Brewer Fanatic

Darvish to Cubs - 6 yrs/~$126M

owbc
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Six years for him? I'm glad the Brewers didn't do that deal...it seems like Stearns may have been successful in driving up the contract Darvish got. All in all, a strategy that seems to have worked.

How so? 6 years sounds like a lot but 21M per is far under even the most conservative projection.

Six years for him? I'm glad the Brewers didn't do that deal...it seems like Stearns may have been successful in driving up the contract Darvish got. All in all, a strategy that seems to have worked.

How so? 6 years sounds like a lot but 21M per is far under even the most conservative projection.

Makes me think that the Brewers may have had the highest offer on the table, but he just didn't want to be here.

Gruber Lawffices

I agree and I don’t get the thinking of I’m glad the Cubs got a career 3.4 ERA pitcher and am glad the Brewers didn’t. He will improve your team but this is what is continuously wrong with baseball. The Cubs can screw this up and sign someone next year or they didn’t screw it up and he is awesome for them for years. Either way they don’t really lose

Pretty much locks in that we now sign Arrieta.

*sigh*

I hope not.

Darvish wouldn't have cost a pick. Arietta sends one to the Cubs.

I hope not too, just seems like it is going to happen...

:(

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Nightengale reports the deal includes "no trade provisions and opt outs" as well.

So the Cubs would have to hope that he’s worth it for the entire contract

No they don’t. They’re trying to win a WS over the next 2-3 years. If they do that and he sucks for the last three years, so what? They’ll probably just raise their salary “cap” and replace him. Rich get richer.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Cubs had no choice but overpay for Darvish's services... We are now able to concentrate on other pitchers verses waiting. The key is OVER PAY

I’ll be so happy to celebrate how much Darvish is being overpaid the next 5 or 6 years when the Brewers likely still are not winning any divisions.

I think this is the example of a signing that is good for one team but wouldn't have been good for another. 5 years 105 would have been tough on the Brewers. Adding a 6th would have been a mistake. It would have been 20 percent of our payroll for a 37 year old pitcher. For the confusion but they just don't have to worry the same way. They can have a couple bad contracts and still be ok. It is good for them the next couple years and then they will bite the bullet after that

Boras' asking price for Arrieta has been well above what Dervish settled for. Now the market has been set and Arrieta is probably going to get similar AAV but for 5 years not 6. I personally like Arrieta more than Darvish so I wouldn't mind Brewers grabbing him.

Pretty much locks in that we now sign Arrieta.

*sigh*

I hope not.

Darvish wouldn't have cost a pick. Arietta sends one to the Cubs.

I hope not too, just seems like it is going to happen...

:(

I'm thinking Arrieta is looking at 4/80 at this point. At best. Maybe 3/60 or 4/72.

I'd agree. The later years may be a mistake, but one the Cubs can easily absorb with a big market. Did the Crew only offer four or five years?

In any case, looking at ERA, WHIP, etc., I'm not sure that Darvish would have been that much better than Davies over the long haul. Maybe it's time to give Davies an extension - say, six years, $65 million?

Anything that makes the Cubs stronger, is bad for us. Yes, this may be horrible for them in years 4, 5, and 6, but now our chances of winning the division in 2018 just blew up in our faces. The Cubs got better, and we still do not have a pitching staff to send us to the next level. Being left with Arrieta, Lynn and Cobb isn't going to cut it. Glad we didn't pay the price it took to get Darvish, but there is no silver lining in this for us and our new WIN NOW strategy.

Hopefully this greases the wheels and deals start happening this week. Arrieta must realize 5/$90M is probably his best chance. No way he gets comparable years and AAV.

Agree with you on the years but it's going to take $20 AAV minimum. Boras won't settle for less.

No way Arrieta signs a 3 year deal. If anything, this just upped his chances of a 5 year deal imo.

It will be really interesting to see what Darvish now does to the rest of the free agents.

Archived