Brewer Fanatic

Wade Miley Moves to Rotation, Suter to Pen

MVP2110
Maybe Wilkerson lands on 60 day DL? He hasn't pitched all year.

I doubt this is a route they'd like to take unless they have to. They'd have to pay Wilkerson a big league salary and he'd start accruing service time. The service time piece probably isn't a big issue, but the difference between AAA and MLB pay is pretty substantial.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If anything other than Drake getting optioned happens I will seriously question CC’s mental state

drake is out of options. he'd have to be removed from the 40-man roster and clear waivers and accept an outright assignment to the minor leagues to remain in the brewers' organization.

Even better!

They'd almost certainly want Woodruff ready at AAA to take over should Miley be bad, so he'll likely be optioned.

Drake might be DFA'd when Logan is ready next week. They might option Williams but I think at this point it makes sense that they'd just cut Drake.

I'm huge give believer in Derek Johnson, but if he's genius enough to convert Wade Miley from hot garbage to a quality starting pitcher, then he should probably be given a stake in the organization.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Miley has to be added to the 40 man, doesn't he? If so, optioning Woodruff alone does nothing.

DFA Drake, then when Logan comes back, send Suter to AAA to keep him stretched out.

What did surprise me was Suter's notching the LOWEST exit velocity of any major-league starter. He's been unlucky, not bad.

Miley has to be added to the 40 man, doesn't he? If so, optioning Woodruff alone does nothing.

DFA Drake, then when Logan comes back, send Suter to AAA to keep him stretched out.

What did surprise me was Suter's notching the LOWEST exit velocity of any major-league starter. He's been unlucky, not bad.

As they say, “the slower they come in, the slower they go out.”

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

As they say, “the slower they come in, the slower they go out.”

Miley is an interesting "flip" candidate, IMO. Once Logan gets back, Suter goes to AAA to re-stretch (hate doing the AAA/MLB rotation/bullpen shuffle to him, but...) and Miley, if he does well, can be flipped for a part or two.

Saladino absolutely is an option to be DFAed. Whatever the reason he was brought in, a player with a .610 career OPS isn't going to come in and fix your offensive woes. The Brewers flip the 40th man on their roster all the time. Guys like Saladino are totally expendable and pretty much constantly available via waiver wire or in your farm.

Saladino, Sogard, Drake and Wilkerson could all be DFAed and not really missed at all. So there's at least 4 easy candidates.

If anything other than Drake getting optioned happens I will seriously question CC’s mental state

That isn't even CC's decision to make. Stearns is the GM and makes those decisions

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

He's got the 2nd best FIP of all the starters at 3.81. All the starters have done their jobs to this point. Suter is simply the best option for the pen among the current group of starters.

This might be a dumb question, but if Suter is crap in the starting rotation, why does anyone think he is going to be better as a long man in the bull pen? Is it because he would only face the opposing line-up once? That is all I can think of. Not letting the opposing players see him twice in one game has to be a bonus for us, right?
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Yes, Turbo that is it. Plus you can reasonably trust him for 2-3 innings or even more in situations that warrant it: like an extra inning game, blowout one way or the other, doubleheader due to rainout, spot start due to a small injury. As much as he's bashed here, he has still been ok/mediocre/not horrible.

For me, I saw Woodruff gassing it up at 97 on Saturday and just don't get why we don't want him in the rotation. Maybe they're limiting his innings in the minors and plan on him taking over at some point. But Jimmy will be back in the next few months too so I'm not sure that's it at all.

Over the larger sample size, Suter has been better 1-2 times through than 3+, but this year he's had some issues in the early innings. But he's had some success both starting and relieving, so I really don't have any issue with him going to the pen rather than getting sent down.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It can't possibly be any worse than trotting Suter out there every 5th day.

I cannot possibly understand where this narrative is coming from.

5 IP, 3ER

5 IP, 4 ER

5.1 IP, 1 ER

5 IP, 3 ER

5 IP, 5 ER

5 IP, 2 ER

Those are Suter's game logs so far. All early hooks, but every pitcher has gotten early hooks, so it must be by design. These are by no means great numbers, but none are blow-up starts either.

I mean, is it because he doesn't throw fast? That has to be it, right? Because what he's putting up are 4th-5th starter numbers, which is exactly what he is and what is expected of him. He by no means deserves the ridicule he's getting on this board. I'd much rather have Suter's consistency than Miley's likely 6 IP, 3 ER line followed by a 3 IP, 8 ER line.

Well put Joey Meyer Bombs. We have some really high expectations for a lot of our players that are just not realistic. He's done his job so far and given his team a chance to win just about every game, which is what you hope for from your #4-#5 guys.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Well put Joey Meyer Bombs. We have some really high expectations for a lot of our players that are just not realistic. He's done his job so far and given his team a chance to win just about every game, which is what you hope for from your #4-#5 guys.

I'm just very worried it's going to be a "careful what you wish for" situation when we see Miley inserted into the rotation. The starting pitching hasn't been a problem ... it's been the hitting. But I guess the answer to that problem is to shake up the rotation? I would be willing to bet that Wade Miley is much closer to the struggling upper 5 ERA gas can that we've seen the last couple years, than the decent pitcher we saw in Spring Training and one AA start.

I'm just very worried it's going to be a "careful what you wish for" situation when we see Miley inserted into the rotation. The starting pitching hasn't been a problem ... it's been the hitting. But I guess the answer to that problem is to shake up the rotation? I would be willing to bet that Wade Miley is much closer to the struggling upper 5 ERA gas can that we've seen the last couple years, than the decent pitcher we saw in Spring Training and one AA start.

I don't know this for a fact but I think they feel Miley can do what Suter is currently doing in the rotation and it just shoves that depth that we have down a notch. They might also see it as an opportunity to get Suter back to the role he was successful at last season. The quick hooks seem to be a trend so Suter will find himself in use a lot. I mean, if Miley blows up, it probably is a pretty easy move to go back to Suter or bring in Woodruff. And if Miley ends up being a 4 to mid 4 ERA guy and can give you 5 innings of solid work, then it is a bonus to this team.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived