Brewer Fanatic

Trade for “Lesser Pitcher” (Jharel Cotton / Jake Odorizzi)

NOMAAM
I don't think they are really in on anyone bit or small. They are going into spring training telling guys they have a shot at starting and then what? They sing a different guy and tick everyone off? What you see is what you are going to get.

That's baseball, and these guys are professionals that get that. I doubt Stearns is worried about what Gallardo or Miley thinks if they sign Cobb.

That'd be a pretty poopy way to go about your business. You need filler FA's to sign for depth and none will if you make it a standard practice to lie to them about their opportunities. I highly doubt that doesn't factor in at some level. I'd put the chances of a significant pitching acquisition at about 40% right now.

I highly doubt that anyone was lied to. Telling the media that they're comfortable with what they have is standard practice for teams looking to make a move.

When a veteran signs a non-guaranteed deal with an invitation to camp, no one is telling them that they're a shoo-in for a spot. They know they're running out of chances to prove themselves. They only signed with the Brewers because they knew the Brewers were trying to improve their final rotation spot, so it would make sense that if in trying to improve that spot they would trade for or sign a more talented player if possible.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Random Question - Say the Brewers have a trade offer to the Rays for Odorizzi...Did they have to wait until the arbitration cases are done?

Which was decided today per Heyman. Odorizzi won.

Good question and could be good news for teams wanting him given the Rays are supposedly trying to clear payroll.

Made this assumption a bit back. If he's going year to year in Arb the decision in Odorizzi's favor would mean an expected increase on salary in the future than if he lost. And I'd imagine a team's trade offer being a B prospect vs a C prospect type of affect(not the headliner prospect in the deal) Take the Jakes in our system, maybe Gatewood if he lost, or Nottingham if he won.

Random Question - Say the Brewers have a trade offer to the Rays for Odorizzi...Did they have to wait until the arbitration cases are done?

Which was decided today per Heyman. Odorizzi won.

Good question and could be good news for teams wanting him given the Rays are supposedly trying to clear payroll.

Made this assumption a bit back. If he's going year to year in Arb the decision in Odorizzi's favor would mean an expected increase on salary in the future than if he lost. And I'd imagine a team's trade offer being a B prospect vs a C prospect type of affect(not the headliner prospect in the deal) Take the Jakes in our system, maybe Gatewood if he lost, or Nottingham if he won.

If we land a guy who was a 3 WAR player in 15 and 16 for Jake Nottingham I will truly be impressed. Actually if we can get a door stop for Nottingham I will be impressed.

He would have been very much a buy low option. I do like the fact that this most likely takes Minny out of the running for Archer.

Does it take them out of the running for FA pitchers? Is another interesting question.

Jake was a 3 war pitcher in 2015 and 2016. We aren't getting him for Dubon and Broxton, etc.

So about that we aren't getting him for Dubon and Broxton, etc....

Dubon by himself would have been an overpay from what the Twins gave the Rays for Odorizzi.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived