drop off is that huge. Arica has been steadily improving with the bat, and Villar bound to rebound, just a matter of how much.

I never liked pitchers batting 8th, but it kind of makes sense with either Villar or Arcia batting in front of the top of the order. Kind of like Villar, catcher, pitcher, Arcia. Let Villar run and take chances with catcher pitcher up, then let Arcia hit before the top of the order. If he can hit .275 even that's a lot more RBI chances for Cain and Yellich.

I think Arcia is going to take a good step forward with the bat this year. And actually, I think he already did last year. If you scratch his first two months from last season (which I know you can't do - but just for making the case of development), he put up about a .760 OPS.

If you look back at his MiLB time, his 2017 MLB season line looks an awful lot like him moving up the ladder in the minors. In fact, it's almost identical to his 2016 AAA line, but with double the HRs. I think we have a very special player in Arcia.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

For the most part this year, the team's with well above 500 records are the teams expected to be good. And the team's under 500 are the ones not expected to be good. So I'd say it's at least encouraging.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So historically, does Spring Training record ever matter? 12-6, just behind Cubs...

I'd say no with 100% certainty.

But do you have a statistical analysis to back it up?!? :)

Nope.

2009 Brewers finished with a 22-10 Spring Training record, and expectations were sky high.

We all know how that season turned out :(

So historically, does Spring Training record ever matter? 12-6, just behind Cubs...

Means absolutely nothing. I always remember that the 1984 Tigers finished with the 4th worst spring training record in all of MLB. They then started the season 35-5, were in first place every single day throughout the year, and of course won the whole thing.

I don't think spring records mean much. What I watch more closely is how the teams play the last week of so going into the regular season when the regulars are playing a larger role in the games.

Today's line-up against the White Sox:

1. Cain (CF)

2. Yelich (LF)

3. Braun (1B)

4. Shaw (3B)

5. Santana (RF)

6. Thames (DH)

7. Piña ©

8. Villar (2B)

9. Arcia (SS)

Save for Thames at DH, this is what I expect the opening day line-up to look like. Which is awesome!

That is perfect! I'm good with Pina hitting 6th... I love that speed at 8 & 9.

1. Cain (CF)

2. Yelich (LF)

3. Braun (1B)

4. Shaw (3B)

5. Santana (RF)

6. Thames (DH)

7. Piña ©

8. Villar (2B)

9. Arcia (SS)

Save for Thames at DH, this is what I expect the opening day line-up to look like. Which is awesome!

That is perfect! I'm good with Pina hitting 6th... I love that speed at 8 & 9.

Yeah, this lineup will be a lot of fun to watch top to bottom. I'm low key excited to have Villar/Arcia next to each other with no expectations at the bottom. Go ham on the base paths JV, be crazy.

Why bat Villar ahead of Arcia? Arcia makes more contact and consequently likely drives in more runs since their power numbers are reasonably similar. Villar makes sense to me at #9 (batting the pitcher 8th) to set the table for Cain and Yelich. Obviously not a big thing but at #9, productive outs should matter less.

Why bat Villar ahead of Arcia? Arcia makes more contact and consequently likely drives in more runs since their power numbers are reasonably similar. Villar makes sense to me at #9 (batting the pitcher 8th) to set the table for Cain and Yelich. Obviously not a big thing but at #9, productive outs should matter less.

Would rather have the pitchers bunt Villar to 2nd... Then he's scoring on any hit from Cain or Yelich.

1. Cain (CF)

2. Yelich (LF)

3. Braun (1B)

4. Shaw (3B)

5. Santana (RF)

6. Thames (DH)

7. Piña ©

8. Villar (2B)

9. Arcia (SS)

That sure is an excellent top 3. While all are quite good, if the Brewers can get a healthy Braun for 140 games, I wouldn't be surprised if all three are around 100 runs, 15-30 SBs and .300 AVG.

1. Cain (CF)

2. Yelich (LF)

3. Braun (1B)

4. Shaw (3B)

5. Santana (RF)

6. Thames (DH)

7. Piña ©

8. Villar (2B)

9. Arcia (SS)

That sure is an excellent top 3. While all are quite good, if the Brewers can get a healthy Braun for 140 games, I wouldn't be surprised if all three are around 100 runs, 15-30 SBs and .300 AVG.

Honestly it would be hard to find a better top 5.... We have to be one of the best top 5's.

Braun's off to a nice start today... GRAND SLAM in his second at bat to follow up his solo shot in the first.

And some on here think Braun is a 4th OF.

He's arguably our best hitter.

Archived