2. Davies

3. Chacin

4. Guerra

5. Miley

Long: Suter, Gallardo, Jeffress

Mid: Barnes, Logan

Late: Hader, Albers

CL: Knebel

Lots of experience there. Not sure what else to say I guess. Could be a nice group if all pitched to their abilities.

Pggyback guerra/suter and miley/yo?

Guerra Suter I can see. Guerra through 4 was fine last year. Suter through 3 kept them off balance.

Miley Yo just seems like 2 guys piggy backed just because.

Kinda what I was thinking. Miley and Gallardo were signed with intentions of giving them a shot to pitch in the MLB again. Piggy backing them might be just the ticket.

The 4 I could stomach. I'd be really really excited to see woodruff burnes peralta in june if I had to watch that 5 spot too many times. I'm staring at the make up of this team and I just cant get excited about it as is. Cobb would make such a huge difference even if we got last years cobb. Just by stabalizing another 180ip. The 4.5 offensive runs per game I assume will improve but I'm trying to sort out the staff some way that I like it. The guerra suter 7 inning duo could be solid. Could 4.0 7ip. I had woody/suter. I could do Guerra Suter.

That 5 is brutal though. I can't trust miley yo. Woodruff I'd prefer there.

Anderson Davies Chacin Guerra/Suter Woodruff

Knebel, hader, albers, logan, jeffress, barnes, yo (junk long)

Why would we make Miley the 5 over Woodruff? The last two for miley were soo bad. Honestly if you could tell me we get 28 year old miley and his 4.4 era 32 starts and 190 ip... I'd take it easily... but I dont see why him and yo should revert.

It's pathetic but I would kill for another chacin. We had 294.1 starting innings by guys who pitched a 5.4 era in 61 starts and didnt make it 5ip.

But the more I think about it the more I feel and dread, guerra/suter 4 with miley as the 5 and yo as a traditional long man, is how we break camp. Try the retreds until they fail. Then move on to woodruff burnes peralta and possibly nelson.

With how bad our 5 can be I don't see why we wouldn't just let woodruff work his way into the ranks.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Jim Bowden is reporting that Cobb and Lynn are both still asking for contracts guaranteeing them more than $50M.

Although Bowden says 'all are waiting for 3-Year deals under $50m so they don’t have to give up draft pick compensation according to sources' - which makes no sense, because the $50M has nothing to do with the compensation given up by the clubs. That just improves the compensation of the teams that lose the players.

The longer this drags out, these guys have to realize that they are going to get worse deals, right? I mean, just because some team might suffer a starter getting injured isn't going to suddenly get arrieta 6 years and 150 million...

I'm starting to think what Chatwood got might be closer to what Lynn/Cobb may get the longer this plays out too. And if they're not careful it might be for less.

Jim Bowden is reporting that Cobb and Lynn are both still asking for contracts guaranteeing them more than $50M

In the scheme of things $50 million really isn’t that much. If all it took to get Cobb was $50-$60 over four years I’d do that. I’m sorry but Gallardo and Miley shouldn’t even be in the conversation for rotation spots. And Guerra is looking like a one year wonder. How do you trade for Yelich, sign Cain, and then include some combination of Miley/Gallardo/Guerra in your rotation? Is this really the year you want to fill your rotation and rotation depth with a bunch of bounce back hopefuls?

Jim Bowden is reporting that Cobb and Lynn are both still asking for contracts guaranteeing them more than $50M

In the scheme of things $50 million really isn’t that much. If all it took to get Cobb was $50-$60 over four years I’d do that. I’m sorry but Gallardo and Miley shouldn’t even be in the conversation for rotation spots. And Guerra is looking like a one year wonder. How do you trade for Yelich, sign Cain, and then include some combination of Miley/Gallardo/Guerra in your rotation? Is this really the year you want to fill your rotation and rotation depth with a bunch of bounce back hopefuls?

Thank you!!

I dont know why more people cant see this... Cant honestly except us to contend with Guerra/Miley/Gallardo in our rotation.

Thank you!!

I dont know why more people cant see this... Cant honestly except us to contend with Guerra/Miley/Gallardo in our rotation.

Contended a year ago without making that type of a signing. We had some pretty lousy pitchers at the back end and yet we were top 10 in ERA. I’m sure the Brewers front office and owner know what they’d like to spend on a pitcher. If the free agents don’t come down to those markers, we’ll go to battle with what we have and make an adjustment at the break if need be. I’m glad Stearns/Mark A are playing hard ball with these guys. Really not the end of the world going into the season with the pitchers on the roster and we haven’t even got to the cut down days. There might come an arm that helps us there too.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Thank you!!

Contended a year ago without making that type of a signing. We had some pretty lousy pitchers at the back end and yet we were top 10 in ERA. I’m sure the Brewers front office and owner know what they’d like to spend on a pitcher. If the free agents don’t come down to those markers, we’ll go to battle with what we have and make an adjustment at the break if need be. I’m glad Stearns/Mark A are playing hard ball with these guys. Really not the end of the world going into the season with the pitchers on the roster and we haven’t even got to the cut down days. There might come an arm that helps us there too.

You except everyone to have career years again?

Thank you!!

Who is everyone? Because that certainly didn’t happen last season with all of our pitchers. But I guess it’s no different in hoping for that sort of like you’re hoping that we shovel Cobb a bunch of cash and hope he regains his best pitch.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Who is everyone? Because that certainly didn’t happen last season with all of our pitchers. But I guess it’s no different in hoping for that sort of like you’re hoping that we shovel Cobb a bunch of cash and hope he regains his best pitch

You're honestly ok with this rotation?

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

Guerra - One year wonder, theres a reason he didnt make his MLB until 30

Miley/Gallardo - 2 of the worst pitchers the last 2 seasons

IF Nelson was healthy right now, I would be fine with

Nelson

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

Woodruff/Suter/Guerra/Miley/Gallardo battling for 5th spot

But Jimmy isnt healthy.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Who is everyone? Because that certainly didn’t happen last season with all of our pitchers. But I guess it’s no different in hoping for that sort of like you’re hoping that we shovel Cobb a bunch of cash and hope he regains his best pitch

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

Nelson

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

But Jimmy isnt healthy.

I fear that due to the rumors and talk over the last month that you have jacked yourself up so much on the idea of Cobb being a Brewer that it's going to be a hard fall for you if it doesn't happen. But with each passing day, the chance of him being a Brewer is probably going down. I too would love to see the rotation fortified but if they roll with what they have, they obviously don't see any of the pitchers still out there as an improvement over what they have. And if a guy like Woodruff or even Gallardo can become the next Nelson or Anderson, they'd be just fine. And I'll cheer hard for them regardless of what happens. This team is a playoff contender with or without Cobb. It's just a little better odds with him.

Who is everyone? Because that certainly didn’t happen last season with all of our pitchers.

Anderson and Nelson both had career years last season. While I certainly hope Anderson can repeat it’s a big if. And who knows what Nelson will be when he gets back from a pretty substantial should injury.

Last year the Brewers starters had a top 5 ERA in the NL. I just can’t see anything close to that with a rotation consisting of Miley, Guerra, and/or Gallardo. All three of them were just awful last year. Additionally, of someone told you three months ago we could have gotten Cobb for 4/$60 I think any one of us would have taken that. Even though he’s probably not a TOR guy, he’s a significant upgrade over the other three.

Anderson, Davies, Cobb, Chacin, Woodruff looks much better to me than Anderson, Davies, Chacin, Woodruff and Miley/Guerra.

While some guys will certainly regress, how many games alone did our bullpen give away last year just in the first half? I don't remember the number, but it was pretty astounding. Once Hader came up, it really turned around. Swarzek and Jeffress helped too of course, but Hader was key. This year, he'll be in our pen as our relief ace from day one.

The pen SHOULD be well improved from that first half last year. Knebel may regress, but Barnes should improve. I like Albers more than most. I think he'll be a valuable asset and has a good chance to match whatever Swarzek gives to the Mets for a third of the cost.

Taylor Williams NEEDS to be a part of this pen. I trust that management will not do something dumb like stash him in the minors for 'depth' while Oliver Drake gives away games in April and May.

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

Nelson

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

But Jimmy isnt healthy.

Noticed you left off Woodruff to the top rotation. No mention of Burnes either. And to answer your question, yeah I am okay with that rotation if it means we didn’t over pay in prospects or money for a long period of time. 2018 isn’t the all in year. There will be other opportunities to add to this staff. Not going off the deep end of Cobb or even worse Lynn don’t work out for us.

Spring training began. You didn't accept my offer. Moving on. Don't want any of these FAs anymore. Hope all offers are pulled completely and Good luck to the team who signs these guys less than a week to begin season. First appearance on the mound in game watch them go down to a serious injury. Enjoy that investment!

Spring training began. You didn't accept my offer. Moving on. Don't want any of these FAs anymore. Hope all offers are pulled completely and Good luck to the team who signs these guys less than a week to begin season. First appearance on the mound in game watch them go down to a serious injury. Enjoy that investment!

Don't agree with this. For the most part these guys keep themselves in shape. There's an injury risk with any deal and any player. We signed a 34 year old Kyle Lohse on March 25th five years ago and we got 2 very good 200 inning seasons of 3.50 ERA type pitching.

Talent evaluation, negotiation, and acquisition is a year round job and you don't stop doing your due diligence while other teams continue to and miss out on potential bargain opportunities just because Spring Training has started.

I would also add, Stearns and Arnold do their homework. They have studied every teams organization. Other teams have roster crunches as well. I'm willing to bet the reason Stearns can hold firm on his offers is because he knows other pitchers may be available at cut down time via trade or waiver claim. They have had conversations with other GM's, it's reasonable to assume perhaps both the brewers and other trade partners are waiting for spring training to play out. To be sure they don't suffer injuries in their staff before trading from their pitching depth or prospect depth. I'm not convinced the available free agent pitchers consider the Brewers as their choice, or even their 2nd or 3rd choice of teams they are willing to sign with. Especially a low ball offer. That's just my speculation, but Stearns may have gotten that impression as well. who knows.

Not going off the deep end of Cobb or even worse Lynn don’t work out for us.

Nobody is suggesting you go off the deep end for anyone. And quite honestly given what decent starting pitching tends to cost it’s more lielely we’d be getting a bargain than anything. I get that here are other opportunities past 2018. But what makes you think we’ll get any better of a deal next offseason? This offseason is like none we’ve seen in a long time. And given the quality of FA next year it’s not likely to repeat itself.

First appearance on the mound in game watch them go down to a serious injury. Enjoy that investment

Huh?

Plenty of people have suggested that we just give Cobb what he wants, especially the poster I was responding to. I’m glad we aren’t doing that. Other opportunities will come or maybe Cobb comes down on asking price. Cobb is no ace nor probably TOR so I’m perfectly fine with standing our ground here.

[sarcasm]Solid negotiation skills there![/sarcasm]

Not going off the deep end of Cobb or even worse Lynn don’t work out for us.

Nobody is suggesting you go off the deep end for anyone. And quite honestly given what decent starting pitching tends to cost it’s more lielely we’d be getting a bargain than anything. I get that here are other opportunities past 2018. But what makes you think we’ll get any better of a deal next offseason? This offseason is like none we’ve seen in a long time. And given the quality of FA next year it’s not likely to repeat itself.

First appearance on the mound in game watch them go down to a serious injury. Enjoy that investment

Huh?

Yes this is the offseason to get a SP because the coming offseason's we wont be able to come close to signing a top SP... We dont have that kind of spending funds.

Who is everyone? Because that certainly didn’t happen last season with all of our pitchers.

Anderson and Nelson both had career years last season. While I certainly hope Anderson can repeat it’s a big if. And who knows what Nelson will be when he gets back from a pretty substantial should injury.

Last year the Brewers starters had a top 5 ERA in the NL. I just can’t see anything close to that with a rotation consisting of Miley, Guerra, and/or Gallardo. All three of them were just awful last year. Additionally, of someone told you three months ago we could have gotten Cobb for 4/$60 I think any one of us would have taken that. Even though he’s probably not a TOR guy, he’s a significant upgrade over the other three.

Anderson, Davies, Cobb, Chacin, Woodruff looks much better to me than Anderson, Davies, Chacin, Woodruff and Miley/Guerra.

You are simply ignoring the numbers then. The pen looks like a 3.5 pen. Big improvement. The 4-5 needs 64 starts at 4.7 era averaging 5 ip to match last year. That's not hard to do. Adding cobb would make the era dramatically better than it was last year. Right now its about equal. THAT'S HOW BAD the back end and pen was last year.

I’m glad we aren’t doing that. Other opportunities will come or maybe Cobb comes down on asking price. Cobb is no ace nor probably TOR so I’m perfectly fine with standing our ground here.

I guess it depends what he wants. He came to us and said he’d sign for 4/$60 million id do that no problem. It doesn’t break the bank and it solidifies the rotation. No he’s not at ace but it should be clear now the only way the Brewers are getting an ace is if they trade the farm for a year or twos worth of ace. We aren’t signing one and getting a TOR prospect will cost a fortune too, if you can even find one that’s available.

Plenty of people have suggested that we just give Cobb what he wants, especially the poster I was responding to. I’m glad we aren’t doing that. Other opportunities will come or maybe Cobb comes down on asking price. Cobb is no ace nor probably TOR so I’m perfectly fine with standing our ground here.

Well whats that number? 64/4? If so, yeah give him what he wants. He's our 3rd best pitcher if he's merely last years cobb. That's if Nelson returns well. Cobb's a 2. Split change back and he's absolutely a 1. Hes not an ace but aces don't command a mere 16 mil per without buying them out beyond their certain decline.

This team could go Guerra/suter combo and Miley might have settled his mechanics and will give us a very respectable year. It's clever sure... but its not close to what cobb can do. Trying to manufacture a davies is one thing. Adding a guy for your playoff rotation is a different story.

Archived