Brewer Fanatic

WI Resident Only Presale of Cubs Game Tickets

Bombers
A solid home field and vocal crowd can lead to a team playing shoddy defense, if home crowds meant nothing, then how come it is the biggest reward given to a first place team in all sports. If We were playing the Reds or Padres today, maybe those errors aren't made, maybe they are, but a overly vocal anti brewer crowd can have an effect on gameplay

No crowd noise definitely would have led Shaw to not playing the ball on an in between hop and Thames to let the ball just go to Villar. Wait, no it wouldn't have. Do you honestly think the player's are going "I hope Cubs fans aren't too loud on these softly hit ground balls so that I don't make an error?"

We were 8-1 against the Cubs at Miller Park in 2011 and there were plenty of Cubs fans there that year. We were good, the Cubs were bad. We had pretty much the same record as them in 2009 (we were 80-82, they were 83-78), we went 4-5 against them. We managed to go 6-3 against them in 2016 despite finishing 30.5 games behind them in the standings and there were plenty of Cubs fans there that year.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My point is that Milwaukee may be at a unique disadvantage by to a degree having to play 81 full on road games and 9 more semi road games. All teams at all levels and all sports can have a game where crowd noise and momentum and such caused by the crowd dynamic can lead to them making mistakes. my point is that Milwaukee shouldn't have to play 9 extra ones than other teams.

If the Brewers are that concerned about it and it's affecting the players that much (it's not), then they need to give away free tickets to Brewers fans. Simple as that. They're not going to do that though, because that would be stupid.

Evidently many years of large vocal crowds making noise has never affected play on the fieid.

How much noise were Cubs fans making on those two ground balls? Almost none. You know why? Because they probably thought the first one was going to be a game ending double play and the second one they would get at least an out. They didn't start making noise until after Shaw and Thames screwed up. I love the condensed games that MLB puts on YouTube because it's just crowd noise, no announcers. Watch the 9th inning and tell me how affected you think the players were by Cubs fans making noise as those plays were happening.

So to be clear, home field bears no advantage at all??

Of course it does. The demographics also are what they are, and they're not moving us to a different division just because we don't like how many Cub fans show up at Miller Park.

I can appreciate that they tried to do something about it, but it was pretty futile.

They can stop jacking up the prices on their home fans for these and stop doing dumb Illinois friendly things like having Charles Tillman throw out the first pitch. That's about it.

It’s not the higher ticket prices keeping the Brewer fans out of the games — it’s the terrible environment. I actually hope they keep raising the ticket prices and parking for these games. If their fans are going to invade Miller Park, might as well bleed them dry.

It’s not the higher ticket prices keeping the Brewer fans out of the games — it’s the terrible environment. I actually hope they keep raising the ticket prices and parking for these games. If their fans are going to invade Miller Park, might as well bleed them dry.

I have the choice of paying twice as much and having to deal with Cubs fans, or not doing either of those things.

The choice is an easy one

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Exactly. I won’t go to a Cubs game unless it’s a meaningful late season game.

The Brewers should charge $50 for parking and $75 a ticket for a Terrace seat for the Saturday Cubs games. Bleed em dry.

Maybe we're going about this all wrong. Jack up the rates for these games beyond any other rate in baseball, bleed them dry, and use the excess money on a free agent ace.

What makes this whole situation worse is how the Cubs telecasts play up the invasion of Cub fans. The director constantly is showing shots of the crowd showing only people in Cubs gear. The telecasts constantly talk about it. Yesterday they must have shown the guy with the "Wrigley Field North" sign 3 or 4 times and they had the crowd mike level so high you could not hear Len Kasper talk. It's been made into basically a 3 hour infomercial with the message "look Cub fans how much fun it is to drive to Milwaukee and drown out the Brewer fans". Attanasio should take it up with the commissioner quietly. It's upsetting one fan base to promote another. That's not good for the game. I'm sure there's tons of Dodger fans who go to San Diego. But I don't see Dodger telecasts loaded with shots of their fans whooping it up. Trust me these Cub fans in Miller Park know they are being shown on camera and they whoop it up much more than they do at their home park.

I brought this up with a Cub fan last summer that Brewer fans stay away from Miller Park because they can't stand the obnoxious Cub fans filling their park. He was stunned and basically said "What Brewer fans don't love the Cubs too?"

I find Cub fans at Wrigley much less obnoxious than those that go to Miller Park. That's in part because they aren't the focus. In Milwaukee they are.

Yeah, the issue is just that it is not any fun to play these games. It's great when visiting fans travel and interact, but fan etiquette says you shouldn't jump around and throw it in your section's face when your visitors do something great. Cubs people do that way too much because of this aura of lovability, and it makes everything feel antagonistic and competitive and personal, and it shouldn't be.

So to be clear, home field bears no advantage at all??

The real home field advantage is seeing your family, sleeping in your own bed and eating breakfast in your kitchen, as well as just being familiar with the stadium and surroundings for most of the year, not crowd noise, especially in baseball, when the crowd is silent 95% of most games wherever it is.

I'll agree with you there, would much rather go to a Cubs Brewers game at Wrigley than Miller Park. It seems like a completely different fan base where they are having more fun and not as nasty.

It is a different fan base because the great majority of the ones at Miller Park can't afford Wrigley.

I'll agree with you there, would much rather go to a Cubs Brewers game at Wrigley than Miller Park. It seems like a completely different fan base where they are having more fun and not as nasty.

It is a different fan base because the great majority of the ones at Miller Park can't afford Wrigley.

Disagree with this entirely... prices are just a little more at Wrigley. Fans at Miller are liquored up way more.

Go look at the price for tickets to a Saturday game when the Braves come to Wrigley...that is way more than even our inflated prices. For premium seats, WAY cheaper. Add in other costs to go to a game and it is easy to see why they avoid their own stadium like the plague. That is what is funny. They brag about invading Miller Park...but no one mentions how much they hate their own teams stadium. Be real proud there Cubs.

I think we need a little perspective related to one of the reasons the Brewers jumped at the chance to move from the AL to NL in the late 90's only a few years after the last labor strike - their proximity to Chicago and the Cubs meant they knew ticket revenues/attendance were going to increase by having them in their division and getting ~8-10 home games that stood a good chance of being much larger draws than normal. Cub fans show up in droves at every park across baseball - it's just more pronounced in Milwaukee because as others have correctly posted, alot of Chicago's suburbia actually has a much easier time getting to Miller Park than Wrigley.

The Brewers also never had this sort of rivalry with the White Sox even if there were periods of bad blood between the teams, because the older AL division splits had the Brewers in the AL east and the Sox in the AL West. Those two teams only shared the AL Central division for a few years in the mid-90's, which occurred when both teams were really bad. Plus, the White Sox struggle to draw at their own stadium in Chicago because their fan base is much smaller even in their home town.

If it weren't for the Brewers moving to the NL and getting approval for building Miller Park, both of which happened around the same time - it's very likely they would've been the AL team up for contraction or relocation with the Expos instead of the Twins. The Twins came very close to being contracted/relocated themselves. In short, Selig and Brewers' brass brought the Cub fan invasions on the organization themselves because they were counting on it to help provide increased revenues in order to sustain a franchise in what is one of MLB's 5 smallest markets no matter how you look at it. To me, it's more of a necessary evil to still have the team I rooted for all my life in the town I grew up watching them in. Plus, it's a great revenue stream for the State Highway Patrol! Heck, when I was in college in Chicago I remember Cub TV broadcasts having Selig and members of the Brewers' PR staff early on selling Cub fans on making the trip up to Miller Park soon after it opened.

Go look at the price for tickets to a Saturday game when the Braves come to Wrigley...that is way more than even our inflated prices. For premium seats, WAY cheaper. Add in other costs to go to a game and it is easy to see why they avoid their own stadium like the plague. That is what is funny. They brag about invading Miller Park...but no one mentions how much they hate their own teams stadium. Be real proud there Cubs.

Wrigley for all the money they are spending is still a dump and very hard to get to for fans in the suburbs but they don't admit it. There's 15 rows of seats in the lower deck where if you're lucky enough to not be behind a pole, you still can't see popups and high flyballs at their apex.

Maybe the Brewers should offer substantial rebates to season ticket holders who can prove they used their tickets for the Cub series and reduce the incentive to resell them. At least that would keep them out of the premium seats in the lower level.

~38K, ~43K, and ~39K for Fri/Sat/Sun games based on paid attendance. For a non-opening day weekend series early in the year, that's impressive. Especially when considering the generally crummy weather this spring (doesn't impact the game with a domed stadium, but definitely impacts travel and tailgating plans)

Their early April weekend series against the defending WS title Cubs drew ~28K, ~43K, and ~38K last year.

in 2016, their early April weekend series against the Astros drew ~30K, ~28K, and ~28K...so adding the Cubs to the schedule is a significant attendance boost, even for the weekend games.

Didn't the Brewers request weekday/weeknight home series against the Cubs around 7 to 10 years ago? That would make a lot of sense now too since we get 30 to 40 for most Friday/Weekend games.

Also, Cubs fans come up in droves when these things occur:

Weekend Series

Cubs are a Probable Playoff team

Summer

That summer part is what was lacking this series. If the weather was in the 70's this past weekend, we would have seen 40 plus on Friday and 43 plus at the Sat. and Sun. games.

The next two Cubs home series are in June and September. Both are weekday/night games. That will keep Cub attendance down somewhat. School is just finishing up with the June series, and kids are back in school for the September series, as well.

More than anything, Brewers fans have to keep battlling and getting to these games. It is easy to not go and stay away from these miserable people, but really the team needs more and more Brewers fans to get in the park. I hope the front office looks to reward Brewers season ticket holders who actually use their tickets or pass them on to other Brewers fans.

I think the Cubs fan thing is overblown a bit. I have been to numerous Packers-Bears and Brewers-Cubs games and while it is a little bit rowdier, it's never to the point where it has gotten out of control. Just my two cents but most times if you are nice and respectful to those around you at these events, it is reciprocated.

Fans brawl in upper deck at Miller Park during Friday's Brewers-Cubs game

https://jsonl.in/2GIFGBp

Can confirm it is the Brewers fan who was the instigator here. I know who the Rodgers jersey doned fellow is and have seen videos taken before this....he said, "No I won't stop and yah I am looking for a fight."

• 3 weeks later...

Archived