Brewer Fanatic

WI Resident Only Presale of Cubs Game Tickets

Bombers

https://brewers.mlblogs.com/wisconsin-residents-presale-opportunity-begins-tomorrow-9a746c91d8cb

Even though some Brewers fans will buy and in turn sell them, for those that want to go to the game, at least get the first crack at the better seats. Will be interesting to see how much of an effect this will have. Ultimately the success vs non success of each team plays the ultimate role, but this may help a little bit

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I appreciate that they are making an effort, but it isn't going to mean a hill of beans if they don't put a winning product on the field. Win, and you won't have to deal with Wrigley North.

I'm not a big fan of the cutesy social media marketing crap this team likes to pull. I'm sure all teams do the same type of things, but it doesn't stop it from being annoying.

Won't have any effect and is pretty much a dumb idea...since it's likely a good number of cub fans going to these games are WI residents anyways

100% this. Fans who already wanted to go to Cubs games were going to go, presale or not. There are a ton of Cubs fans in Wisconsin, they will also be able to get presale tickets. People who don't want to go to these games will just buy these tickets and then put them on craigslist or stubhub or whatever and they'll go to the highest bidders, likely Cubs fans.

The Brewers twitter account seems completely obsessed with the Cubs lately which is embarrassing.

Won't have any effect and is pretty much a dumb idea...since it's likely a good number of cub fans going to these games are WI residents anyways

100% this. Fans who already wanted to go to Cubs games were going to go, presale or not. There are a ton of Cubs fans in Wisconsin, they will also be able to get presale tickets. People who don't want to go to these games will just buy these tickets and then put them on craigslist or stubhub or whatever and they'll go to the highest bidders, likely Cubs fans.

The Brewers twitter account seems completely obsessed with the Cubs lately which is embarrassing.

I disagree that it wont have any affect. Well I guess it depends on what you mean by affect. To me even if a couple hundred extra Brewers fans end up at Miller Park it's a success. I went to the Cubs / Brewers games last September and they were fantastic. Just an amazing time / great camaraderie / great atmosphere.

We have dialoged about Cubs fans at Miller Park in many posts on this board but I still agree with the thought that it won't ever really change unless the Brewers are really successful and fans would rather watch the product on the field than make a few bucks. I am glad the Brewers are trying to do something. That September series starting on labor day could be awesome again this year. I may buy a few tickets in this presale to get them at normal cost vs the high markup to get them last year. And my two cents if you go to the Cubs games is upgrade to the 100 or 200 level. I normally have a fine time in those seats when at a Cubs game. It's the 400 level where I have had and see more problems than I can count.

With this and the changes they made to the special days at Miller Park it makes me think someone new took over their marketing department.

I like this move, if only to trigger Cubs fans’ self-congratulatory bewilderment that their metro area that is 6 times larger than Milwaukee’s contains enough people willing to drive 50 minutes from their Grayslake homes who would rather watch a game in a nice, modern stadium than in an old dump.

Great! Can't wait to buy my 8 tickets and sell them to some dumb Cubs fan for double the price.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I expect to get torched for this but I'm ok with it...

I am a partial-season ticket holder. I buy up a lot of these games, then unload all my tickets to what I assume are Cubs fans, unless it is a very meaningful game late in the year.

1. MP stinks for these games. Loud, drunken idiots, many of whom are looking for a fight, yelling at you for no reason besides your Brewers hat. I don't care if they fill the stadium, they are just a certain brand of obnoxious. Traffic in and out is horrendous.

2. It pays for my season tickets. There have been years I've had a net positive on the package because I sold all these games. Why wouldn't you do that? It's just the smart thing to do.

The issue is moot if the Brewers win 90 games.

Ehhh, ask a sales rep about that. The Brewers are much better off with people committing to that many purchases year in and year out. I'm never making it to 40 games and give away a lot of tickets, but I still want the playoff priority and the 40 packs are given seniority above the 20s, in addition to all the other cool perks of being a SSH.

As long as there are Cubs fans subsidizing season tickets you're going to have people doing that.

Also, I'm not "justifying" my scalping, just pointing out that I hate going to MP for these games. I don't need to justify anything, since it is merely the market at work. I've never gone to Lambeau Field at face value and I've never felt like a victim because of it.

I've attended more games at a cheaper value than games at a more expensive price because the market determines what it is. I don't feel bad when I pay half of what the ticket is worth when I get those deals just like the seller doesn't feel bad when they get twice the value of the ticket on other games.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Ehhh, ask a sales rep about that. The Brewers are much better off with people committing to that many purchases year in and year out. I'm never making it to 40 games and give away a lot of tickets, but I still want the playoff priority and the 40 packs are given seniority above the 20s, in addition to all the other cool perks of being a SSH.

As long as there are Cubs fans subsidizing season tickets you're going to have people doing that.

Also, I'm not "justifying" my scalping, just pointing out that I hate going to MP for these games. I don't need to justify anything, since it is merely the market at work. I've never gone to Lambeau Field at face value and I've never felt like a victim because of it.

I do the same thing, I've gone to some of these Cubs games and seen numerous fights...some with pretty ugly results. There's just something wrong with people that live in that area(we call them FIBs for a reason), I'd rather sell my tickets to those games to subsidize my 20 pack. I also know a guy who works for the Brewers who said the exact same thing, they would prefer someone buy a 20 pack and sell 6-8 games as it is still good for the Brewers. Also, logic says they wouldn't provide a link and make selling on stubhub as seamless as they do if they looked down upon the practice. This WI only idea should at least give more WI people a chance to purchase that are actually going to attend, and should force more Cubs fans to pay more and buy from 3rd party sites. I don't understand how forcing Cubs fans to pay more to come to Miller Park is a bad thing, it doesn't matter who gets the money.

As the above poster noted, I would never sell tickets to meaningful September games. Last September I attended the Cubs home games I had instead of selling, which reinforced for the umpteenth time my opinion about Cubs fans...but I at least felt like I did my small part in keeping some Cubs fans out for the meaningful games.

I think the Cubs fan thing is overblown a bit. I have been to numerous Packers-Bears and Brewers-Cubs games and while it is a little bit rowdier, it's never to the point where it has gotten out of control. Just my two cents but most times if you are nice and respectful to those around you at these events, it is reciprocated.

I've seen some horrific stuff at Brewers/Cubs games. No other opponent brings MP down to the level I have seen. I've had to duck out of the way of sprinting drunks hurling fists at each other multiple times. You couldn't get me farther away from the place when these two play, especially on a weekend.

If one of their fans is paying $200 for my $40 seat it's a win-win. I'm subsidized and don't have to be there.

It happens at Lambeau too, but they are far outnumbered there.

I'm fine with all of it.

The Brewers are going to sell those tickets regardless, so all the better if locals get first crack at them. If some or even most end up on Seat Geek, then so be it. And if people end up selling them at face value, or eating them, that's fine, too.

We are always going to have visiting fans in the stands, just as we're going to travel to see the Brewers. Just behave in a mature and friendly manner and enjoy the rivalry.

I think the Cubs fan thing is overblown a bit. I have been to numerous Packers-Bears and Brewers-Cubs games and while it is a little bit rowdier, it's never to the point where it has gotten out of control. Just my two cents but most times if you are nice and respectful to those around you at these events, it is reciprocated.

The two are a month apart and I was at both games(not anywhere near the action). The first one I was sitting near home plate and it looked so ugly that haudricourt tweeted about it...could see it from the press box and found it substantial enough to tweet about. Keep in mind there are kids and such in that section trying to enjoy the game, and are being subject to this crap. Even your average cub fans that don't partake in stuff like this are generally rude and obnoxious...and the fans as a whole make the games difficult to enjoy.

I hate to use Cardinal fans as an example, but I've never had or seen any issues with them...or fans from any other team even pittsburgh and philly. Obviously the dynamic is a bit different, but the point still stands.

This may ruffle feathers but it's a socioeconomic issue. The Cubs fans at Miller Park are largely not the bankers and lawyers of Wrigleyville. Those people just go to Wrigley on Saturday. What you get are the people who would never be able to see the Cubs play for $45 on a Saturday. It's a working-class crowd that's letting loose and after 15 beers yelling at someone for liking a different baseball team sounds like a great idea. The environment at MP where you can cook your own lunch and bring your own keg to the parking lot is an absolute dream compared to how most of the country has to do live sports. If you live here I don't think most people really appreciate how affordable the Brewers experience is.

Now, I'm not implying that if you aren't rich you automatically don't know how to behave, but the demographics tend to lend to that type of behavior the lower you get on the income scale.

You would have the same issue if 25k people from West Philly showed up, but it's a little too far for them. The Cubs fans can get in there car after breakfast and make it to the game. For some, this is their only shot to see the Cubs live all year - obviously the majority of them are just fine, but odds of an incident go way up when you add all this together.

If any season ticket holders want to sell their Cubs series tickets, I'm going to be looking for 3 tickets the the June 12th and 13th games. Not willing to pay "Cubs fan" prices though.

A couple of high school friends and I will be taking in the series, then heading to both Chicago stadiums for non Brewer games. Following that with a trip to Kane County to see the Timber Rattlers on the road...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Problem with this plan is you can't determine a fan's loyalty by his address. A large percentage of Cub fans at Miller Park reside in Wisconsin. Add in the fact that for many Cub fans in northern suburbs, it's much easier to get to Miller Park than it is to get to Wrigley so much so that they are willing to pay a premium for tickets.

I'd argue that scalping is bad regardless of how you justify it. If you're not planning to attend a game, just don't buy the tickets. If you have to sell them because you can't or don't want to attend, sell at face value.

Why would a person do that? If you could get $500 each for $100 seats you'd sell them for $100?

I also haven't been to a Cubs/Brewers game in close to 10 years and have no interest in changing that.

I'd argue that scalping is bad regardless of how you justify it. If you're not planning to attend a game, just don't buy the tickets. If you have to sell them because you can't or don't want to attend, sell at face value.

Why would a person do that? If you could get $500 each for $100 seats you'd sell them for $100?

Just being a nice person I guess? I sell tickets for face for concerts/sports because I don't like making the effort to rip people off for a profit on something I had no part in creating.

The jerks will find ways to invade Miller Park no matter what, but I appreciate that the Brewers are trying something instead of nothing. They're stopping just short of officially acknowledging that the CHC games at MP are fairly miserable for actual home team fans. A solid next step would be some kind of goody or voucher for Brewers fans who stick such games out to the end. I've joked before that we should get the fan equivalent of combat pay for CHC series, but why should it be a joke?

I can barely tolerate CHC crowds from our loge seats in front of the press box. The ushers in that area keep a good handle on things. Circumstances would have to be particularly extraordinary (like a title clinching opportunity) for me to take in a CHC game from the terrace level anymore. And that is coming from a diehard fan.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived