Brewer Fanatic

WI Resident Only Presale of Cubs Game Tickets

Bombers
I'd argue that scalping is bad regardless of how you justify it. If you're not planning to attend a game, just don't buy the tickets. If you have to sell them because you can't or don't want to attend, sell at face value.

Why would a person do that? If you could get $500 each for $100 seats you'd sell them for $100?

Just being a nice person I guess? I sell tickets for face for concerts/sports because I don't like making the effort to rip people off for a profit on something I had no part in creating.

I suppose if you bought a house you'd sell it at the original purchase price because you didn't build it and you're a nice person.

It doesn't make any logical sense. Selling above face doesn't make one an un-nice person. You bought something that everyone had a chance to buy and its value has increased. You own the rights to it. When a broker uses a machine to buy 1000 tickets at once it is a different story.

Have you ever bought a ticket below face on StubHub? You should probably mail the seller the difference because that would be a nice person thing to do.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It doesn't make any logical sense. Selling above face doesn't make one an un-nice person. You bought something that everyone had a chance to buy and its value has increased. You own the rights to it. When a broker uses a machine to buy 1000 tickets at once it is a different story.

The hawing household has yet to sell tickets to anything for more than we paid for them. To me it feels like a small way to share wealth. Your mileage may and can vary.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

The hawing household has yet to sell tickets to anything for more than we paid for them. To me it feels like a small way to share wealth. Your mileage may and can vary.

Hawing, that’s great that you’re able and willing to do that. But someone who talks down to others for using the market as their selling point is a bit much. Not saying that’s you but there’s plenty of it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think this actually will decrease the # of Brewer fans going to these games, because more Cub fans who live in WI will take advantage of this resident presale.

The Nashville Predators have this mentality when trying to keep Chicago Blackhawk fans out of their stadium during hockey games - they end up just drawing attention to their pointless infatuation with keeping another team's fans who are willing to pay more for tickets out, and more Chicago fans show up than if they had never tried to "fix" a non existent issue.

Call me crazy, but once somebody owns tickets I could care less about what they do with them - use them, sell them on a secondary market for more than what they paid, donate them to charity, heck even forget about them and wind up having the seats sit bare on gameday...to each their own.

I look at it as not blaming Cub or Brewer fans - blame the dregs from both fanbases who want to go to this game with the sole intention of fighting with each other instead of enjoying a dang baseball game.

Are they actually doing the demand pricing for this presage? $100 for FDB and $58 for field level seems like a normal price?

I thought prices to some of these Cub games were way higher last year.

Look at the weekend games, notably Saturday the 7th. Prices are a bit higher, and when I logged in yesterday they didn't have very good options remaining.

I'd argue that scalping is bad regardless of how you justify it. If you're not planning to attend a game, just don't buy the tickets. If you have to sell them because you can't or don't want to attend, sell at face value.

Why would a person do that? If you could get $500 each for $100 seats you'd sell them for $100?

Just being a nice person I guess? I sell tickets for face for concerts/sports because I don't like making the effort to rip people off for a profit on something I had no part in creating.

You have a right to feel the way you feel about this. But to imply someone isn't "nice" because they want to sell tickets for market value is a bridge too far.

If you were fortunate enough to buy a Super Bowl ticket for face value (say $1,000) and you had the chance to sell it for $5,000 you wouldn't do that?

Got Brewers/Cubs tickets this morning at 9:05- 1st row of bleachers for game in June. Seats were $24 each-$27.50 with all fees. Parking was $12- $14 with convenience charge. I probably would not have gotten as nice a seat if competing with Illinois, as well. No way would this have been possible when standing in line for an hour at Arctic Tailgate! Kudos to the Brewers for doing this! Not selling them, and proud of it. You can't be much of a Brewers fan when selling to the hated rival, imo..... might as well being wearing another team's hat (wink, wink).

I hope a few more Brewers fans are there (with nicer seats) this year to support the team. Isn't that what it's all about?

You can't be a Brewers fan because you sold your tickets to a Cubs fan? That kind of stuff is just childish dribble. I would sell NFCCG tickets to a Bears fan if they were willing to pay a stupid price for them. It's like you guys think it's selling them the playbook or something.

Agreed. Trust me when I say that the 2016 World Series appearance was a windfall to the Tribe organization and the NE Ohio area and fanbase.

The Cubs fans were paying crazy dollars to get a seat (any seat) for games 1, 2, and 6. Those payments went into orbit for game 7.

You can't be a Brewers fan because you sold your tickets to a Cubs fan? That kind of stuff is just childish dribble. I would sell NFCCG tickets to a Bears fan if they were willing to pay a stupid price for them. It's like you guys think it's selling them the playbook or something.

Not the playbook.... more like a part of your soul

Ya, I kind of think this going to bring more attention to the cubs fans, and make more of them want to come. It will also give them more to talk trash about, which we know they love. Soooo, I don't think this was a good move.

As for selling the tickets, I think each person can do as they please. It really shouldn't bother other people.

If any season ticket holders want to sell their Cubs series tickets, I'm going to be looking for 3 tickets the the June 12th and 13th games. Not willing to pay "Cubs fan" prices though.

A couple of high school friends and I will be taking in the series, then heading to both Chicago stadiums for non Brewer games. Following that with a trip to Kane County to see the Timber Rattlers on the road...

Why not just order them yourself? This isn’t exclusive season ticket holders. Are you not a Wisconsin resident?

If any season ticket holders want to sell their Cubs series tickets, I'm going to be looking for 3 tickets the the June 12th and 13th games. Not willing to pay "Cubs fan" prices though.

A couple of high school friends and I will be taking in the series, then heading to both Chicago stadiums for non Brewer games. Following that with a trip to Kane County to see the Timber Rattlers on the road...

Why not just order them yourself? This isn’t exclusive season ticket holders. Are you not a Wisconsin resident?

Won't have any effect and is pretty much a dumb idea...since it's likely a good number of cub fans going to these games are WI residents anyways

Agreed. Its not like someone couldnt borrow an ID or address from a friend if they absolutely had to. Even so, tickets are not hard to come by. Deals for toise in the 5 county area or WI residents is not a new idea. Most of all, it backfires for Brewer fans out of state trying to plan ahead for a trip. If you live in WI, there is little reason to buy ahead.

I'm one of those Cubs fans who recently moved from Denver to Iola, WI. I'm certainly not one of those anti-Brewers fans. I want them to do well. My nephew is in medical school in Milwaukee and he's a big Brewers fans. I will definitely come for Cubs games, but I'll still make some trips to Miller Park when the Brewers face other teams.

The Brewers have made some major player commitments and with all of the young guys coming along they should be very good this year. Clearly the Brewers and Cubs are a step above everyone else in the division right now.

I did think some of the Cubs fan complaints about the pre-sale were lame. I did buy some for two of the games but I'm old and not very boisterous, so you won't even notice I'm there. I will enjoy a couple of brats though. :)

As far as the social media is concerned, the Cubs tweeted... that their tickets are open for everyone... but they neglected to say that open sale starts almost a week later than the Brewers open sale does. :)

The Rockies have all games available to open sale except...Opening Day (4/6), Chicago Cubs (4/20-22) and Summer Fireworks (7/3-4) will go on-sale the week of February 12.

Only season ticket holders can buy now.

It makes perfect sense for team to at least try to favor their own fans whose repeat business keeps them going.

Now which pitcher are the Brewers going to sign? If the could get Cashner on a one year deal, that might be very good for them. In this free agent market it's perfect time to look for one year players that can fill weak spots with long term commitments.

• 1 month later...

Well, this whole thing was s total failure of an idea for someone.

It's bad enough to have your home stadium infested by opposing fans, but it's even more embarrassing when you made a very public effort to drive them out.

The only way to take back Miller Park is to put a better product on the field than the Cubs. Period.

There will always be lots of Cubs fans at Miller Park (as long as they're a good team). There's no getting around that. It would be nice if the Brewers could string together a bunch of wins against them at home so their fans would pipe down a bit at least. Get 3 beers in any of these North Burbs fans and they're ready to berate your grandmother for wearing Brewers blue and tell you how superior their city is while threatening to fight you if you ignore them and try to focus on the game.

It's bad enough to have your home stadium infested by opposing fans, but it's even more embarrassing when you made a very public effort to drive them out.

The only way to take back Miller Park is to put a better product on the field than the Cubs. Period.

So what you're saying is we should lose another one about 8-0 with 3-4 hits again today.

The problem is demographics. The Chicago metro population is estimated to be 9.5 million people. Many of those are within 90 minutes of Miller Park. A significant amount are within an hour and closer by time than to Wrigley Field. Sure about a third of baseball fans in the area are Sox fans, but that's still a lot of people. I've long felt Brewers should have lobbied to be able market their team to Lake County, Illinois residents, but that is defined by the game as Cubs and Sox territory. Forget luxury tax, let the Brewers games be seen in Waukegan and Libertyville.

The problem is demographics. The Chicago metro population is estimated to be 9.5 million people. Many of those are within 90 minutes of Miller Park. A significant amount are within an hour and closer by time than to Wrigley Field.

Exactly.

Yes, the Cubs have a strong fanbase. But they aren't at Miller Park in droves because of the quality of their fanhood, no matter how much they want to drunkenly yell at you about it.

There are lots of Cubs fans at Miller Park because Chicago has 5-6 times the population of Milwaukee, and it's really easy for them to get here. That's it.

If there were 10 million people in Milwaukee and 1.5 in Chicago it would be the other way around. It has nothing to do with bad Brewers fans or great Cubs fans. We are just unlucky to be situated so close to millions of blowhards.

I am not Shea Vucinich

I think its the ticket prices to be honest. A friend of mine called me this morning and he wanted to go to the game. I knew it would be close to a full house, so I checked the 400 level to see what was available. We found 4 seats together. $50 a ticket. No thanks.

Archived