Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training thread

MoreTrife
I think Suter has a rotation spot locked up... I think last spot is between Woody, Miley or if we sign Cobb.

Guerra hasn't pitched his way out of contention yet I don't think. I want Suter in the rotation but I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the pen to start the year.

Counsell loves Suter. I don't think there's any way he isn't in the rotation at this point.

We are going to beat our pen to dust if we don't do something more creative than starting suter, woodruff, miley or guerra.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1) Guerra/Suter and Miley at 4-5 is fine by me if cobb isnt in the right range in both years and dollars.

Can I ask what you have against Woodruff? He's pretty much a consensus Top 100 prospect, what more do you need to give him a shot?

Yeah, I much prefer to have Cobb than Miley.

Suter looked great in ST and deserved a spot in the rotation. But I'm not convince on Miley, he's going to be the next Milone. Woodruff doesn't look ready to be the 5th starter from his ST performance.

I want to see:

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

Guerra

Miley

Suter and Gallardo (if they believe he can do it) and Jeffress as the long men. Not a true piggyback but enough coverage if there are short starts. I really feel Suters value is in this role. I also would like us to get more service timeout of Woodruff. He can take over for the first injury or non performer.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

1) Guerra/Suter and Miley at 4-5 is fine by me if cobb isnt in the right range in both years and dollars.

Can I ask what you have against Woodruff? He's pretty much a consensus Top 100 prospect, what more do you need to give him a shot?

Options, less service time this year can get us a 4th arby on him.

Nothing against him. Want him controlled as long as possible so I'm willing to wait a bit longer.

I want to see:

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

Guerra

Miley

Suter and Gallardo (if they believe he can do it) and Jeffress as the long men. Not a true piggyback but enough coverage if there are short starts. I really feel Suters value is in this role. I also would like us to get more service timeout of Woodruff. He can take over for the first injury or non performer.

1) We really shouldn't trust guerra past 4.

2) You are soo correct on suter that I dont want him eating innings after an implosion.

3) Take the final step ;)

Short start near lock + great long man = true piggyback. Get on board!

Don't see the problem with the current list of starters going any shorter in games than most teams 4/5. And with an 8 man pen even less of a problem. Not to mention they'll have 2 or 3 guys in the pen who can go more than one inning.

All that said, I think many of you are under-estimating how many innings Suter can eat.

Don't see the problem with the current list of starters going any shorter in games than most teams 4/5. And with an 8 man pen even less of a problem. Not to mention they'll have 2 or 3 guys in the pen who can go more than one inning.

All that said, I think many of you are under-estimating how many innings Suter can eat.

Davies 5.8

Anderson chacin 5.6

4-5 even if you think 5.2 is possible. (Suter woodruff or miley cuz guerra can't go past 4)

71.2 ip per bp arm with an 8 man pen.

Jeffress Barnes Albers look like 60 ip guys

Logan looks like a 40ip guy

Knebel hader 2 long men average 87ip? Ouch.

Knebel at 72... hader 2 longmen average 92.5? Ouch.

Davies 5.8

Anderson chacin 5.6

4-5 even if you think 5.2 is possible. (Suter woodruff or miley cuz guerra can't go past 4)

71.2 ip per bp arm with an 8 man pen.

Jeffress Barnes Albers look like 60 ip guys

Logan looks like a 40ip guy

Knebel hader 2 long men average 87ip? Ouch.

Knebel at 72... hader 2 longmen average 92.5? Ouch.

What you're missing is they will have far more than 8 guys who will be in the pen over the course of the year.

And it gets being repeated but Guerra will gonoss four innings. Even with Miley and Guerra in the rotation, you’ll average above 5 IP per game. Some of this is being way overblown.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This.

Remember, from 2015 to early 2017, Suter was doing a bullpen/rotation shuffle.

In 2014, he averaged 5.44 innings an outing (28 games, 27 starts, 152.1 IP).

In 2013, he averaged just under 5.8 (24 games, 23 starts, 139 IP).

I think Suter can get you an average at least on par with Anderson/Chacin. But what is catching my eye is he is taking a lot fewer pitches. Was it really 25 pitches to get through four innings against the Rockies???

I think Suter can get you an average at least on par with Anderson/Chacin. But what is catching my eye is he is taking a lot fewer pitches. Was it really 25 pitches to get through four innings against the Rockies???

No it wasn't. The pitch counts during most spring training games aren't reliable. I watched the game and he was at something like 55. Which is still fine, but not quite 25.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Suter strikes me as a guy who will never get hurt. If he can put up rubber-armed consistency of 5-6 innings of a sub-4 ERA every 5th day out of the 4-5 spot in the rotation, I'll take that without complaint. There aren't a lot of back-end rotation guys around MLB that can offer that.

I admit to bristling at the prospect of having Suter's gimmicky junk-ball repertoire as a regular in the rotation in the past, but I've warmed significantly to the idea.

For all those worrying that Gallardo was going to be in the rotation......

McCalvy tweet

In other Brewers pitching news, they’ll shift Yovani Gallardo to a relief role beginning with his next outing. If he makes the team, it appears it will have to be the bullpen.

McCalvy tweet

In other Brewers pitching news, they’ll shift Yovani Gallardo to a relief role beginning with his next outing. If he makes the team, it appears it will have to be the bullpen.

Longman. It would be great if he could figure out how to be effective for 2 innings a couple times a week.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

McCalvy tweet

I think this is the nail in the coffin for Yo.

McCalvy tweet

I think this is the nail in the coffin for Yo.

Hope so, I think he'd make for a white flag longman.

As for Guerra, he settled in just fine. Went a good .2ip further than I'd have expected. The 2nd bb in the 1st was the one that irritated me. Toles and turner are going to get ya sometimes.

I know it's spring training but the weak showing so far from Shaw, thames and arcia are concerning.

Arcia 3-3 today to raise that avg and ops to good places. It’s spring, numbers don’t mean much right now.

That being said Choi and Bethancourt are doing everything they can to make this team.

Well, right when I was ready to get on the Junior Guerra bandwagon for a rotation spot, he's getting hit pretty hard so far today. The positive is at least he's sitting at 93-94 with his FB.

MLBTR had an article stating Guerra had a 4th option so he can be shuttled to AAA to start the year or after a month or two as Nelson returns.

Archived