Brewer Fanatic

Domingo Santana - round 2

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No one went off the deep end and you are still defending your position with passive aggression. Just because I knew he wasn't coming here doesn't mean he isn't a very good pitcher. Them signing him is a blow to the Brewers, no question. The Brewers may be better but they aren't good enough. That might be enough for you but it's not acceptable for me.

You telling people how to post around here is ironically cute and all but let’s just move on from that. No one is saying they don’t want the Brewers to improve. The Cubs were always going to try to get better. Their window is right now. Again, it is what it is. Darvish makes a ton of sense for them. The Brewers have improved their roster and haven’t even used all their trade pieces yet, nor have all the free agents been signed by other teams so there’s that too. It’s a good time to be a Brewers fan. Can’t wait to see how all this plays out.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If Darvish doesn't come here, (unlikely) him not going to chicago or going to chicago at a massive price tag was my hope. We got neither... thus its bad.

Yeah the market is what the market is though. Nothing that the Brewers or any of us can really control. $20M plus a year is nothing to sneeze at though and hey, maybe Stearns has a connection will let us in on his tipping of pitches.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

How about this, modifying my earlier three-team proposal involving Tampa Bay and Arizona?

Brewers get:

RHP Zach Greinke from ARI (pay $15 million of salary through contract)

RHP Taylor Clarke from ARI

OF/1B Joe McCarthy from TBR

LHP Travis Ott from TBR

RHP Ryan Atkinson from ARI

TBR gets:

OF Domingo Santana from MIL

SS Sergio Alcantra from ARI

RHP Brandon Woodruff from MIL

ARI gets:

RHP Chris Archer from TBR

RHP Phil Bickford from MIL

C Jacob Nottingham from MIL

The Brewers have to wait for their time? That is all they ever do.

No, it's not. When they built up a really strong nucleus, they went for it, as they should. Didn't do a great job of it, but that's a different story. However, it takes a long time to build a foundation like that, and it doesn't work if you're not committed to it. They just finished tearing it down less than 2 years ago. Thinking they should turn it around and compete with a team that has taken the time and skill to build up a young nucleus of the Cubs' caliber this soon is the type of entitlement usually reserved for the Yankees and Red Sox, and even they have had to build up a good foundation before making their move.

If Darvish doesn't come here, (unlikely) him not going to chicago or going to chicago at a massive price tag was my hope. We got neither... thus its bad.

Yeah the market is what the market is though. Nothing that the Brewers or any of us can really control. $20M plus a year is nothing to sneeze at though and hey, maybe Stearns has a connection will let us in on his tipping of pitches.

I highly doubt the pitch tipping continues this year.

I highly doubt the pitch tipping continues this year.

Probably should have put the blue font on that. :laughing

Lol some are really overreacting to the Darvish to to Cubs signing. Straight depression mode for some. We really cannot become impatient. It will only lead us to a roster that won’t last long and won’t be sustainable. A home will be found for Santana.

Seriously, why is it you have to stoop to this level every chance you get. Says a lot about your ability to defend your position when this is all you have. So if someone has a differing opinion they are depressed? Stellar logic there.

Fact is, the Cubs were better and just took another pretty big step forward. Saying "yeah, but we have Brent Suter" isn't going to cut it. Make that argument on a neutral board and see how quickly you get blown up.

Lol this is all I have? Come on man. Step away from the keyboard every once in awhile. You go one minute from saying that Darvish isn’t realistic for the Brewers and that he will never go there, to jumping off the deep end that he signed with the Cubs. The Brewers will continue on with their plan and not get themselves into financial messes. We all know what we sign up for being a Brewers fan. It includes realizing the downfalls of being in a small market. Just fuels the fire to try to knock off the Cubbies just that much more. Lovable losers, no more. Like I said in a different post, the Brewers are a better team today than they were a year ago and definitely two years ago.

If anybody's a bunch of lovable losers with the Cubs off the table it's the Brewers. We're upon the 50th anniversary ourselves of inception and how many World Series titles hang in our rafters? Slightly less than the amount of division titles hanging in the rafters.

Sooner or later you gotta pony up. Arrieta wasn't my first choice and carries risk, but you ain't winning if you ain't trying.

How about this, modifying my earlier three-team proposal involving Tampa Bay and Arizona?

Brewers get:

LHP Travis Ott from TBR

TBR gets:

ARI gets:

Arizona sheds half of Greinke's albatross and doesn't give up a single top-100 prospect (because they have a mediocre farm system) and somehow lands Chris Archer???

Brewers get:

LHP Travis Ott from TBR

TBR gets:

ARI gets:

Surplus values as follows:

Milwaukee = +8.95 million

Tampa Bay = -25.86 million

Arizona = +16.91 million

And if I were to over-value any individual player when doing this analysis, it would likely be Santana as I've assessed him at a +72 million dollar surplus value. I'm guessing the majority of teams would probably have him at about 20 million less which would then put Tampa Bay at -45 million mark in this swap. It's just really, really, really hard to see Tampa Bay parting with Chris Archer, and getting Domingo Santana back as the headliner of the trade.

For those eyeing up Mejia for Santana+, the Indians brought in some minor league depth at catcher. Probably is unrelated, but possible that the added depth allows them to move Mejia...

It sounds like many Indian fans would like to sell high on Mejia if you read their board.

For those eyeing up Mejia for Santana+, the Indians brought in some minor league depth at catcher. Probably is unrelated, but possible that the added depth allows them to move Mejia...

It sounds like many Indian fans would like to sell high on Mejia if you read their board.

Can you provide a link? Must be defense/power concerns.

Can you provide a link? Must be defense/power concerns.

I can't seem to track it down right now but I know our resident Cleveland fan posts there so maybe he can help.

I will say that it is weird that they have both of their catchers at the major league level signed for long-term contracts and then they signed Hannigan today on a minor league contract. I know it could be just a depth move but with Meija, you would think he would be getting pretty much all of the action at AAA to start, so why would Hannigan go there?

I will say that it is weird that they have both of their catchers at the major league level signed for long-term contracts and then they signed Hannigan today on a minor league contract. I know it could be just a depth move but with Meija, you would think he would be getting pretty much all of the action at AAA to start, so why would Hannigan go there?

Yeah, it's certainly a lot of tea leave-reading, but the move does certainly appear odd. I can't imagine Hannigan didn't have other options on a minor league deal, considering the dearth of catching talent in the league.

Hannigan makes sense as a NRI for spring training to help catch all the various pitchers. Additionally Mejia & Eric Haase (both on the Tribe 40 man) have a combined 2 games at AAA (Haase). Mejia has only a handful of games at the major league level. Hannigan might end up again in AAA as a player-coach to help with development of Mejia & Haase.

Would anybody do a Santana for Odorizzi and Colome? I don't really like either but just thought I'd toss it out there. Would Tampa do that? I'm still trying to figure out if there's actually a team with a OF need.

Yes. And I think it's pretty fair both ways.

Would anybody do a Santana for Odorizzi and Colome? I don't really like either but just thought I'd toss it out there. Would Tampa do that? I'm still trying to figure out if there's actually a team with a OF need.

Several teams need OF at this point:

Notably:

Cleveland

Arizona

Tampa

Others.

Yes. And I think it's pretty fair both ways.

I would do that. I might throw in someone like Perrin in the deal to get it done.

Notably:

Cleveland

Arizona

Tampa

Others.

What does Tampa need in the OF? Like the Brewers they are 4 deep now before adding Santana.

https://www.thescrumsports.com/rays/kiermaier-souza-will-anchor-solid-outfield-2018/

May be helpful to see how Rays view their OF.

Notably:

Cleveland

Arizona

Tampa

Others.

What does Tampa need in the OF? Like the Brewers they are 4 deep now before adding Santana.

https://www.thescrumsports.com/rays/kiermaier-souza-will-anchor-solid-outfield-2018/

May be helpful to see how Rays view their OF.

I think his true value comes as a DH. Maybe they see him as that with the ability to play out there if needed. I could see him as a 4 fWAR type offensive player which would make him a top 3ish DH

Archived