Brewer Fanatic

Darvish to Cubs - 6 yrs/~$126M

owbc

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
How does that impact them in the Harper derby next year?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Please Stearns. Please do not do a reactionary signing.

The thing is though, the Brewers have been in talks with pretty much every pitcher out there so if they sign one it will have been a long process....not reactionary.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Please Stearns. Please do not do a reactionary signing.

100% this

The Brewers have been linked to arrieta Lynn and Cobb. One is very likely coming by here and it won't be a reactionary signing. They wanted darvish but didn't get him but another starting pitcher has always been in the plans

So it is a 6-year deal in the $150 range? I think that is a pretty good deal for the Cubs.

My biggest fear is the Cubs getting Darvish leads to the Brewers getting Arrieta whom I worry does not have much left in the proverbial tank.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

So it is a 6-year deal in the $150 range? I think that is a pretty good deal for the Cubs.

AAV would be $21M guaranteed, and would be $25M per year if incentives are reached. That seems less than I would have expected. So the $90M over 4 years the Cubs fans wasn't too far off, it just went two years further essentially.

Gruber Lawffices

So the $90M over 4 years the Cubs fans wasn't too far off, it just went two years further essentially.

That is really far off. 2 years further for a 30 year old pitcher is a looooonng time.

AAV would be $21M guaranteed, and would be $25M per year if incentives are reached. That seems less than I would have expected. So the $90M over 4 years the Cubs fans wasn't too far off, it just went two years further essentially.

Rosenthal says the $150M is pretty slim since he'd need to win multiple CY Young awards.

Gruber Lawffices

Rosenthal says the $150M is pretty slim since he'd need to win multiple CY Young awards.

I thought the lowest we would possibly see for Darvish was 5-years for $125 million, so this would indeed appear to be a steal.

So the $90M over 4 years the Cubs fans wasn't too far off, it just went two years further essentially.

That is really far off. 2 years further for a 30 year old pitcher is a looooonng time.

I'm obviously talking about the AAV.

Gruber Lawffices

It is reactionary if we settle for what’s out there. Darvish was it. He’s the only rotation changer. The rest aren’t worth the money coming to them. This is a perfect chance to not try to catch the Cubs but to out smart them. Find the deals, not the leftovers.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

You have to think DS always had a plan B ready

We are always on plan B. It’s why we have an empty trophy case.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Six years for him? I'm glad the Brewers didn't do that deal...it seems like Stearns may have been successful in driving up the contract Darvish got. All in all, a strategy that seems to have worked.

The AAV is low enough when spread over the six years, that it doesn’t seem like a bad deal at all.

Archived