Brewer Fanatic

Marcus Stroman

mlloyd10
He’s back.... Stroman looked good tonight against Anaheim. Something to keep an eye on?

Absolutely it is, although a trade might be unlikely. I think there's a decent chance Toronto tries to re-tool and finds value in guys like Woodruff, Santana, Houser, and other upper minors guys with a high floor and limited ceiling. Vlad among others are coming...probably next year. I'd want a decent roster around him so he isn't coming up to a 72 win team and making it 78 himself. I personally think that makes more sense than targetting guys in high a or aa that need 2 more years in the minors.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Count me in as a Stroman guy. He has had some really good runs of being a dominant pitcher but also has been the guy where his stuff is too good to be allowing so many base runners.

I think similar to Gerritt Cole by sending Stroman to a team like the Brewers or Astros, that are more data driven in their approach to pitch calling, and understand the expected velocity and EV tunnels and how they relate from pitch to pitch you could see a job from solid starter to top of the rotation candidate.

What it would cost to get him will be very interesting. Two full years after this season still left, always injury concerns about a pitcher his size, bad blood with the Jays this past offseason after the arbitration process. He is a known workout warrior every offseason and a student of the game in the Trevor Bauer mold using every resource to make himself a more complete pitcher.

Hiura is off limits in most deals for me and Stroman would be no exception, but I'd be willing to listen on Burnes, Domingo, Phillips, Ray, Woodruff, Erceg, Stokes and the trade chips in that range.

I think similar to Gerritt Cole by sending Stroman to a team like the Brewers or Astros, that are more data driven in their approach to pitch calling, and understand the expected velocity and EV tunnels and how they relate from pitch to pitch you could see a job from solid starter to top of the rotation candidate. ......

Question: why do you think Toronto is not a data driven organization like the Brewers??

Consider when Toronto brought in Shapiro & Ross Adkins after the 2015 season, those guys came from Cleveland where they laid the groundwork for data driven approach with an organization.

If Toronto wasn't data driven in 2015, they are now since those 2 guys are there & in positions of authority...

I meant data driven in their approach to pitch calling only. I know only the Brewers, Astros and Rays to be teams that have taken Effective Velocity ideals that were created by Perry Husband and fully implement them into their approach with pitchers/catchers at all levels.

The Pirates I know to be a "feel" organization to pitch calling. Establishing the fastball inside and working off that (very simplified explanation.) The Blue Jays I don't actually know but with Rusell Martin and some of the criticism I have seen of them, I feel very confident in saying they are also a feel organization.

Via Mark Feinsand... According to a source, the Blue Jays have been extensively scouting the Brewers' system.

He suggests Happ, I prefer Stroman!

Just seen this already being discussed in a different thread.

If he was available for the woodruffs and Santana’s of the world I’d work something out. Doubt that’s an option. But wouldn’t want to overspend on him with some injury concerns and only 2 years left.

I wasn't trying to imply we'd only give them like Woodruff plus Houser and call it done. They'd never do that. Maybe Burnes + Phillips though? Or Ortiz, Broxton, Houser? Find a way to get some value out of some blocked upper minors guys with high floors and limited ceilings.

I don’t get the fascination with Stroman now or before.

- Average K rate his entire career

- Over 9.0 H/9 for three years in a row

- 1.300+ WHIP last 3 years

- Gives up some HRs

- Walking a lot this year

- FIP has never been that special

Guy generates a lot of excitement over one low ERA season. Is his age just pumping up the value that much? The stats have never really screamed a ton of excitement. His ERA last year seems about as reliable as Chase Anderson’s was.

Not sure we can afford to add a raging dumpster fire pitcher to our rotation anyway. We are trying to compete and trying to right the ship in July could lead to a lot of losses and never turning it around this year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don’t get the fascination with Stroman now or before.

- Average K rate his entire career

- Over 9.0 H/9 for three years in a row

- 1.300+ WHIP last 3 years

- Gives up some HRs

- Walking a lot this year

- FIP has never been that special

Guy generates a lot of excitement over one low ERA season. Is his age just pumping up the value that much? The stats have never really screamed a ton of excitement. His ERA last year seems about as reliable as Chase Anderson’s was.

Not sure we can afford to add a raging dumpster fire pitcher to our rotation anyway. We are trying to compete and trying to right the ship in July could lead to a lot of losses and never turning it around this year.

That's why part of me thinks that Aaron Sanchez could be the target. Just turned 26, and has ace-type stuff. Not eligible for free agency until 2021. Perhaps a higher ceiling than Stroman, although he's had nagging-type injury issues the last couple years.

Stroman is an elite ground ball pitcher. He led the league in 2017 in GB% (62.1%). As such, he was top 20 in soft contact.

I think looking at him requires a team to be really solid up the middle to get the most value out of his style of pitching.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Stroman is an elite ground ball pitcher. He led the league in 2017 in GB% (62.1%). As such, he was top 20 in soft contact.

I think looking at him requires a team to be really solid up the middle to get the most value out of his style of pitching.

That’s why it made even less sense to me. Arcia is gone and I don’t expect him back until September or at the very least don’t expect the Brewers to bring him back very soon.

So now we sport Villar/Miller/Perez/Sogard up the middle. Saladino will return, but he isn’t a gold glove guy by any means. So what do we have now? Average defense at best on any given day? Shaw/Aguilar both leave a lot to be desired defensively with little range.

Stroman is a perfect trade candidate for the same reasons I mentioned in the Happ thread. He would definitely be an upgrade in the rotation without literally giving up the farm. Exactly the type of move they need to make.

The IF defense may not be that great (especially if Arcia isn't playing) but you would still rather have a ground ball pitcher over a fly ball pitcher right?

There's a long way to go, and already we can't count on Nelson or Davies. History tells us someone else is likely to go down with injury since we still have half the season to go. Bring in another solid SP, he doesn't need to be spectacular.

Stroman is a perfect trade candidate for the same reasons I mentioned in the Happ thread. He would definitely be an upgrade in the rotation without literally giving up the farm. Exactly the type of move they need to make.

The IF defense may not be that great (especially if Arcia isn't playing) but you would still rather have a ground ball pitcher over a fly ball pitcher right?

There's a long way to go, and already we can't count on Nelson or Davies. History tells us someone else is likely to go down with injury since we still have half the season to go. Bring in another solid SP, he doesn't need to be spectacular.

I tend to agree with a lot of this. Right now our rotation is Anderson, Guerra, Chacin, Suter, Peralta...their likelihood to remain in the rotation is probably in that order roughly. Right now, Woodruff is our only real depth option and he isn't looking overly sharp(wilkerson too). We also have Davies, Miley, and Nelson due back at some point...but I'm not sure how much I trust any of those guys to be productive and someone we want starting when they are ready to pitch. Eventually Peralta will be shut down and Suter is definitely better served as a long man in the bullpen. Add it all up, we definitely could use a starter. Happ would probably slot in either 2nd or 3rd in the rotation, while Stroman would probably slot in at the top of our rotation. Hard to say what Stroman's cost would be, I'm very curious how it all plays out. I feel like we are only a couple weeks away from serious rumors and at least some initial activity.

• 4 weeks later...
Community Moderator

Reports that the Cubs have recently discussed Marcus Stroman with the Blue Jays.

I know his early season results were quite poor (partially inflated by a high BAbip against him), but I have a feeling that Stroman could be a very solid pitcher this season with a change of scenery and a better defense behind him. I have to imagine his cost now is also less than what it was this past off-season. Maybe the Blue Jays will be smart enough not to sell low on him, but if they do I hope he doesn’t end up going to the Cubs.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Stroman has been bad this year, but is exactly the type of pitcher the Brewers should be looking into right now. If there's a chance to buy low-ish on him, you get 3 years of control in his peak seasons. He's come back strong (5/6 starts since coming off the DL he's allowed 3 or less runs) since his injury, and I think he's a guy that can legitimately be a TOR/solid 2.

Reports that the Cubs have recently discussed Marcus Stroman with the Blue Jays.

I know his early season results were quite poor (partially inflated by a high BAbip against him), but I have a feeling that Stroman could be a very solid pitcher this season with a change of scenery and a better defense behind him. I have to imagine his cost now is also less than what it was this past off-season. Maybe the Blue Jays will be smart enough not to sell low on him, but if they do I hope he doesn’t end up going to the Cubs.

There is no way the Cubs would be able to trade from someone like Stroman without having to poach from their MLB squad. They have next to nothing in their farm system. In fact, I'd argue that the top 15 prospects on the Brewer list are better than anything the Cubs have.

There is no way the Cubs would be able to trade from someone like Stroman without having to poach from their MLB squad. They have next to nothing in their farm system. In fact, I'd argue that the top 15 prospects on the Brewer list are better than anything the Cubs have.

I wonder how awkward it is for Theo to inquire about these big names knowing full well they have nothing of interest to offer anyone. It's like going into Tiffany's to get a ring for your girl with 20 bucks in your wallet.

I wonder how awkward it is for Theo to inquire about these big names knowing full well they have nothing of interest to offer anyone. It's like going into Tiffany's to get a ring for your girl with 20 bucks in your wallet.

From a minor league perspective, yes - but if Theo is willing to offer Schwarber, Happ, or Almora to headline a trade that would essentially allow the other two OF's everyday playing time, plus include a couple talented but completely undeveloped prospects from low levels, then he's got something. They need a starter badly, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Cubs are willing to include MLB talent to get a deal done. They've already thrown their whole farm system plus hundreds of millions of dollars at pitching the past few years, mightaswell add in some young MLB position player talent, too.

Archived