Brewer Fanatic

Taijuan Walker

Throwing a name of another controllable (thru 2020) young arm out there although he's likely not available.

MLBTRADERUMORS mentioned that the Diamondbacks had shown interest in Domingo Santana earlier this offseason, possibly looking to replace JD Martinez's bat in their lineup.

Corbin only has one year of control, Greinke is too expensive/risky, Ray is off-limits and I don't trust Godley.

Taijuan Walker seems like he's on the verge of breaking out at only 25 years old.

Wonder what it could take to land him?

Brewers receive:

RHP Taijuan WAlker

2B Brandon Drury

Diamondbacks receive:

OF Domingo Santana

RHP Brandon Woodruff

RHP Freddy Peralta

MI Mauricio Dubon

Former Brewers prospects Woodruff and Anthony Banda could compete for D-backs 5th starter spot.

Thoughts?

Why the heck are we giving up so much? That’s my thoughts.

And we already have Drury on the team. His name is Perez.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Given how little Walker has actually accomplished so far, I'm not sure I'd want to offer Santana for him. 157.1 is his high for IP so far, & he's only controlled for three more seasons.

Not saying I think Santana is worth Walker+, but I'd rather use Domingo to go after a better SP. I feel like, if we acquire Walker, we'd burn his three years finishing his development into a 200 IP/yr arm, just in time to lose him to FA.

I like the idea of trying to trade for an emerging & not established arm, but no way I'd pay as much as you're proposing for Walker.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Since Dbacks made the postseason last year with Walker in their rotation I think he'd be hard to pry away.

I honestly think that it would take about that much for Arizona to even listen on him.

Given how little Walker has actually accomplished so far, I'm not sure I'd want to offer Santana for him. 157.1 is his high for IP so far, & he's only controlled for three more seasons.

Not saying I think Santana is worth Walker+, but I'd rather use Domingo to go after a better SP. I feel like, if we acquire Walker, we'd burn his three years finishing his development into a 200 IP/yr arm, just in time to lose him to FA.

I like the idea of trying to trade for an emerging & not established arm, but no way I'd pay as much as you're proposing for Walker.

Walker also has a 169 IP season under his belt. 2015 with the Mariners. Walker would also provide more than Suter (and likely Woodruff) would be able to give us this season. Walker also wouldn't cost as much as Archer, Stroman, Fulmer, etc. if Stearns isn't willing to part with the farm just yet.

That offer seems a little rich for me. 6 years of Woodruff alone for 3 years of Walker is arguably an overpay, depending on how much you value Woodruff.

(Walker was once a more highly regarded prospect, but he's pitched 514 IP at this point with results that are not far from what many expect from Woodruff)

That offer seems a little rich for me. 6 years of Woodruff alone for 3 years of Walker is arguably an overpay, depending on how much you value Woodruff.

(Walker was once a more highly regarded prospect, but he's pitched 514 IP at this point with results that are not far from what many expect from Woodruff)

Yeah if a deal requires Woodruff & Santana I'd want a much better upgrade in SP. No thanks on Brandon Drury

Yep. Scared of the name factor. Woodruff doesn’t have one (yet) but Walker had that top prospect pedigree so he must be worth a kings ransom and he would for sure improve us. This move would make so little sense to me. Our club would get worse this year and most likely in the future.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Santana for Zack Godley would be an interesting trade. You are arguably buying high on Godley because he was not regarded as much more than a back-end starter or swingman before his excellent 2017, but it's a gamble on him being the real deal. Depends on how both teams evaluate him (favorably on the part of the Brewers, or negatively on the part of Arizona).

Walker is a 1.55 WAR player taking the three year splits, a 2.6 WAR player if just looking at 2017 and is projected to be a 2.3 WAR player in 2018. I think putting a 2.3 WAR value on him moving forward is fair.

Drury is a 0.6 WAR player taking the two year splits, was a 1.4 WAR player if just looking at 2018 and is projected to be a 0.75 WAR player in 2018. I think putting a 0.75 WAR value on him moving forward is fair. When the WAR value is this low, I tend to look at equivalency with prospects and determine surplus value that way. Would any team trade a top 100 prospect for Drury? Not a chance. Maybe a top 10 organizational prospect. So that's what I think his value would be.

Already have discussed Santana's value extensively. One of the hardest players in the MLB to project IMO. Was a legitmate 3+ WAR player last year but is only projected at a 1.7 WAR player next year. I feel pretty decent about projecting him at 2.4 WAR moving forward.

If you buy all the above, surplus values would be as follows:

-Taijuan Walker = 48.41 million

-Brandon Drury = 11.45 million

Diamondbacks total = 59.86 million

-Domingo Santana = 72.75 million

-Brandon Woodruff = 17.86 million

-Freddy Peralta = 11.45 million

-Mauricio Dubon = 11.45 million

Brewers total = 113.51 million

Walker is a 1.55 WAR player taking the three year splits, a 2.6 WAR player if just looking at 2017 and is projected to be a 2.3 WAR player in 2018. I think putting a 2.3 WAR value on him moving forward is fair.

Drury is a 0.6 WAR player taking the two year splits, was a 1.4 WAR player if just looking at 2018 and is projected to be a 0.75 WAR player in 2018. I think putting a 0.75 WAR value on him moving forward is fair. When the WAR value is this low, I tend to look at equivalency with prospects and determine surplus value that way. Would any team trade a top 100 prospect for Drury? Not a chance. Maybe a top 10 organizational prospect. So that's what I think his value would be.

Already have discussed Santana's value extensively. One of the hardest players in the MLB to project IMO. Was a legitmate 3+ WAR player last year but is only projected at a 1.7 WAR player next year. I feel pretty decent about projecting him at 2.4 WAR moving forward.

If you buy all the above, surplus values would be as follows:

-Taijuan Walker = 48.41 million

-Brandon Drury = 11.45 million

Diamondbacks total = 59.86 million

-Domingo Santana = 72.75 million

-Brandon Woodruff = 17.86 million

-Freddy Peralta = 11.45 million

-Mauricio Dubon = 11.45 million

Brewers total = 113.51 million

While I don't disagree with your valuations walker is 25 and has ace level potential. He's a possible star in the making. To control that 25 26 27. Well we talk salazar for Domingo around here. I'd rather have Walker.

Straight up, I wouldn't flinch. I'd see it as a steal. Walker could blossom into a downright monster and I see last years uptick as a clear his throat year. I have no interest in Drury but Id do santana dubon and a ticket arm for walker easily. Immediately I'd offer walker an anderson arby buy out extension contract.

While I appreciate the time and effort in the above post, these WAR trade valuations don't hold a lot of water in my book.

Every single GM in the league would choose Taijuan Walker over Domingo Santana if given the the choice.

Young, controllable SP with TOR potential have much more actual value than a corner OF with Santana's offensive/defensive profile.

Archived