Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun

All the talk is of trading Domingo Santana to fix our over-crowded OF situation.

What could we get for Ryan Braun?

I know it was discussed at length here last off-season and the market showed little to no interest in Braun with his contract/injuries/age/roids/lies/etc., however, with one less year left on his contract, does Ryan Braun have now possibly have any trade value?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the emergence of Chris Taylor for the Dodger, a mini-breakout from Andrew Toles, and a rebound of sorts from Puig, I think the Dodgers need to seek OF has also vanished.

All the talk is of trading Domingo Santana to fix our over-crowded OF situation.

What could we get for Ryan Braun?

I know it was discussed at length here last off-season and the market showed little to no interest in Braun with his contract/injuries/age/roids/lies/etc., however, with one less year left on his contract, does Ryan Braun have now possibly have any trade value?

Not going to happen as Braun can kill any trade. So unless the Dodgers find someone to take all of Kemp's salary and somehow get another team to take Puig it is not happening.

The Brewers would also have to pay some of Braun's salary in that deal also.

I think even if Braun did NOT have the no-trade clause, the Brewers would still be better off trading Santana because with his age/control/contract he has WAY more trade value than Braun as it stands.

Yep, I would say that chance of seeing Braun traded is less than 0%. Perhaps if the Brewers were still in the low rung of their rebuild, he may be able to be convinced to go to a contender, but with the team primed to compete now and in the future, he is going to want to be a part of that. Even if he wanted to go, and the Brewers found a taker, they would either have to trade him for another high-salary garbage-type contract, or send prospects in the deal to make the other team take on more of Braun's deal.

He won't accept trades unless maybe he's riding the pine a little too much for his liking, which would work for me.

This is as good a place as any to revisit the Braun trade debates. It could get a little tense but in the long-term, it's good to reflect on your own decision-making process and figure out what nuances you might have overlooked. To me it's obviously mostly about age and injury and the lack of a DH, but another key factor is (or should have been) the glut of outfield prospects, the uncertainty of whether Braun could play 1b, and the relative ease with which you can replace a guy like that with a young player so much better on defense that it hardly even matters if Braun is the superior hitter. Guys like Braun just aren't really that special after a certain age.

The other issue was money. Many people assumed there would be no better way to spend the money anyway. That was a false assumption. If the rebuild were ever ahead of schedule, which it now obviously is, there's a very good chance you would have multiple, far more pressing needs than a guy like Braun, needs which could easily be met with an extra $15-20m in payroll flexibility. We're seeing that come into play right now. I was not a Darvish advocate, but would have gladly outbid the Cubs for him if they weren't also paying Braun (and still have plenty left over to tinker with the pen or sign Lucroy). At least you'd be spending more than you should on someone who actually makes you much, much better.

I'm still wondering if Stearns thought he had something worked out for Braun when the Yelich/Cain deals were made. Personally I don't think it makes much sense to have both Braun and Yelich on the roster considering there is no DH. Left field seems to be the best position for both of them. Also have to wonder why the Brewers decided investing so much money in Cain was a good idea considering pitching needs? Did Stearns think he had Braun's contract removed from the payroll and was going to use that money for Cain, and then would still have money left over to address the pitching staff?

Just seems really, really, really odd that the Brewers sunk what will probably end up being about 90% of their off-season "capital" in the outfield when the outfield was their strongest position in the organization. We'll see if there are any additional big moves to come. When I look at the current payroll and figure in arbitration raises over the next few years, I would think the Brewers are done. Surely Attanasio could surprise me and stretch out the payroll a bit more...but I'll believe that when I see it.

He won't accept trades unless maybe he's riding the pine a little too much for his liking, which would work for me.

That would definitely be how the Brewer's front office would play it. "Team X wants to trade for you and you step in there and play everyday. We want Yelich in left field and he's going to get the vast majority of playing time there. Now it's Santana in right, but we have our eye on Phillips getting a bunch of playing time in right field when facing right handed pitching. We can move you to first base but Thames will be starting against right handed pitching. We will not play you at second base. Stay in Milwaukee where you can get maybe 40 starts in a platoon situation at first base, provided that you can play defense at first base adequately, and maybe get a few starts here and there in the outfield as needed, but you'll largely be a bench player here. If you go to team X, you'll be playing everyday there."

This is as good a place as any to revisit the Braun trade debates. It could get a little tense but in the long-term, it's good to reflect on your own decision-making process and figure out what nuances you might have overlooked. To me it's obviously mostly about age and injury and the lack of a DH, but another key factor is (or should have been) the glut of outfield prospects, the uncertainty of whether Braun could play 1b, and the relative ease with which you can replace a guy like that with a young player so much better on defense that it hardly even matters if Braun is the superior hitter. Guys like Braun just aren't really that special after a certain age.

The other issue was money. Many people assumed there would be no better way to spend the money anyway. That was a false assumption. If the rebuild were ever ahead of schedule, which it now obviously is, there's a very good chance you would have multiple, far more pressing needs than a guy like Braun, needs which could easily be met with an extra $15-20m in payroll flexibility. We're seeing that come into play right now. I was not a Darvish advocate, but would have gladly outbid the Cubs for him if they weren't also paying Braun (and still have plenty left over to tinker with the pen or sign Lucroy). At least you'd be spending more than you should on someone who actually makes you much, much better.

I honestly think the discussion is a waste of time as I don't see him approving a trade. The Dodgers don't have a need and there the lists ends, plus they'll probably be signing Harper next offseason to further diminish the need. And I don't see Braun being benched while healthy a significant amount. It will be occasional rest days. I don't see a situation where he's healthy and sitting the bench and getting fed up with Counsel.

I think he had more of a chance of being traded last season rather than now after his no trade clause kicked in. If we were going to move him I think it would have happened before then. I actually have really come around to the idea of keeping Santana and moving Braun to first for a platoon with Thames. Seems to make a ton of sense and to maximize Braun’s (still relevant) value to the team going forward.

I'm still wondering if Stearns thought he had something worked out for Braun when the Yelich/Cain deals were made. Personally I don't think it makes much sense to have both Braun and Yelich on the roster considering there is no DH. Left field seems to be the best position for both of them. Also have to wonder why the Brewers decided investing so much money in Cain was a good idea considering pitching needs? Did Stearns think he had Braun's contract removed from the payroll and was going to use that money for Cain, and then would still have money left over to address the pitching staff?

I doubt they had something worked out. I think it's more likely that they decided to keep moving forward regardless of whether they're "stuck" with Braun. They saw an opportunity to get much better without giving up too much, and they jumped at it. There's no reason to let Braun stop you from taking advantage of opportunities like that. It gives him no choice but to act willing and eager to play 1b, which is a ninja move by Stearns. Braun would never get away with any pouting, or even openly questioning it, at this point.

If it doesn't work out at 1b, it's totally fine to sit him more. Maybe he will accept a trade at that point. It would certainly benefit the Brewers a great deal if he would, but that's a stretch. Hopefully he plays 1b about as well as Thames, Aguilar, or most of the free agent 1b's like Duda and Morrison.

I honestly think the discussion is a waste of time as I don't see him approving a trade. The Dodgers don't have a need and there the lists ends, plus they'll probably be signing Harper next offseason to further diminish the need. And I don't see Braun being benched while healthy a significant amount. It will be occasional rest days. I don't see a situation where he's healthy and sitting the bench and getting fed up with Counsel.

Have to be honest. If I'm the manager, right now Braun is a bench player. And it has nothing to do with stuff like "not liking Braun" or "sick of Braun's contract." If I'm Counsell it's the simple matter of wanting Yelich in left, Cain in center and Santana in right. Would try Braun at first base but considering the way Thames hit RHP last year, Braun would likely be on the worse end of a platoon situation there. And as far as working him into the outfield, I'd be just as motiviated to play Phillips as Braun when facing right handed pitching. Yelich and Santana seem to be fairly durable. When Cain misses time, Yelich and Santana still play the corners and Broxton/Phillips plays center.

I still think chances are pretty likely that Santana gets moved, but if opening day arrives and Santana, Thames and Phillips are all on the roster, I'd probably have Braun sitting on the bench the majority of the time.

Have to be honest. If I'm the manager, right now Braun is a bench player. And it has nothing to do with stuff like "not liking Braun" or "sick of Braun's contract." If I'm Counsell it's the simple matter of wanting Yelich in left, Cain in center and Santana in right. Would try Braun at first base but considering the way Thames hit RHP last year, Braun would likely be on the worse end of a platoon situation there. And as far as working him into the outfield, I'd be just as motiviated to play Phillips as Braun when facing right handed pitching. Yelich and Santana seem to be fairly durable. When Cain misses time, Yelich and Santana still play the corners and Broxton/Phillips plays center.

I still think chances are pretty likely that Santana gets moved, but if opening day arrives and Santana, Thames and Phillips are all on the roster, I'd probably have Braun sitting on the bench the majority of the time.

If you ignore the contracts and all other aspects, Braun is still the very best hitter on the team when healthy and should be playing 5-6 games a week when healthy. I'm sure that's what we'll see regardless of the moves made.

I think we all know Braun at this point is very likely to finish his career as a Brewer.

I do not agree with that, he will be 36 when he is done with the Brewers and I believe his bat will still play just not for the Brewers. To answer the original question I can't see a scenario where he is traded this year as three years is still to long. Could see it happening by 2020 if they both realize he can't play outfield or 1B on a regular basis but still can hit.

The contract is untradable for anything reasonable. Yeah the guy can hit when healthy, but he is a DH at this point and just his presence means we have to trade our best offensive player in Santana.

Save this thread for the last 2-3 years of the Cain and Arrieta deals.

Great post overall, though I think there's going to be a little more playing time for Braun than you're suggesting. But you're right in the grand scheme of things. The Brewers wanted to improve and they have no obligation to plan around Braun. They got a lot better by replacing him, and I doubt he hits RHP's any better than Thames this year. At his age, it's all downhill from here. No matter how much that seems to trigger some people here, that's a fact. He will have to play a pretty solid 1b (and I think he could) in order to earn more than a handful of starts against RHP's there. The only semi-regular option he's better than is Aguilar as the RHB 1b at this point. Even if they trade Santana, Phillips would have to be a pretty big disappointment in order to not deserve most starts against RHB's in RF.

With our depth and Braun's age and nagging injury history, I don't have a problem with him coming off the bench against Righties a couple times a week. It's nice to be able to pick and choose when to use him in high leverage situations.

That doesn't mean that he's a "bench player." This isn't the AL where that term might actually have some validity.

Kershaw is the best pitcher of his generation.

Braun was a great player in his prime but will not make the Hall of Fame.

I don't think comparing the two is fair.

And I think fans and posters ARE serious about platooning Braun with Thames at 1B.

I think it would make Thames more valuable and keep Braun healthy all the way deep into October :)

Braun a bench player... Come on

Yes...ish..

Assuming Santana is not traded, I would plan for Braun 20-30 OF starts, 70-80 starts at 1B, and 10 DH starts.

Santana can get 150 OF starts (Braun and Yelich days off).

Thames can get 80-90 starts at 1B - all against righties.

That would be the plan going in and then obviously play and injuries would dictate changes.

Archived