Brewer Fanatic

Collin McHugh

ewitkows
The Astros would have to add more to McHugh, not the other way around. The Astros tanked his value by moving him to the pen.

Starter, reliever, custodian....his value is higher than Eric Thames.

I would put Thames and McHugh at about the same value before factoring in money.

When you consider that Thames is owed millions, McHugh becomes the more valuable piece.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member

I'm baffled by the persistent undervaluing of Thames on here. Since returning from Korea he basically has a full season at the point (160 G) and he's hit .248/.358/.531 with 38 HR. And he's signed to a team-friendly contract for 2-3 more years (cheaper than McHugh).

Even with mediocre defense and even if you platoon him, that's an extremely valuable player. Big upgrade for Houston at 1B/DH

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The Astros would have to add more to McHugh, not the other way around. The Astros tanked his value by moving him to the pen.

Starter, reliever, custodian....his value is higher than Eric Thames.

I would put Thames and McHugh at about the same value before factoring in money.

When you consider that Thames is owed millions, McHugh becomes the more valuable piece.

McHugh is making $5 million this year in his 2nd year of arbitration, and will be making even more in this 3rd arbitration go-round in 2019. Thames is making $5 million this year, $6 million in 2019, and has a $7.5 million option for 2020 with a $1 million buyout. Money looks pretty similar to me.

Our offense will need Thames' bat once he comes back.

Really? Gotta get Aguilar back to his role of best PH in baseball? Can we just say that the bench will be deeper or that Thames would solidify the roster. Aguilar has to keep playing.

Really? Gotta get Aguilar back to his role of best PH in baseball? Can we just say that the bench will be deeper or that Thames would solidify the roster. Aguilar has to keep playing.

Thames had a .918 OPS vs. RHP in 2017 and was at 1.004 so far this year. Like it or not they are going to work him in against righties somehow.

Thames had a .918 OPS vs. RHP in 2017 and was at 1.004 so far this year. Like it or not they are going to work him in against righties somehow.

Work him in? Sure. Playing him equal or MORE than Aguilar? That's another thing.

Just like we hammered the glut of OF/1B thing to death before the season (a lot of people saw Aguilar being cut), Thames coming back will work itself out as well.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Just like we hammered the glut of OF/1B thing to death before the season (a lot of people saw Aguilar being cut), Thames coming back will work itself out as well.

I think the difference right now is that Aguilar is perceived much differently than he was before the season. Many considered him totally expendable. Even the ones that preferred to keep him were resigned to the idea that it would be as a bench bat.

Now only is he not considered expendable but many want to see him in the lineup every day. Given his and Thames relative lack of versatility, there may not be an easy answer.

I'm not saying it won't work itself out too, just that I have no idea how at this point.

I'm not saying it won't work itself out too, just that I have no idea how at this point.

Unfortunately, I heard that he might be playing LF some when he comes back. :(

I thought they might. It is the only way to get both of Aguilar and Thames into the lineup without benching Shaw which should pretty much never happen.

Defensively I have some concerns, Thames is not a great fit for LF and you're also presumably pushing Yelich to RF where he loses a lot of value and his weak arm is amplified.

I think the difference right now is that Aguilar is perceived much differently than he was before the season. Many considered him totally expendable. Even the ones that preferred to keep him were resigned to the idea that it would be as a bench bat.

Now only is he not considered expendable but many want to see him in the lineup every day. Given his and Thames relative lack of versatility, there may not be an easy answer.

Counsell has pushed all the right buttons....I have confidence that Aggie will continue to be the everyday 1st basemen with only the occasional day off vs the really tough lefties.

I was high on Aguilar before the season(I can't say in retrospect how high, but I liked him). But watching him continue to be a productive big league hitter and more importantly the way he's doing it...taking pitches, going the other way, shortening up and still going deep with 2 strikes. I think we really got lucky picking him up. As for Thames, I'm just fine with spending more time on the bench and coming in to pinch hit. His contract is completely acceptable if he only starts twice a week and then gives us a left handed power bat off the bench.

Archived