Brewer Fanatic

Brandon Phillips (2B)

TURBO

Free agent, why not?

What is his asking price?

He could hold down 2B for a year until Hiura is ready. At 37, no way he is expecting a multi-year deal, right?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Howie Kendrick got 2 years $7 million. Phillips would normally exceed that but idk how many teams are looking to give a 36 year old infielder much more than that. I think a 2 year deal for $12 million would do it. He would be a great guy to have in the clubhouse too. His production sure hasn't fallen off like you might expect.

He just isn't that good at this point where I'd be at all interested in him at 2/12. You'd probably also have to give up Villar for nothing just to free up the roster spot. He isn't the threat on the bases he once was and can't draw a walk. You could probably just make Hernan Perez the everyday 2B and get similar results with a little less average and a little more speed.

So a below average hitter who is now old and is becoming questionable in the field.

Why you would not just role with Villar who has a much higher ceiling and can't possibly be much worse? No chance Phillips is brought in and he is not getting a multi year deal. He is replacement level.

So a below average hitter who is now old and is becoming questionable in the field.

Why you would not just role with Villar who has a much higher ceiling and can't possibly be much worse? No chance Phillips is brought in and he is not getting a multi year deal. He is replacement level.

I'm with you in having no interest with Phillips. If his batting average drops at all, he's largely worthless because he treats taking walks like they come with an STD.

The guy is 36 and was never good at taking walks, but somehow he's managed to get worse in that regard. In 604 at bats last year, he only drew a pathetic 21 walks.

Unless we can get someone like Walker on a reasonable 2yr deal, i'm also fine with giving Villar a chance to bounce back.

Phillips over Villar? Yes Phillips over Sogard/Perez platoon? No

Phillips at 36 was better offensively than Villar at 26 and defensively it's a former 4 time gold glover vs. well, Villar.

I just don't get the love for Villar. He had one good but flawed season (he still led all of baseball with 29 errors and 18 caught stealing) when his BABIP approached an unrepeatable .400. He had done virtually nothing as a Astro prior to that in a full season of AB's spread over 3 years, and nothing in 2017. As a prospect, he appeared in one top 100 list when he hadn't played a game above low A and that just barely #94. He strikes out a ton for a guy with just moderate power. At 27, he is what he is, a guy who at best might rank from 20-25 among major league 2B, and at worst, has negative value.

Phillips could well be done, but he's been one pf the top 2B of his era and he still hit a solid .285 with 13 HR at age 36. On B-R. he projects a .277/.314/.406 line. They could do worse.

Phillips over Villar? Yes Phillips over Sogard/Perez platoon? No

Id take Eric Sogard over Phillips straight up, no platoon. Perez=Phillips=Sogard in my opinion.

I don't think I ever said I loved Villar(I actually like im to bounceback to a solid bat). It is more the fact Brandon Phillips is washed up garbage that is only going to get worse. Living in the past with the gold glove talk.

Archived