Brewer Fanatic

Trade for “Lesser Pitcher” (Jharel Cotton / Jake Odorizzi)

NOMAAM
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we are back to overvaluing Brandon Woodruff. Brewers would be smart to cash him in as a trade chip while his perceived prospect value is still high.

This reminds me of when Jorge Lopez's prospect stock at a high point during the 2015-2016 offseason.

Twitter HH19 is saying there has been talk of Broxton for Cotton.

Wasn't great last year but it was his first extended look in the bigs. Dominated in the minors so I would be 100% on board with sending Broxton for a young controllable guy with upside.

I think we are back to overvaluing Brandon Woodruff. Brewers would be smart to cash him in as a trade chip while his perceived prospect value is still high.

This reminds me of when Jorge Lopez's prospect stock at a high point during the 2015-2016 offseason.

No, Lopez has always had questions to his control. It's always been projected as below average. Woodruff has been projected as above average since 2016.

HH on Twitter says we have discussed Broxton for Cotton. I would do that

Ken Rosenthal mentioned Cotton as a target for the Brewers just a couple of days ago, but the speculation was that it would cost Santana. Broxton seems way too low of an offer for Cotton.

Right? Maybe you are including Jesus Aguilar as a Platoon 1b bat solving the Braun dilemma.

Wasn't great last year but it was his first extended look in the bigs. Dominated in the minors so I would be 100% on board with sending Broxton for a young controllable guy with upside.

Looking at his minor league stats, I guess I wouldn't say that he "dominated" down there. Solid numbers, but certainly not Corbin Burnes 2017 type domination.

If this deal would go down - what would we be looking to do with Cotton? Does he take one of the rotation spots? If so, that's certainly not an "all-in" type of move by the Brewers. Yes, there may be some upside with him, but we are talking about a guy who really struggled in his first full year of MLB action last year.

Looking at his minor league stats, I guess I wouldn't say that he "dominated" down there. Solid numbers, but certainly not Corbin Burnes 2017 type domination.

If this deal would go down - what would we be looking to do with Cotton? Does he take one of the rotation spots? If so, that's certainly not an "all-in" type of move by the Brewers. Yes, there may be some upside with him, but we are talking about a guy who really struggled in his first full year of MLB action last year.

Wow has he turned bad at allowing HRs these 2 HR seasons MLB has had of late. Whatever this ball change they had, he has taken a nosedive at keeping the ball in the park. 2.0/9 pitching in Oakland? I can see why Broxton value is there for him. Imagine Cotton has options, and he's your band-aid til Nelson returns or the trade deadline as he most likely not performing worthy enough to maintain a spot in rotation through the year.

I think there is a cloud on this “all in” mentality. No one from the brewers have said such a thing. They simply saw an opportunity with Cain and Yelich that there value/price was too good to pass up. According to there analysis. So just because we fans want more and more aggressive moves, doing so maybe rash and actually hurt our organization. Not saying moves won’t be made, but the term “all in” just makes me cringe.

Interesting the watch Pedro break down Cotton. Mid 90’s fastball. Devastating changeup. If it’s for Broxton please pull the trigger.

I wonder how much they are asking Vogt about him since he caught him in Oakland.

Jharel Cotton entering his age 26 season with a career 4.95 ERA & 1.326 WHIP in MLB, and his MiLB stats aren't much better... I seriously doubt he'll cost us Santana!

I'd rather roll with Woodruff, and I'd be careful dealing with Billy Beane, he's fleeced us before

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I think a deal around Cotton for Broxton would be highly beneficial for both players and teams. Having our pitching coaches work with Cotton to me has major upside certainly for an expendable player like Broxton. Keon is an upside play for Oakland as well, as they only really have Piscotty as a full time OF. Obviously they have Khris Davis but with his defense, he might be better off as a DH going forward.

Jharel Cotton entering his age 26 season with a career 4.95 ERA & 1.326 WHIP in MLB, and his MiLB stats aren't much better... I seriously doubt he'll cost us Santana!

I'd rather roll with Woodruff, and I'd be careful dealing with Billy Beane, he's fleeced us before

You don't think a guy that has thrown 468.1 innings in the minors and has a stat line of:

ERA: 3.65

WHIP: 1.10

Avg: .222

K's: 527

K/9: 10.13

BB/9: 2.58

is good?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

You don't think a guy that has thrown 468.1 innings in the minors and has a stat line of:

ERA: 3.65

WHIP: 1.10

Avg: .222

K's: 527

K/9: 10.13

BB/9: 2.58

is good?

It's also important to note that development isn't linear and it takes some guys longer to figure it out. Chase Anderson had a breakout season at age 29. One thing that is extremely encouraging are his strikeout numbers. Those tend to translate pretty well across all levels. Maybe not to the affect of 10.13 K/9 but its a great starting point.

Plus that change-up is DIRTY and Pedro loves him. Pretty good guy to have on your side ;)

The Rays just signed Romo so they need to make a corresponding roster move to create space on the 40 man...

And here it is: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/02/rays-micah-johnson-clears-waivers-outrighted.html

Blah! I guess every team has a Micah Johnson waiting around to be DFA'd. For the Brewers, it's Oliver Drake.

I think there is a cloud on this “all in” mentality. No one from the brewers have said such a thing. They simply saw an opportunity with Cain and Yelich that there value/price was too good to pass up. According to there analysis. So just because we fans want more and more aggressive moves, doing so maybe rash and actually hurt our organization. Not saying moves won’t be made, but the term “all in” just makes me cringe.

Well said.

I get worried about "all in" as well, but until he proves different, I believe that Stearns will always have a long-term outlook for the team. A move like Broxton-for-Cotton makes a lot of sense for the Brewers. Broxton is better than a 5th OF, and that's the best he'd be for the Brewers. Meanwhile, Cotton is a high-upside starter whose stock is probably down after a lackluster rookie season.

With Nelson set to return mid-season and a bunch of other young arms getting near MLB ready, I'd be fine if the Brewers decided to start the season with Cotton in the #5 slot. Even if they weren't trading for him to give him a rotation spot right away, he still makes sense as a young pitcher with a lot of potential who could really help them down the road.

This would be the type of trade that both teams could "win" on, or either team could "lose" on, but for the Brewers I'd like to see another high-upside, MLB ready arm with a lot of team control in the system.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I don't think they are really in on anyone bit or small. They are going into spring training telling guys they have a shot at starting and then what? They sing a different guy and tick everyone off? What you see is what you are going to get.
but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I don't think they are really in on anyone bit or small. They are going into spring training telling guys they have a shot at starting and then what? They sing a different guy and tick everyone off? What you see is what you are going to get.

That's baseball, and these guys are professionals that get that. I doubt Stearns is worried about what Gallardo or Miley thinks if they sign Cobb.

That's baseball, and these guys are professionals that get that. I doubt Stearns is worried about what Gallardo or Miley thinks if they sign Cobb.

That'd be a pretty poopy way to go about your business. You need filler FA's to sign for depth and none will if you make it a standard practice to lie to them about their opportunities. I highly doubt that doesn't factor in at some level. I'd put the chances of a significant pitching acquisition at about 40% right now.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

One thing Stearns has shown as GM is that he isn't afraid to sign and release guys, so if an opportunity arises to add someone he thinks is better than what he's got, he's going to sign him.

Whenever a team makes a roster move, someone gets bumped. Players know this, and that's incentive for anyone not on a guaranteed contract to do everything they can to impress. Gallardo and Miley signed knowing they were in a competition for a roster spot. If they play well in spring training they will give themselves a chance to make a roster, whether that's the Brewers or another team.

The only ones with any kind of a gripe would be the prospects, but history has shown that teams don't make decisions based on the feelings of their minor leaguers.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived