Brewer Fanatic

Cashner to Orioles - 2/$16

KeithStone53151

Sidestepped the remaining big 3 to go to the next tier, not surprising. They might need 1 more starter yet.

Wonder how this affects Cobb's asking price. Cobb has been a bit more consistent through the years but he is coming off TJ surgery. Cashner and Cobb weren't vastly different in 2017 but Cobb had much better K/BB numbers. I assumed he would get around $16 million per year, but now, maybe not...

There is also a vesting option for 2020. I'll be curious to see that. I think this pretty much sets the low end of the market. Cobb and co will all get more than 2 years and more than $8 million per. That was probably obvious, I still think Cobb gets a 4/52 or 4/56 type deal. Lynn probably gets 4/44.

Sidestepped the remaining big 3 to go to the next tier, not surprising. They might need 1 more starter yet.

Wonder how this affects Cobb's asking price. Cobb has a much more successful past but he is coming off of TJ surgery. Cashner's and Cobb's 2017 weren't vastly different but Cobb had much better K/BB numbers. I assumed he would get around $16 million per year, but now, maybe not...

I'm guessing he can still get the 16 avg/yr but it would probably be a 3 yr deal with vesting option. If Cobb wants the 4 yr guaranteed he'll be hard pressed to get that 16 avg.

The Orioles have this thing going the last 4-5 years where half of their own guys (Tillman, Miguel Gonzalez) and the majority of their acquisitions (Hellickson, Gallardo, Jimenez, Miley, now Cashner) somehow defy low K numbers and ERA compared to WHIP, xFIP, FIP. Every guy they sign or acquire, I roll my eyes at because the guy is on a downard trend or has terrible peripherals, but in general, they find a way for that pitcher to just be below average instead of terrible.

There is also a vesting option for 2020. I'll be curious to see that. I think this pretty much sets the low end of the market. Cobb and co will all get more than 2 years and more than $8 million per. That was probably obvious, I still think Cobb gets a 4/52 or 4/56 type deal. Lynn probably gets 4/44.

The vesting option is if he reaches 340 inngs in the two yrs of this deal. That seems a pretty tough goal for him to reach.

2017 4.6 bWAR and 1.9 fWAR gets $8M per year.

Those numbers are fool's gold.

Gimme Chacin any day on the same deal.

Yup, another example showing teams aren't going to buy a 1 year flare. They are going to pay the body of work relative to the age. Cashner had a great season but his other 3.5 years are right around 1 war on average. No one trusts last year or expects it to continue.

Apparently Cashner can earn up to $5m in incentives each year. He also gets award bonuses...$1.5 million if he wins the Cy Young. Might as well make it $100 million as it isn't happening. The incentives protect the Orioles in case of injury, but if he starts and pitches the full year both years...this probably turns into a 2/26 deal pretty quick. I would make $13 million the new floor for Cobb.

2017 4.6 bWAR and 1.9 fWAR gets $8M per year.

Expand the BWar 4 years it is 3.0WAR in 4 years.

Fangraphs happens to be a lot nicer oddly with BWar's 2017 being way higher. 6.7FWar total over 4 years.

I thought Cashner was actually put on Waivers at one point due to being so bad, but I guess he was traded? Anyway, May have to go to Padres for a franchise terrible trade sending Rizzo to the Cubs for him.

The vesting option is if he reaches 340 inngs in the two yrs of this deal. That seems a pretty tough goal for him to reach.

That's only 170 innings per year. He pitched 166.2 last year, 184.2 in 2015. Doesn't seem that tough.

Archived