Brewer Fanatic

Wade Miley Moves to Rotation, Suter to Pen

MVP2110
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My teenage Brewers fanatic son practically broke his bedroom door slamming it in anger when I told him that the Brewers signed Wade Miley and Nick Franklin.... "Why???!!!", he yelled....

After I got done laughing I explained that they are likely just MiLB filler, to which he said "Nate Orf is way better than Franklin". Smart kid...

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

This could also be a sign that we're going to see more of the starting prospects staying in Biloxi rather than exposing the to CS but still wanted decent pitchers just to make their record more attractive when seeking a new affiliate.

That's my hope. We can put all the in case of emergency guys in CS and jump the rest from AA to august call up if we wish.

No it's not. But why would Miley agree to this contract with heavy incentives regarding IP & GS if he didnt think he had a real chance to pitch and pitch quite a bit for Milwaukee.

Because it's February 15th?

Why would the Brewers offer it though? This late in the offseason, the teams should have all the negotiating power, especially with the bottom barrel free agents. All the incentives are what makes me think Stearns anticipates Miley coming north and hanging around for awhile.

No it's not. But why would Miley agree to this contract with heavy incentives regarding IP & GS if he didnt think he had a real chance to pitch and pitch quite a bit for Milwaukee.

Because it's February 15th?

Why would the Brewers offer it though? This late in the offseason, the teams should have all the negotiating power, especially with the bottom barrel free agents. All the incentives are what makes me think Stearns anticipates Miley coming north and hanging around for awhile.

I think it's just the opposite. Stearns offered all the incentives knowing Miley likely wouldn't be in the Brewers' rotation, but would give them a veteran at Colorado Springs in case of injury. He's cheap insurance in AAA.

He's cheap insurance in AAA.

Why do people say that guys like Miley are insurance? Insurance for what? It would have to be an absolute catastrophe for him to appear in a Brewers uniform this season, and we have plenty of guys that deserve a shot before he does.

Insurance to me is when you have a guy like Sogard to back up Villar if/when he falters.

Wade Miley is far from insurance, he is a bum that truly serves no purpose. None.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Why do people say that guys like Miley are insurance? Insurance for what? It would have to be an absolute catastrophe for him to appear in a Brewers uniform this season, and we have plenty of guys that deserve a shot before he does.

Insurance to me is when you have a guy like Sogard to back up Villar if/when he falters.

Wade Miley is far from insurance, he is a bum that truly serves no purpose. None.

This. If things get bad enough that Wade Miley needs to be an important part of our rotation, Suter or Wilkerson should be getting a shot over him.

Maybe there's value in making other teams laugh their butts off when they hear who we've signed. Brewers sign Gallardo and Miley = + 2 wins due to injuries of Cubs players falling over laughing. Cubs sign Darvish = no value because Brewers players are crying... Is there value in collecting below replacement level players to take IP and PA away from our own prospects?

Really? Wade "Batting Practice" Wiley? He'd only be insurance for a Zombi apocalypse...

Maybe there's value in making other teams laugh their butts off when they hear who we've signed. Brewers sign Gallardo and Miley = + 2 wins due to injuries of Cubs players falling over laughing. Cubs sign Darvish = no value because Brewers players are crying... Is there value in collecting below replacement level players to take IP and PA away from our own prospects?

Really? Wade "Batting Practice" Wiley? He'd only be insurance for a Zombi apocalypse...

You want Burnes, Ortiz and Peralta pitching every 5th day in Colorado Springs? Cause I don't. Somebody's gotta start games there.

This. If things get bad enough that Wade Miley needs to be an important part of our rotation, Suter or Wilkerson should be getting a shot over him.

You are assuming they are talking about insurance for the Major League team I think, they could just as well be talking about insurance for the AAA squad.

There is value in allowing all of our AA guys the time and innings they need to develop properly at the AA level. So if we break camp and we sustain injuries to the AAA staff, having a guy like Miley in camp to fill the AAA rotation for the first month + so we can keep our AA guys where their progression dictates is, indeed, insurance.

Miley is looking for a chance to prove he can still pitch. The Brewers are looking for camp arms that are expendable/no cost at the end of camp if they are not needed - who can compete at the AAA level if they are.

Seems like a win for both sides. I'm not sure why everyone has to get upset about every signing that doesn't immediately fill the biggest needs on the Major League team?

Well if Esteban Loaiza gets bailed out, why not sign him to a AAA contract to pitch in Colorado Springs. Colorado is one of the few states that has legalized marijuana, there could be endless promotion tie-ins with Esteban. Given the other signees he would fit in perfectly.

Well if Esteban Loaiza gets bailed out, why not sign him to a AAA contract to pitch in Colorado Springs. Colorado is one of the few states that has legalized marijuana, there could be endless promotion tie-ins with Esteban. Given the other signees he would fit in perfectly.

while a cute answer, the obvious one is that IF he was using the product, he'd be suspended awfully quickly for testing positive.

Too bad, Loaiza was a pretty darn good pitcher

• 3 weeks later...

Just some research on mileys season last year.

He had a 2.82 era thurs his first 11 starts.

He had 7 awful starts with an era of 17.08

He had 25 great to ok starts with an era of 3.78

If he ends up in the rotation and 75 % of his starts are great to ok, would we accept that??

I think I would

Just some research on mileys season last year.

He had a 2.82 era thurs his first 11 starts.

He had 7 awful starts with an era of 17.08

He had 25 great to ok starts with an era of 3.78

If he ends up in the rotation and 75 % of his starts are great to ok, would we accept that??

I think I would

Good research. Yeah I think this is a good #5 if we can get this. Hopefully Johnson can get more consistent results and not such volatile ones.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

To follow up, the Orioles went 15-17 in his games started. And that's with them losing the last 5 he started in September, so 15-12 thru August.

A 500 team record is just fine from a 5th starter.

No offense but a team record is just a really horrible way to measure a starter's value.

With that said, I don't dispute that he was perfectly effective from 2012-15 and never had a FIP over 3.98 during that stretch. If that's the guy we get, that's obviously a heck of a bargain and a great #5.

Perhaps DJ thinks that his problems are correctable and thinks he can be that guy again. We shall see.

Archived