Brewer Fanatic

Your favorite off season move so far

MKEguy

What’s your favorite off season move, of any team? Are you looking at the move in terms of value, simple, raw production in 2018 regardless of price or another method?

1) Otani - It’s not like many teams had a chance for this deal. The chances of the Angels for getting amazing value out of this deal is pretty high.

2) Yelich - I’ll admit that I’ve got my homer blinders on. I think Yelich will continue to improve, or at least not regress and will be one of the best OF in the NL. The cost, in terms of prospects, was steep, but I consider Yelich an elite player.

3) Addison Reed to the twinkies. 2/$17M for an excellent bullpen arm. I don’t mind the high yearly salary, when it’s in conjunction with only two years. I like great bullpens.

4) Stanton - simply because he’s a monster and the Yankees added, without a doubt, an elite hitter. I won’t argue those who say the contract isn’t worth it in the end, but the dudes in his prime. The Yankees worry about 5 years from now 5 years from now.

5) Wily Peralta

"There's more people to ignore in New York or in Boston than there are in Milwaukee, but I would still ignore them, probably."

-Zack Greinke

I mean Ohtani seems like the obvious choice here. But ill go ahead and pick something different. I really liked the Cardinals trade for Ozuna & the Twins signing Reed. I think both teams got great value on those moves.

As far as The Crew goes I think an underrated move is the signing of Chacin. I expect 200 quality innings from him.

For me, it's Yelich.

I'm eager to see how the prospects do, and there's a better chance they'll get playing time in Miami. It will tell me how much the Brewers system has improved from a development standpoint. If all 4 guys flame out, that's troubling.

And of course the return is a star player in his prime. Christian Yelich is a top tier player, playing here at age 26.

This is the Sabathia trade, but with a longer contract in return.

I mean Ohtani seems like the obvious choice here. But ill go ahead and pick something different. I really liked the Cardinals trade for Ozuna & the Twins signing Reed. I think both teams got great value on those moves.

As far as The Crew goes I think an underrated move is the signing of Chacin. I expect 200 quality innings from him.

Why would you expect Chacin to throw 200 innings when he never has?

I won’t argue with the two posters above who picked Ohtani but I just think it is SO difficult to know how international talent plays in MLB. Not saying he won’t be the next Ichiro but also not willing to bet against him being a bit overhyped either.

Why would you expect Chacin to throw 200 innings when he never has?

His only 3 seasons where he has a full season worth of starts he has pitched 197, 194, & 180 innings. Maybe he doesn't hit the 200 mark but I think he throws 190ish quality innings this season. I might have exaggerated slightly.

I think it's Yelich because I suspect that Stearns and company expect Brinson to be a failed prospect. Even if Monte Harrison turns into Michael Brantley, the value added in Yelich via trade is basically unheard of.

The biggest value signings are probably Todd Frazier by the Mets and, potentially, the Cain signing. If Cain ages well he could easily outperform Stanton over the next five years, no joke.

At the beginning of the offseason, I would've thought trading for Yelich was a little nutty.

At this point, I'd say it's my favorite move of the offseason, at least for the Brewers (I think a team that can afford Stanton like the Yankees getting him for essentially just his salary was probably the best move, and the Angels signing Ohtani was more just kinda logic than a good move, not sure he was going anywhere else).

He's kinda scarily underrated, even now with all the attention on him after the trade. He'll really boost our OF defense and could be a very special bat at Miller Park too. Added to the fact that he's under reasonably cheap control for 5 years, and we basically gave up depth to get him (I'd rather have a proven Yelich over Brinson or Harrison, and Hiura over Diaz), and the deal kinda looks like a slam dunk for the Brewers.

Archived