Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training thread

MoreTrife

Not sure why there isn't one. I think it'd be good to talk about camp battles at various spots (journeyman long relief), camp notes and stories.

Anyways, here is my first sighting of "best shape of life" - Brent Suter: https://www.mlb.com/brewers/news/brent-suter-has-leg-up-on-brewers-roster-spot/c-266591974

Keon with a fairly level headed response to new additions : https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2018/02/17/put-tough-spot-brewers-outfield-glut-keon-broxton-focused-improvement/331873002/

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone besides me find Wade Miley's comments a bit...irritating I guess for lack of a better word. Basically saying that he got lazy the last couple offseasons and really put forth and effort this offseason. I don't want an attitude like that anywhere near our team.

I find it refreshing sometimes that they show that they are human. After being in the league for awhile it is human to get in those ruts. Some guys never get out of them. Sounds like he realizes what he was doing wasn’t good enough and is trying to right the ship. Could be a good thing for some players to hear.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Does anyone besides me find Wade Miley's comments a bit...irritating I guess for lack of a better word. Basically saying that he got lazy the last couple offseasons and really put forth and effort this offseason. I don't want an attitude like that anywhere near our team.

Happens to lots of players in every sport. They think they're the shizzle (because in high school and the minors they were) and what they are/have is good enough because it always has been. That's why many players break out later in their career (mid-20's) - they get released and suddenly realize how not-great they are.

Broxton calling Yelich and Cain “solid” players is a bit funny. You have to think he’s hoping to be traded.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Broxton calling Yelich and Cain “solid” players is a bit funny. You have to think he’s hoping to be traded.

Would you publicly slurp up someone you are competing with for a job?

:laughing he’s isn’t competing with those two by any means. He may think he is but those two are penciled in as 2/3rd’s of the OF.

Would you publicly slurp up someone you are competing with for a job?

:laughing he’s isn’t competing with those two by any means. He may think he is but those two are penciled in as 2/3rd’s of the OF.

Calling them solid isn't a slight by any means, you are making something out of nothing.

Calling them solid isn't a slight by any means, you are making something out of nothing.

Maybe. Maybe not though. You know about as much as I do so please don’t pretend otherwise.

Here's the whole Broxton quote for those interested:

“I can’t say I’m happy about it but it’s good for the team,” he said. “Those are two solid players. I can’t be happier for the Brewers organization for picking those guys up. It definitely makes the team, as a whole, a lot better.

“I always think about myself and how everything plans out. I have to accept it’s a business. Those guys played better than me throughout my career. They’ve had a lot of success. So, I really can’t be mad. I have to take it for what it is and make it my duty to get better.

“I know if I played better, this probably wouldn’t have happened.”

Reading the whole thing it's pretty obvious he's not slighting them by calling them "solid". He flat out says they've been better players than him throughout his entire career and that obtaining them "definitely makes the team, as a whole, a lot better." He knows obtaining them pushes him out of the outfield, not sure how it's interpreted otherwise.

Been waiting for this thread. Usually get some great pictures and posts from guys who are down there. Have a friend of mine going down this year and am jealous. It's a bucket list item, but haven't got down there yet.

The access to the players is unparalleled. One of these years you should just make it happen, especially after Maryvale is renovated. I went out on Saturday and ending up having a 10 minute chat with a couple relievers.

CF Keon Broxton has realistic view of additions of Lorenzo Cain and Christian Yelich: "I can’t say I’m happy about it but it’s good for the team. Those are two solid players. Those guys have played better than me throughout my career. So, I really can’t be mad."

Broxton's goal is to get better and not worry about OF glut with Cain and Yelich: "I know what I need to do to be where I want to be. I know if I played better, this probably wouldn’t have happened."

I see nothing wrong with anything Broxton said. In fact I would categorize it as saying the right things.

Been waiting for this thread. Usually get some great pictures and posts from guys who are down there. Have a friend of mine going down this year and am jealous. It's a bucket list item, but haven't got down there yet.

Yeah I like seeing candid photos from people down at Spring Training. Have only seen that on Twiiter and not much there even. Maybe now that camp is fully up we'll get more.

@AdamMcCalvy

40m40 minutes ago

Counsell had high praise this morning for Brewers catching prospect Jacob Nottingham's development as a receiver. "Huge strides."

Archived