Brewer Fanatic

Marcus Stroman

mlloyd10
They would most likely include Happ, Russell or possibly Schwarber if Bryant has long term shoulder issues and has to move to LF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair point, but I think they tried doing that over the offseason and didn't get any takers. Maybe Happ's value has gone up a bit, but the market has proven they don't value 1b/DH only types very highly. No rebuilding team is going to look at Schwarber and be happy sticking him in LF, unless they are solely looking to make their fans laugh at his comically bad defense.

Plus, generally speaking, rebuilding teams that are trading players with multiple years of team control are going to want prospects as they aren't likely to be competitive immediately. That's why I figure the Rays and Mets aren't a match with the Cubs. The Blue Jays actually could be in my opinion and specifically for Ian Happ, considering Vlad is coming and they probably want some good pieces around him...but that's purely my opinion/speculation, only they know what they want. But I think a Happ+ for Stroman deal could make sense.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Theo always gets it done. Cubs will be players somehow unfortunately.

He always gets it done, until he sets a team up for 5 years of failure and leaves...

The Red Sox would probably still be bad had the Dodgers not bailed them out for some unknown reason.

Theo always gets it done. Cubs will be players somehow unfortunately.

He always gets it done, until he sets a team up for 5 years of failure and leaves...

The Red Sox would probably still be bad had the Dodgers not bailed them out for some unknown reason.

The Red Sox won a World Series the year after the bailout with essentially the same roster minus the bailout guys. It was a bit of a fluky thing (both being good enough to win it all in '13 and a sub-70 win team in '12), but I think that they'd still have been fine sitting on a pile of dead money with Carl Crawford. A-Gon would've been fine for a few years, Beckett was injured but his money would've been gone 2 years later. They basically only added Napoli and Shane Victorino in the stead of those guys the following year.

You could argue they'd have struggled to bring in the next era of guys helping them sitting on Crawford, Gonzalez, Beckett, etc. but I think Gonzalez would've had some good years, Beckett was OK

Any GM of a big market when offered the idea of: "well, you could sign Carl Crawford to fill this hole in our organizational system or you could trot out some subpar prospects" will take the big money deal eventually. Friedman is about as good as it gets as avoiding that and he's going to sign some big $ guys this offseason.

The Red Sox are dominant and they are sitting on a gigantic pile of dead money again.

The Dodgers have been a force since bailing out the Red Sox, both the high payroll and lower payroll versions have been.

It's not so taboo for big markets. You run the risk of eventually having a bad year if you're a mega market like LA/Boston(salary-wise they are)/NYY, but all of these teams are sitting on $50 million in guys that aren't playing. The Dodgers have been on a bit of an austerity run the past few years but they're going to probably have some decisions coming up soon.

Community Moderator
I don't think Theo would hesitate to move MLB talent if he thinks it will help solidify an overall functional need on the roster. We have the benefit of hindsight in looking back now and this deal was headlined primarily by rental players, but the 4-team deadline day deal in 2004 where Theo moved Nomar Garciaparra in order to acquire Orlando Cabrera and Doug Mientkiewicz proved to be pushing all the right buttons for a team that went on to win the World Series.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived