Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training thread

MoreTrife
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
CC has said good things about almost every pitcher in the mix, including Williams, Woodruff, Barnes, Jeffress, Miley, Hoover, Guerra, and Suter. I'm not seeing favoritism towards Gallardo. He is unlikely to make the team, management have him a non-guaranteed deal, and then signed others for a reason.

Yo still has 3-4 outings to figure things out. If he doesn't, he won't be on the team, simple as that. If he does, I would say that he's an odds-on favorite for a rotation spot. I imagine the leash isn't going to be real long, though.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The fact that we were not supposed to contend probably played a big role in Milone being on the roster. This year the expectations are vastly different, so I don't believe that the front office will put the roster together in the same fashion. You would think you would put the best possible 25 out there from day 1, but the season expectations play roles in deciding who stays. I trust that we will not keep a veteran, just to keep a veteran, this season. Gallardo or Miley will have to pitch their way onto this roster, whether that is in ST games or bull pens, practice, whatever it may be. I still feel like we keep two of Guerra, Suter, Woodruff to begin the season, and Gallardo is an option in the pen possibly.

This year the expectations are vastly different, so I don't believe that the front office will put the roster together in the same fashion.

I keep seeing this. Maybe Stearns and co. have the same or similar expectations for this team going into this season. I know we added Yelich and Cain but that might not adjust their way of going about business like some may hope around here. Stearns seems to want to gather as much talent as possible and build the depth approach to building a roster.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If we're going by ST results, Woodruff hasn't looked very good so far either. At some point you have to fill the 4/5 spots with somebody. Also, options play a role and if I'm not mistaken Woodruff and Suter both have options? Anyone else....Guerra?

I must say, looking at past results and ST results Suter/Wilkerson look like the best options to fill those spots.

I really hope Stearns isn't looking at ST results as a way to fill in our roster.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I really hope Stearns isn't looking at ST results as a way to fill in our roster. They can be considered, sure. But it should be a very small metric used.

Unless Miley and Gallardo are lights out, they should not make our roster, period. Even then, I'd be skeptical.

I'd much rather the young guys get their chance that to roster up a bunch of re-treads.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Always depends on the pitcher. For guys like Anderson, Davies, Chacin, etc. no, ST results don't matter- they have their spot. But if there are specific things they're working on with guys like Yo and Miley then how they progress (or not) in ST will make a big difference like it or not.

As I said earlier, options also come into play here.

E3 from Braun at 1st leads to a run. Didn't see the play.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/baseball/professional/brewers-ryan-braun-has-eventful-day-at-first-base-in/article_8704739b-65b1-5016-830c-a48887a80a04.html

Braun committed his first error of the spring at first base, contributed to his most highlight-worthy defensive play to date and caught a pair of tricky popups. It was Braun’s third game at a position he might occasionally man in the regular season.

The error came in the first inning, when Braun fielded a Francisco Lindor bouncer and made an off-target lob to Brewers starting pitcher Jhoulys Chacin covering the bag. Chacin took the blame.

“I heard Lindor coming. I tried to catch the ball and hit the bag at the same time,” Chacin said. “I should have caught it and then gone for the bag. That’s my fault.”

An inning later, catcher Jett Bandy and Braun combined for a defensive gem. With Lindor batting and speedster Rajai Davis at first base with two outs, Bandy made a snap throw to first and Braun spun in time to lay a quick tag for the final out of the frame.

This year the expectations are vastly different, so I don't believe that the front office will put the roster together in the same fashion.

I keep seeing this. Maybe Stearns and co. have the same or similar expectations for this team going into this season. I know we added Yelich and Cain but that might not adjust their way of going about business like some may hope around here. Stearns seems to want to gather as much talent as possible and build the depth approach to building a roster.

I tend to agree with this. The Brewers have a bunch of stat nerds (I say that lovingly) that crunch numbers and they have price points on every guy out there. If Player A can be had for X number. Go get Player A.

The fact that we got Yelich and Cain might have as much to do with the fact that some big time spenders (Yankees, Dodgers, etc) had to sit out the majority of this off season so the prices on a few guys hovered into our stat nerds green lights.

I'm currently remodeling my house. I have my kitchen down to basically studs and am in no position right now to buy a new sink because I still don't have cabinets or counter tops ... that doesn't mean I won't buy a new sink if I see a great deal on one, because I know I will need it in the very near future.

I know my example isn't the same thing but the general point is still there. Stearns and Co. may very well still be planning on going full out in '19 or '20 ... just grabbed a piece or two now for safe keeping until then.

I really hope Stearns isn't looking at ST results as a way to fill in our roster. They can be considered, sure. But it should be a very small metric used.

At the same time I hope he doesn't get options blind and keep turds because more turds equals depth! If yo keeps pitching like crap and he's in the pen instead of Williams or in the rotation over guerra suter woodruff because it makes for a deeper team, I'll be quite irritated. ST stats are one thing... being bad 2 years and then sucking again in ST is another. I'd rather release filler and hope some shuffles to AAA than hold back youth.

I'm curious if anyone thinks Drake has a snowballs chance in hell of making the opening day roster.

Also, has anyone noticed they Yelich has been leading off with Cain hitting 2nd more often than not? I know it's early yet, but the lineup today(Swap Perez/Braun, clear the DH) is about what I'd expect to see opening day. The other option would be Santana hitting 5th with Braun at 1b and Yelich in LF. I think most of us expected Yelich and Cain to be flipped, do you all think I'm reading into this too much or might they go with Yelich leading off and Cain 2nd regularly?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm curious if anyone thinks Drake has a snowballs chance in hell of making the opening day roster.

Also, has anyone noticed they Yelich has been leading off with Cain hitting 2nd more often than not? I know it's early yet, but the lineup today(Swap Perez/Braun, clear the DH) is about what I'd expect to see opening day. The other option would be Santana hitting 5th with Braun at 1b and Yelich in LF. I think most of us expected Yelich and Cain to be flipped, do you all think I'm reading into this too much or might they go with Yelich leading off and Cain 2nd regularly?

I think Yelich and Cain are pretty interchangeable in the #1/2 spots. Both are solid contact guys that profile as table setters. Yelich has a bit more power than Cain, though. I imagine these guys will be moved around frequently in Spring Training just to get them comfortable in different spots, but I imagine Cain will hit lead-off most of the time once the season starts.

As for Drake, I think he's probably 40th on the 40-man right now. I'm really surprised he's survived this long. But he's the exact type of guy who will clear waivers and be stashed at AAA.

I don't think Drake will clear waivers, some rebuilding team will take a chance on him. He gets a lot of Ks, but suffered from a .349 BABIP last year. He had the 4th best xFIP on the team behind Knebel, Swarzak and Nelson. Or in other words, you could likely expect better results from his stuff going forward. This is when including all the ABs against right-handers. Deploy him mostly as a LOOGY and he's a lot better than most people here give him credit for. Now, with Logan, Hader and potentially Suter in the bullpen, is there a reason to carry a LOOGY? And while he's better than most on here seem to think, is he good enough? Those are certainly questions to ask yourself.

I think that if the Brewers thought there was a decent chance he'd clear waivers, they would have done so. Maybe he starts in the majors on a short leash, with some of the guys with options in AAA. More likely I think he'll be part of the last cut, in the hope people don't have room on the 25-man. Or a trade will get worked out.

It is entirely possible that Stearns still looks at this year as part of the rebuild that Yelich/Cain were brought in on long term 5 year contracts as part of the 2019-2022 window...
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

It is entirely possible that Stearns still looks at this year as part of the rebuild that Yelich/Cain were brought in on long term 5 year contracts as part of the 2019-2022 window...

This would worry me if it’s the case with Cain being 32 already and Braun to a lesser degree being on the wrong side of the age/performance curve already

This would worry me if it’s the case with Cain being 32 already and Braun to a lesser degree being on the wrong side of the age/performance curve already

I really don't think there will be any "going for it" years for awhile. I think we may make small moves to help increase our odds of making a run, but I don't think you'll see a CC Sabathia type move. With us being a small market team, I really think slow and steady, accumulating talent, is the way to do it.

I really don't think there will be any "going for it" years for awhile. I think we may make small moves to help increase our odds of making a run, but I don't think you'll see a CC Sabathia type move. With us being a small market team, I really think slow and steady, accumulating talent, is the way to do it.

I generally agree with the slow and steady thought but you don’t sign a 32 year old CF for 5 years and significant money if you are not “going for it.” The Cain move just makes less and less sense for me as the offseason goes on and we haven’t added a significant pitcher(s). It seems so half assed.

Miley tossing the ball well again today.

Archived