Brewer Fanatic

Trade for “Lesser Pitcher” (Jharel Cotton / Jake Odorizzi)

NOMAAM

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Ken Rosenthal’s most recent Article for the The Athletic he included this nugget when referring to the Brewers:

”The team also has explored trades for lesser pitchers, including the Tampa Bay Rays’ Jake Odorizzi and Oakland Athletics’ Jharel Cotton.”

That is the first time I have heard the Brewers connected to Jharel Cotton, but it doesn’t necessarily surprise me they might be looking for mid-20’s pitchers with several years of control remaining.

Who else fits the “lesser pitcher” description that you think might make sense for the Brewers?

Not just “at Night” anymore.

This is exactly what I want them to do. Pass on the free agents, and pass on emptying the farm for an Archer or Stroman. This is also exactly what they did when they acquired Chase Anderson and Zach Davies (and what the Cubs did when they got Arrieta).

I like Cotton when I've seen him pitch his stuff passed the eyeball test. Gives up a ton of homers thou. Perhaps it's pitch selection and confidence. Depends on what u give up for him. Maybe he's part of a package including prospects for Santana.

if they some how got back Odorizzi, and started the season with Odorizzi, Cain and Jeffreys on the MLB roster that would be incredible.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Cotton makes a lot of sense along the lines of Yelich/Cain as a guy who can potentially breakout in 2018, but even if he's a longer term project he'd be around to help 4-5 years from now.

The minor league stats are very impressive. If Stearns and the Brewers front office really like him, then Cotton for Santana doesn't seem crazy.

Here's his Fangraph scouting report from early 2017:

Scouting Report

Acquired from the Dodgers along with Grant Holmes and Frankie Montas in the deal that sent Rich Hill and Josh Reddick to Los Angeles, Cotton and his Bugs Bunny changeup have ascended to the majors and are having early-career success. Though clearly undersized (something about which I think Oakland correctly cares less than other franchises), Cotton is a terrific athlete with a full palette of pitches with which to paint, headlined by that upper-70s changeup which often has a 15 mph delta off his fastball. Cotton also works in an above-average cutter quite frequently and will loop in an average curveball.

Some scouts think Cotton’s delivery, during which he swivels about an axis created by a stiff front leg, limits his command. Those scouts think Cotton profiles as more of a No. 4/5 type of starter. Others, including myself, believe enough in the athleticism and depth of the repertoire to consider him an above-average big-league starter.

The odds of him turning a corner and becoming a quality mlb pitcher are slim.

What is this based on? Yeah he has a season under his belt (which was not great), but he's basically an MLB-ready prospect. All depends on the front office's evaluation of him.

Cotton makes a lot of sense along the lines of Yelich/Cain as a guy who can potentially breakout in 2018, but even if he's a longer term project he'd be around to help 4-5 years from now.

The minor league stats are very impressive. If Stearns and the Brewers front office really like him, then Cotton for Santana doesn't seem crazy.

Scouting Report

Acquired from the Dodgers along with Grant Holmes and Frankie Montas in the deal that sent Rich Hill and Josh Reddick to Los Angeles, Cotton and his Bugs Bunny changeup have ascended to the majors and are having early-career success. Though clearly undersized (something about which I think Oakland correctly cares less than other franchises), Cotton is a terrific athlete with a full palette of pitches with which to paint, headlined by that upper-70s changeup which often has a 15 mph delta off his fastball. Cotton also works in an above-average cutter quite frequently and will loop in an average curveball.

Some scouts think Cotton’s delivery, during which he swivels about an axis created by a stiff front leg, limits his command. Those scouts think Cotton profiles as more of a No. 4/5 type of starter. Others, including myself, believe enough in the athleticism and depth of the repertoire to consider him an above-average big-league starter.

At first I looked just at his MLB stats and thought, Why? But looking at his MiLB stats over 6 seasons, it's far more impressive. 10.1K/9, 2.6BB/9, WHIP 1.1, ERA 3.65. And yeah, at 26, and under Derek Johnson's tutelage, could be a smart, buy-low, DS savvy move. But getting only him back for Domingo? Not so sure about that.

Scouting Report

At first I looked just at his MLB stats and thought, Why? But looking at his MiLB stats over 6 seasons, it's far more impressive. 10.1K/9, 2.6BB/9, WHIP 1.1, ERA 3.65. And yeah, at 26, and under Derek Johnson's tutelage, could be a smart, buy-low, DS savvy move. But getting only him back for Domingo? Not so sure about that.

Yeah the A's would need to kick in more or perhaps straight up for Broxton

The odds of him turning a corner and becoming a quality mlb pitcher are slim.

What is this based on? Yeah he has a season under his belt (which was not great), but he's basically an MLB-ready prospect. All depends on the front office's evaluation of him.

A season which was dreadful, not simply "not great". His stuff isn't all that great either, he has a plus changeup with average everything else...only last year every single one of his pitches graded negatively on fangraphs. He's 26, so he definitely can improve...but we aren't a team that should take on a pitcher that will likely experience significant growing pains. Having Hader start would make more sense than bringing in Cotton.

There's no way they turn Santana into just Cotton

I don't think Cotton makes sense for the Brewers, I also don't think Santana makes sense for the A's. That said, Santana has worlds more value than Cotton...I have to think Cotton as a target would involve mid-level minor leaguers.

I'd sure think so. There aren't too many 24 year old 870 OPS guys out there. Cotton is just barely over what we already have in the number 5 slot.

This is exactly what I want them to do. Pass on the free agents, and pass on emptying the farm for an Archer or Stroman. This is also exactly what they did when they acquired Chase Anderson and Zach Davies (and what the Cubs did when they got Arrieta).

Brewers aren't going anywhere with a rotation full of 3's and 4's. Anderson has been good but it took him a while to get there. Davies can be inconsistent. If you want to compete you need proven starters. IF they can get to the playoffs, they will get shellacked.

Brewers aren't going anywhere with a rotation full of 3's and 4's. Anderson has been good but it took him a while to get there. Davies can be inconsistent. If you want to compete you need proven starters. IF they can get to the playoffs, they will get shellacked.

Only way to get to be a “proven” pitcher is by letting some of these guys go out and prove it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Not necessarily. If this were true the Nationals would have back to back to back championships but they don't they barely have a series win. The Nationals for the last couple of years have had the best rotation and a pretty good offense but yet they have not won a single world series.

There's no way they turn Santana into just Cotton

I don't think Cotton makes sense for the Brewers, I also don't think Santana makes sense for the A's. That said, Santana has worlds more value than Cotton...I have to think Cotton as a target would involve mid-level minor leaguers.

I'd sure think so. There aren't too many 24 year old 870 OPS guys out there. Cotton is just barely over what we already have in the number 5 slot.

Feels like people have been saying Santana is 24 for about 2 years, he was bound to have a birthday eventually -- he's 25. Otherwise true, Cotton for Santana alone isn't enough.

Not necessarily. If this were true the Nationals would have back to back to back championships but they don't they barely have a series win. The Nationals for the last couple of years have had the best rotation and a pretty good offense but yet they have not won a single world series.

The Nationals at least had a shot at the world series last year - they were in the playoffs. If I recall correctly, we didn't make the playoffs and the reason why isbecause our rotation was in tatters. As it stands now, we are in the exact same boat as the end of last year - except with Chacin who is a 4 at best and Gallardo who is years removed from being even decent.

The Nationals at least had a shot at the world series last year - they were in the playoffs. If I recall correctly, we didn't make the playoffs and the reason why isbecause our rotation was in tatters. As it stands now, we are in the exact same boat as the end of last year - except with Chacin who is a 4 at best and Gallardo who is years removed from being even decent.

No, this is why:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/split/182

Archived