Brewer Fanatic

FA Pitchers

Of the remaining free agent pitchers, I think the following all make sense for the Brewers to compete for the five spot.

1.) Lynn- Durability, durability, durability. He could pencil in the #4 spot and keeps the pen fresh for Woodruff's possible short starts.

2.) Cashner- Could be an intriguing candidate for the pen if the rotation does not work out. Would be better in the NL.

3.) Vargas- Decent starter, last chance to compete? Possible minor league deal?

4.) Tillman- Could be a bounce back player. Possible minor league deal?

Through Vargas, I believe all are better options than Suter but not a healthy Guerra.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just give Arrieta 1/$35m or whatever would make him the highest-paid pitcher in baseball for a year. He and Boras are so confident in themselves, so let them prove it.

Heck, make it 1/$49.9m just to make it worth his while and still avoid giving up a pick.

I love that idea. Make him earn his next contact, then give him a QO and get an extra pick we wasted on the Cain deal.

Just give Arrieta 1/$35m or whatever would make him the highest-paid pitcher in baseball for a year. He and Boras are so confident in themselves, so let them prove it.

Heck, make it 1/$49.9m just to make it worth his while and still avoid giving up a pick.

I love that idea. Make him earn his next contact, then give him a QO and get an extra pick we wasted on the Cain deal.

It makes too much sense to ever happen, right? Save face for Arrieta and Boras, keep the Brewers in the wild card picture, avoid the pick loss and bad contract that a small market team can so ill afford, and give Arrieta more than half of what he would get on a much longer deal anyway.

It makes too much sense to ever happen, right? Save face for Arrieta and Boras, keep the Brewers in the wild card picture, avoid the pick loss and bad contract that a small market team can so ill afford, and give Arrieta more than half of what he would get on a much longer deal anyway.

I would love this. It's not being mentioned anywhere around here, but someone posted on another site how the Brewers Payroll could easily be $140 million for the next 5 years and would not lose money. Offer Arrieta for 30-35 million and let him prove it.

We would still owe the Cubs a pick can’t avoid giving one up to them... they did offer a QO to Arietta

Unfortunately you can't.

Under the newest CBA, any player already offered a QO (that is then accepted or declined) can never again receive a 2nd QO.

So guys like Edwin E, Carlos Santana, Jake Arietta, Kendray Morales, Wade Davis, etc never have to deal with a QO again after their signed contracts end.

Actually, it doesn’t make any sense. Whoever signs Arrieta is going to forfeit 1-2 draft picks. I would suggest a refresher course in the new QO rules.

Unfortunately you can't.

Under the newest CBA, any player already offered a QO (that is then accepted or declined) can never again receive a 2nd QO.

So guys like Edwin E, Carlos Santana, Jake Arietta, Kendray Morales, Wade Davis, etc never have to deal with a QO again after their signed contracts end.

I'm running out of reasons why any team would want to sign Arrieta.

I'm starting to think Cobb could end up being a good sign. What's intriguing to me about Cobb is that he doesn't have a ton of innings, and will be coming into his 2nd full season after TJ surgery. Prior to his surgery this is a guy who had back to back seasons of sub 3 ERAs and that was all accomplished in the league with a DH.

Darvish ended up getting roughly 80% of what most predicted he'd get back in November. Cobb on a 3 or 4 year deal in the $13-14 AAV seems reasonable in comparison, and he might well be a better pitcher than Darvish.

We need to keep in mind how the huge contracts to pitchers can blow up. See Jordan Zimmermann.

I'm starting to think Cobb could end up being a good sign. What's intriguing to me about Cobb is that he doesn't have a ton of innings, and will be coming into his 2nd full season after TJ surgery. Prior to his surgery this is a guy who had back to back seasons of sub 3 ERAs and that was all accomplished in the league with a DH.

Darvish ended up getting roughly 80% of what most predicted he'd get back in November. Cobb on a 3 or 4 year deal in the $13-14 AAV seems reasonable in comparison, and he might well be a better pitcher than Darvish.

We need to keep in mind how the huge contracts to pitchers can blow up. See Jordan Zimmermann.

I’m totally on board with you. Cobb wouldn’t have the shock value of an Arrieta, but I think there’s a good chance he ends up being the better pitcher over the course of the next 4-5 years. I would love to add Cobb and make a trade for an arm as well.

I’m totally on board with you. Cobb wouldn’t have the shock value of an Arrieta, but I think there’s a good chance he ends up being the better pitcher over the course of the next 4-5 years. I would love to add Cobb and make a trade for an arm as well.

Agreed... Add Cobb, then trade for either Salazar or Odorizzi.

Anderson

Cobb

Salazar/Odorizzi

Davies

Chacin

Signing Cobb makes the most sense to me as well. He only has 700 innings on his arm and will be heading into his 2nd season back from Tommy John. It is important to note that when Cobb struggled toward the end of the 2016 season, those were the first 5 starts he made after not pitching for 2 years. He also had to adapt to using his number one pitch much less often; split-change. He had to reinvent himself to put less stress on his arm and that can take an extended amount of time, especially facing MLB hitters.

I think Cobb would sign a 4 year, $60 million contract and in my opinion will be better than Darvish over the life of the contract. Cobb moving to the NL should also help bring his ERA down to ace level in the 3.00-3.30 range. Him pitching in his 2nd season back from Tommy John will also have him going into 2018 more confident than any other point in his career since he was able to stay healthy and gain confidence in his adjusted pitch usage.

I'd be happy with either Cobb or Arrieta. Cobb because I think he's been a tad underrated in his career, and he doesn't have near the milage on his arm that others do. Arrieta because he's a bulldog on the mound, keeps himself in terrific shape, and will likely be pitching with a chip on his shoulder, especially this year against the Cubs.

I still believe that they'll sign one pitcher and trade for one, but what if they went crazy and signed two? Yes, they would be surrendering their 4th and 5th round picks, but that might be more palatable than giving up a haul of prospects for a pitcher. Then that would free them up to trade Santana and/or Broxton for prospects as well.

• 3 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I saw this interesting tidbit about Lance Lynn:

Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN reported in his most recent podcast that the Twins threw out a low-ball offer of about $12MM total over two years.

Obviously the Twins are fishing for someone desperate to accept any offer, but I think a lot of teams are doing this exact thing - lowballing players and hoping someone gets desperate and bites.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/03/placing-the-remaining-top-50-free-agents.html

Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN reported in his most recent podcast that the Twins threw out a low-ball offer of about $12MM total over two years.

Obviously the Twins are fishing for someone desperate to accept any offer, but I think a lot of teams are doing this exact thing - lowballing players and hoping someone gets desperate and bites.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/03/placing-the-remaining-top-50-free-agents.html

Oh man. There's low balling, there's insulting a guy, and then there's that offer. I'm so curious how this all ends, I can't imagine a contract that insultingly low gets accepted by anyone. Maybe Lucroy or Moustakas take low dollar deals, but not the pitching.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Oh man. There's low balling, there's insulting a guy, and then there's that offer. I'm so curious how this all ends, I can't imagine a contract that insultingly low gets accepted by anyone. Maybe Lucroy or Moustakas take low dollar deals, but not the pitching.

I'm guessing that some of these will be one year type deals with vesting options - sort of like the Logan Morrison deal. $10M in 2018 with a $12M option or $2M buyout - that kind of stuff. Teams are trying to protect themselves from commitments (unless it looks okay for them).

Still, 2 years/$12M is really low. Perhaps it had a bunch of bonuses - $1M for 20 starts, $1M for 30 starts, etc., etc.

I don't know how offensive an offer that is at this point to Lance Lynn.

Chris Tillman just had to sign a 1 year/$3M (plus incentives) with the Orioles, and I honestly don't think Lynn is THAT much better of a pitcher.

6 aav... below mikolas, chacin, and well below chatwood. Worse than Garcia. Nearly what pineda got and he's hurt! For Lynn... if im him I'm not only not accepting it, I'm done listening to offers from mn.

That's bad. Im stunned some lowpayroll team hasn't jumped into a buyers market and put some front loaded 2 year deals out there hoping to sell high on the 2nd year.

I never really looked into lynn. Wasn't crazy about him from the start. But 24/2 with a 2019 2 mil buyout is a steal. 11 and 13. Either 12 avv or 13/1. Not half that.

Archived