Brewer Fanatic

WI Resident Only Presale of Cubs Game Tickets

Bombers

I truly do feel there is an unfair strategic disadvantage for Milwaukee regarding this. The Brewers draw well, heck last year they drew more than the world series champions by about 1000 a game. So, the argument can't be made that Brewer fans don't show up.

This is the disadvantage: We are the only team who has a divisional rival who's population and fan pool is exponentially bigger than ours and said divisional rival is 90 miles away. It really does cause The Brewers to lose 9 or 10 home field advantages a year. Cubs fans have a higher availability of funds as well to be willing to spend the extra to see them play.

I think the best solution is to Move the cubs or brewers into different divisions. No other team has to deal with that kind of dynamic.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just be a good fan. Selling to the enemy is obviously not a good thing. If you need to supplement season tickets by ripping off Cubs fans, just get a smaller package or buy individual tickets. Let another Brewers fan have a chance at the seats.

The 10 pack is so much worse than the 20 pack in terms of everything you get that this isn't a very good option.

I can't make it to 20 games, but I love the SSH perks and playoff tickets when they do make it. If they offered a 10 pack that offered what the 20 does, I'd get that instead.

Until then the Cub fans are subsidizing it for me. I suppose I don't know who's buying them but I assume it's them.

It's really kind of a tired topic imo. People can do what they want with their own tickets. Not even sure more Brewers buyers will make a difference. You'll have tons of Milwaukeeans selling when they see a ticket in the terrace selling for $65.

Not so fun fact:

The home team has one no-hitter in the history of Miller Park. The Cubs threw it.

Up until this year it felt like we almost catered to Cub fans at Miller Park. For crying out loud, Charles Tillman threw out a first pitch here.

I truly do feel there is an unfair strategic disadvantage for Milwaukee regarding this. The Brewers draw well, heck last year they drew more than the world series champions by about 1000 a game. So, the argument can't be made that Brewer fans don't show up.

This is the disadvantage: We are the only team who has a divisional rival who's population and fan pool is exponentially bigger than ours and said divisional rival is 90 miles away. It really does cause The Brewers to lose 9 or 10 home field advantages a year. Cubs fans have a higher availability of funds as well to be willing to spend the extra to see them play.

I think the best solution is to Move the cubs or brewers into different divisions. No other team has to deal with that kind of dynamic.

I would be interested in a market size realignment the next time one happens. Seems worth discussing at least. Milwaukee, Pitt, Cincy, MN, and KC would be an awesome division. Throw in Colorado, Cleveland, and Detroit or the White Sox if you want 8-team divisions.

Just be a good fan. Selling to the enemy is obviously not a good thing. If you need to supplement season tickets by ripping off Cubs fans, just get a smaller package or buy individual tickets. Let another Brewers fan have a chance at the seats.

The 10 pack is so much worse than the 20 pack in terms of everything you get that this isn't a very good option.

I can't make it to 20 games, but I love the SSH perks and playoff tickets when they do make it. If they offered a 10 pack that offered what the 20 does, I'd get that instead.

Until then the Cub fans are subsidizing it for me. I suppose I don't know who's buying them but I assume it's them.

It's really kind of a tired topic imo. People can do what they want with their own tickets. Not even sure more Brewers buyers will make a difference. You'll have tons of Milwaukeeans selling when they see a ticket in the terrace selling for $65.

Freedom to do it doesn't make it right, although I'm sure you will have more money to buy and then sell more Cubs tickets. Imagine all the cash if the Brewers played the Cubs in the playoffs!

Again, if I would sell my tickets to the clear cut division enemy, I would consider myself a complete sell out, especially after games like this one. The large portion of Brewers fans at the game today have no warm feelings for sell outs.

I would consider myself a complete sell out

Good for you. And some people don't and you don't get to tell people if they're sell outs or not because you don't like what they do with their property.

Tickets to your favorite team should not be seen as a profitable investment, it goes against everything that sports should be about and fandom. I'm as free market and capitalisti as they come, but the sports world is different. If you are a Brewers fan and have Cubs tickets, seriously don't sell them out of respect for long suffering fans who hated days like today.

I think it's quite possible that the lack of home field advantage today cost us a game.

It put more pressure on our home team when the fans are yelling and screaming as if they were the road team.

Tickets to your favorite team should not be seen as a profitable investment

Turn that around on the Brewers then. Have them give away free tickets to Brewers fans against the Cubs with the understanding that if they sell those tickets or give them away to Cubs fans, they are banned for life.

If they're that concerned with Cubs fans showing up they should have no problem doing it.

I'd be totally fine with giving the tickets away, that's always a good idea anyways for any business.

Other ideas could be only scheduling Cub series in April May and September during the week as opposed to weekends

The Packers are in the same division as the Bears, so why is Lambeau Field not infested with Bear fans every year? (And yes I know they're there, but nowhere near the degree of Cub fans at MP).

So is the extra 90 minute drive really stopping them? No, it's because the Bears are generally irrelevant and the Packers are generally good.

The Padres also deal with this proximity and marlet difference with the Dodgers, the answer is to get better, not run to a different division.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I get the sense there are a lot of Brewer fans who would be willing to step up and pay a premium price to keep Cubs fans from Miller Park. I am sure if you have tickets for Cubs games you aren't going to use there are plenty of true fans here willing to step up and buy your tickets at premium prices. It sounds like a win-win to me.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

It would not matter if the Brewers got better, there are now and will naturally always be more Cubs fans. No matter who's good or who's bad, there will always be a large amount of Cubs fans in mp

I get the sense there are a lot of Brewer fans who would be willing to step up and pay a premium price to keep Cubs fans from Miller Park. I am sure if you have tickets for Cubs games you aren't going to use there are plenty of true fans here willing to step up and buy your tickets at premium prices. It sounds like a win-win to me.

Yeah everyone wants to avoid selling to Cub fans and buy from other Brewer fans in a theoretical and hypothetical world. Until it's your money and you need to fork down $500 for a few marquee seats, or until it's your tickets that you need to get rid of by Tuesday and you have a buyer for over face value and you're far too busy to deal with anything other than collecting the money for it.

I'm not saying this applies to anyone here, I'm just saying, what one believes they might do may not always coincide with what they would do in practice.

And the marquee pricing makes it worse, not better. I guarantee you already have people avoiding going to Brewer/Cub games at Miller Park because the atmosphere stinks because you go to a game hoping to enjoy it with other Brewer fans and instead get stuck in a section with all Cub fans. Now tack on the fact that you just paid an extra 50 bucks more than usual for this "experience" and it's no wonder Cub fans have taken over Miller Park.

It would not matter if the Brewers got better, there are now and will naturally always be more Cubs fans. No matter who's good or who's bad, there will always be a large amount of Cubs fans in mp

Watch some Brewer/Cubs games from 2014 when the Brewers were good and the Cubs stunk. Full, but not always sold out crowds, and not nearly the ratio of Cubs to Brewer fans as we have now.

The Packers comparison is nowhere near equivalency because they are one of the most iconic franchises in American sports. The Brewers aren't in the same stratosphere.

I think it is very weird how seriously this is taken by some people here. It's a baseball game...sorry to say it but if I had tickets to every playoff game agaisnt the Cubs I'd likely attend 1 and sell the rest.

You guys don't own a monopoly on what "sports is supposed to be about," you're mouthing off about a bunch of froo-froo nonsense. The guys on the field are from all over the place and earn more in an at bat than most of us do in a year.

Because there are five guys on this forum in love with the idea of keeping Cubs fans out of Miller Park doesn't mean that's a representative sample. If there were that many "willing to pay a premium" this wouldn't be an issue because the place would be full of Brewers fans.

This is how it will always be unless the Brewers are 80-50 and the Cubs are 50-80. It's simply about the demographics.

Only schedule the Cubs during the week for three months? To keep their fans out and decrease revenue? That sounds like an idea sourced from a second grade classroom. The level this bothers some of you just screams inferiority complex. Just let it go.

Tickets to your favorite team should not be seen as a profitable investment, it goes against everything that sports should be about and fandom. I'm as free market and capitalisti as they come, but the sports world is different. If you are a Brewers fan and have Cubs tickets, seriously don't sell them out of respect for long suffering fans who hated days like today.

I think it's quite possible that the lack of home field advantage today cost us a game.

It put more pressure on our home team when the fans are yelling and screaming as if they were the road team.

You're not as free market as they come, clearly, and no, shoddy high school quality defense cost them the game, not the extra fat guys in row 8 wearing blue.

A solid home field and vocal crowd can lead to a team playing shoddy defense, if home crowds meant nothing, then how come it is the biggest reward given to a first place team in all sports. If We were playing the Reds or Padres today, maybe those errors aren't made, maybe they are, but a overly vocal anti brewer crowd can have an effect on gameplay

Sounds like a team that would fold in the playoffs then anyways if some crowd noise is bothering them in game nine.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

My point is that Milwaukee may be at a unique disadvantage by to a degree having to play 81 full on road games and 9 more semi road games. All teams at all levels and all sports can have a game where crowd noise and momentum and such caused by the crowd dynamic can lead to them making mistakes. my point is that Milwaukee shouldn't have to play 9 extra ones than other teams.

And the marquee pricing makes it worse, not better. I guarantee you already have people avoiding going to Brewer/Cub games at Miller Park because the atmosphere stinks because you go to a game hoping to enjoy it with other Brewer fans and instead get stuck in a section with all Cub fans. Now tack on the fact that you just paid an extra 50 bucks more than usual for this "experience" and it's no wonder Cub fans have taken over Miller Park.

Exactly. And even with the marquee pricing, it's still a huge discount to what Cubs fans are paying at Wrigley Field (not to mention a lot less hassle and the comfort of playing indoors).

Let's face it, as long as the Cubs are good their fans will invade Miller Park. This only thing this "Wisconsin only ticket sale" did was give Cub fans added incentive to find ways to get tickets and make the Brewers look stupid. I can say that being on the other side of these situations (as a Badger fan that invades Minneapolis), seeing the opponent try to make it more difficult for opposing fans to attend only makes it more satisfying to see your team's colors saturating the stadium.

Archived