Brewer Fanatic

Wade Miley Moves to Rotation, Suter to Pen

MVP2110
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
63 pitches for wade miley yesterday; certainly not a pretty outing . . . three innings, six hits, three homers, one strikeout. he'll get at least one more start, targeting 90 pitches.

Obviously not great, but I think it's important to remember these are just tune-ups and he is probably (obviously) not game ready. Now, do I want to see him start over, say, Woodruff? No, but if he takes a start from Suter, well, it probably isn't the worst thing in the world.

with so many players on the disabled list (including aaron wilkerson on the minor league dl), i'm more concerned about miley taking away a 40-man spot from someone else, because we need healthy minor league depth on the 40-man.

i've mentioned before . . . i'm hoping that the brewers are holding out on stephen vogt and manny pina both being activated by the time miley is called to the rotation. jett bandy out, leaving three catchers on the 40-man, and miley taking that spot.

otherwise, the club gambles in transferring corey knebel to the 60-day disabled list. i'd like for the brewers to preserve all other players currently on the 40-man (could make an exception for oliver drake, though).

From what I've read Thames injury will probably take 1 1/2 - 2 months. Even if he heals on the shorter end he'd only miss two weeks he could have played anyway. So I guess the question would be is a possible two weeks worth of Thames worth losing someone on the 40 man roster at this point? If not, then the answer of how to open the 40 man spot got a lot easier today.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

i try wade in Suter spot to see how he does.

Probably this, but a DFA to Drake could be it too. He'd probably slip thru waivers.

He wouldn't. The Brewers FO clearly like him; the publicly available peripherals do too and I would presume the Brewers internal models do as well. And that's the case, then other front offices will too. Someone will claim him off waivers. This isn't saying that they won't, or shouldn't, make that move when Logan, Miley and Knebel will need to be added to the roster, just that the move needs to be made with the knowledge that he likely won't make it to AAA.

Suter would dominate AA too. Forget Miley.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

There's probably not much to differentiate Miley from Suter at this point. But there's not much to lose by giving him a couple starts in that spot and letting Suter have a mental break. On the off chance Miley could string together 7 or 8 good starts prior to Nelson's return, he'd carry some value as a trade piece if he's not needed in someone else's spot. It comes down to maintaining depth and flexibility and he does figure in.

Won't Miley automatically get a few millions dollars guaranteed if called up? I guess that is my concern, if Miley is given a chance and he stinks it up will he be given a couple of months extra because of the money. If they go with Suter/Woodruff/Peralta/Burnes there is always another option if they don't like what they see.

J.J. Hoover was looking great too until he got called up.

Not necessarily indicative of another player’s future performance.

What is pretty indicative of a player's future performance is what they've done in the past.

J.J. Hoover's big league statistics from 2014-2017:

187 innings, 4.86 ERA, 5.23 FIP, 1.48 WHIP

Looks good in spring training, gets called up and flops with a 20.25 ERA and 4.50 WHIP.

Thankfully for Brewer fans the sample size didn't get any larger than that!

Wade Miley's big league statistics from 2016-2017:

323 1/3 innings, 5.48 ERA, 4.85 FIP, 1.57 WHIP

The guy posts a 3.09 ERA and 1.20 WHIP in AA, BIG DEAL. At least the Brewers could have put him in Colorado Springs where he would have had to deal with the altitude and some AAAA and AAA hitters.

Watching Suter pitch is sore on the eyes but so far as a major leaguer he's posted a 3.84 ERA, 3.86 FIP and 1.33 WHIP. The last time Wade Miley pitched to that level was 2013. In the four season's since that time he's had a 4.89 ERA, 4.32 FIP and 1.47 WHIP. Still trying to figure out what the Brewers see here? Maybe it's that AL East thing? Can't pitch against the big boys but put him in the inferior NL Central little league and he might stand a chance?

with so many players on the disabled list (including aaron wilkerson on the minor league dl), i'm more concerned about miley taking away a 40-man spot from someone else, because we need healthy minor league depth on the 40-man.

i've mentioned before . . . i'm hoping that the brewers are holding out on stephen vogt and manny pina both being activated by the time miley is called to the rotation. jett bandy out, leaving three catchers on the 40-man, and miley taking that spot.

otherwise, the club gambles in transferring corey knebel to the 60-day disabled list. i'd like for the brewers to preserve all other players currently on the 40-man (could make an exception for oliver drake, though).

seems that corey knebel would not be a candidate for the 60-day disabled list . . .

Without kniwing the exact wording, if they decide to keep him could they tell him he will be called up but not till Wednesday and thus the decision is made but they dont act on it so he doesnt opt out?
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

To me this decision comes down to mainly two things:

1) Are the good performances in ST down to making some kind of adjustments? Whether mechanical or mental or using different pitches or sequencing. Or just a matter of doing the same old thing but with better results through the great deal of variance in this sport? It's not exactly unheard of for a pitcher to suck in Baltimore and improve elsewhere, but then again it's not exactly unheard of for a below average pitcher to stay below average.

2) Some people use the term "depth" in a derogatory fashion, while I certainly don't. I'm a big believer in depth on the starting pitching side, and this move would certainly give us that, by retaining Miley and optioning Suter or Woodruff. But at this point one could argue that there already is a fair amount of depth. At the ML level there's Woodruff who can step in and start already. There's Peralta and Burnes in AAA. Houser and Ortiz in AA. Wilkerson should be back soon, Nelson hopefully midseason some time. There's Derby too. Hader could move to the rotation if the need becomes severe enough. And then there's Johnny Wholestaff alongside a 4-man rotation. Of course none of these guys are really proven, but many of them are talented enough to make it worth giving them a shot.

So unless DS thinks very highly of Miley, there is a chance they feel that Miley isn't really needed. Calling up Miley also would mean a 40-man roster move needs to be made.

Just ignore what I said above.

From the Brewers twitter account:

LHP Wade Miley will make his #Brewers debut in a start on Wednesday at Cincinnati. LHP Brent Suter moves to the bullpen.

Corresponding move? Thinking either Woodruff/Williams to AAA and someone else DFA/traded, or Drake DFA/traded.

Seems pretty likely they option Woodruff to clear a spot on the 25-man. Can't imagine they go with a 9-man bullpen and makes sense to have Woodruff stretched out, as I imagine they'd likely want him to take the spot in the rotation if Miley isn't any good. I think Suter's days in the rotation are likely done.

As for the 40-man, Saladino seems like the likeliest move. Wilkerson seems more likely to just get outrighted off the 40-man than placed on the 60-day DL. He's not currently on the Major League DL so I doubt they'd put him on the 60-day and have to pay him a Major League salary and have him accrue service time.

Just ignore what I said above.

From the Brewers twitter account:

LHP Wade Miley will make his #Brewers debut in a start on Wednesday at Cincinnati. LHP Brent Suter moves to the bullpen.

Corresponding move? Thinking either Woodruff/Williams to AAA and someone else DFA/traded, or Drake DFA/traded.

A DFA of Drake or Sogard will do.

If anything other than Drake getting optioned happens I will seriously question CC’s mental state

drake is out of options. he'd have to be removed from the 40-man roster and clear waivers and accept an outright assignment to the minor leagues to remain in the brewers' organization.

Archived