Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training thread

MoreTrife
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Miley tossing the ball well again today.

I was just about to say the same thing. He's been great so far. That is surprising and, frankly, somewhat concerning.

But his biggest problem the last few years is the lack of command. If he's got that back, maybe he can be useful. Just add him to the heap of what's been a weird offseason.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Miley tossing the ball well again today.

I was just about to say the same thing. He's been great so far. That is surprising and, frankly, somewhat concerning.

But his biggest problem the last few years is the lack of command. If he's got that back, maybe he can be useful. Just add him to the heap of what's been a weird offseason.

I've been very anti-Miley. I really didn't care for his comments, which were something along the lines of him getting lazy in the offseasons prior to 2017...but with his poor results that year it was time to start trying and he worked hard this offseason. I don't like a lazy ball player...even if he really did put in the effort this year.

That said, it's hard to ignore the results...even if it's spring training. If this continues throughout spring...he's going to make the decision pretty tough on us. As of now, I'd open with Miley/Woodruff in the rotation and Suter/Williams in the bullpen for those last 4 spots. Adios Guerra/Gallardo.

I love that Miley is dealing. Again it only shifts our depth and at $2.5M, if he pitches well it is a steal.

I have no idea if the stat tracker is correct but it says 19 pitches, 19 strikes!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I love that Miley is dealing. Again it only shifts our depth and at $2.5M, if he pitches well it is a steal.

I have no idea if the stat tracker is correct but it says 19 pitches, 19 strikes!

He gave up 3 runs in the 4th and got pulled with two down. He's been impressive regardless, but I still think his ultimate upside is replacement-level.

He gave up 3 runs in the 4th and got pulled with two down. He's been impressive regardless, but I still think his ultimate upside is replacement-level.

Probably more of a stamina thing than anything plus an error(s) on Arcia that led to runs.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Guerra with three scoreless in his last outing. Don’t be shocked if we break camp with Miley and Guerra in the final two spots, with Suter making the team and ready in reserve. Woody goes to triple A, which gives us a seventh viable starter, and that’s before Nelson comes back. I’d send Yovani packing.

Burnes and Ortiz are coming along too in the next wave.

If we have key injuries or a couple of starters really struggle, then we can look at a mid-season acquisition.

I’d still like a pitcher, but I’d be in the camp where it’s a top guy or bust. Top guys command cash. I can’t figure the Brewers being a big factor in 2019 free agency. I think if you can meet Arrieta halfway, it might just work. He’s obviously been unreasonable and Boras has misread the market. With all the analytics on pitchers over 30 and all the lessons learned, that looks like a pipe dream now. How about 3/$80? If no one gives him 5/$130, maybe we work something out.

Guerra with three scoreless in his last outing. Don’t be shocked if we break camp with Miley and Guerra in the final two spots, with Suter making the team and ready in reserve. Woody goes to triple A, which gives us a seventh viable starter, and that’s before Nelson comes back. I’d send Yovani packing.

Burnes and Ortiz are coming along too in the next wave.

If we have key injuries or a couple of starters really struggle, then we can look at a mid-season acquisition.

I’d still like a pitcher, but I’d be in the camp where it’s a top guy or bust. Top guys command cash. I can’t figure the Brewers being a big factor in 2019 free agency. I think if you can meet Arrieta halfway, it might just work. He’s obviously been unreasonable and Boras has misread the market. With all the analytics on pitchers over 30 and all the lessons learned, that looks like a pipe dream now. How about 3/$80? If no one gives him 5/$130, maybe we work something out.

I agree this is probably what I’d do if no pitcher is added, though I’d like to add one. Miley/Guerra 4/5 rotation spots, Suter in pen and Woodruff in AAA to stay stretched out. I’d also try and sneak a Gallardo on in the pen in favor of Drake.

Probably more of a stamina thing than anything plus an error(s) on Arcia that led to runs.

Essentially should have left either 2 down 1 in if Abreau could score from 1st going on contact or stranded on 2nd and 3rd. Arcias error was pretty big there.

I still want williams in the pen over Gallardo but Miley and Guerra are pitching their way towards jobs.

Ps: come on barnes get it going... we coukd use a step forward from you.

Guerra with three scoreless in his last outing. Don’t be shocked if we break camp with Miley and Guerra in the final two spots, with Suter making the team and ready in reserve. Woody goes to triple A, which gives us a seventh viable starter, and that’s before Nelson comes back.

I would be a little shocked if the true #6 option is in the bullpen on the MLB squad. Keep him in AAA to stay conditioned as a starter.

Woodruff as the #7 guy behind those three seems a little hard to believe too. You are throwing all your eggs into the "spring training numbers" basket. Doubt it works out that way.

Guerra with three scoreless in his last outing. Don’t be shocked if we break camp with Miley and Guerra in the final two spots, with Suter making the team and ready in reserve. Woody goes to triple A, which gives us a seventh viable starter, and that’s before Nelson comes back.

I would be a little shocked if the true #6 option is in the bullpen on the MLB squad. Keep him in AAA to stay conditioned as a starter.

Not really. It's not like he'll lose his conditioning in a few weeks. His arm will be plenty stretched out, and he'll be pitching regularly, especially when Guerra fails to make it through 3 innings in his starts.

Not really. It's not like he'll lose his conditioning in a few weeks. His arm will be plenty stretched out, and he'll be pitching regularly, especially when Guerra fails to make it through 3 innings in his starts.

That's my take. 8 man pens interesting. It allows piggyback. If guerra's trusted 4ip... you can pull him and have him throw 1 more simulated... insert suter and ditto. Its strange and putting some extra wear and tear on guys you are using in non-game situations is unheard of, but if you have 5 guys and aren't sure which if any can carry a starters load keeping all of them stretched makes sense.

Guerra Miley would be a bonus at this time if they can offer anything positive. But suter woodruff have control and upside, yet concerns about going deeper than 5 at this point in their career. Guerra miley used as pen wear savers while not taxing guys who are working their way in is an interesting and possibly benefitial idea.

As of this early date, I think you go with Miley and Guerra. Send Sutter and Woodruff to AAA and tell them to be ready. I don't believe in either of Miley or Guerra but you use them or you loose them. (Actually Guerra could probably go down ? Not sure?) I would have a very short leash with both. Hope we sign Cobb.

If the possibility of having 2 of Woodruff, Suter, Guerra, Miley, Gallardo in the rotation didn't push the needle to sign Cobb or Arrieta, then I don't think the idea of having 3 of them will push it either.

Not good

So far, Phillips isn't doing anything with the bat that makes you regret not giving him a chance to play this season.

Archived