Brewer Fanatic

Domingo Santana - round 2

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dealing Broxton doesn't fix the OF 1b depth issue at all. It just trades a dude who would be in AAA.

What if its Broxton/Thames? Broxton/Phillips? Phillips/Broxton?

We jump to way too many damn conclusions around here with so little information.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Most scouts feel the power will come for Smith. Not 25 HR type power - but more like 15 HR power. No HRs last year is certainly a concern, but the .400+ OBP is really attractive. He would be a little unconventional for a 1B - but it's not just about HRs for a corner IF. I would bet the team would be all over him if they got the chance - but that's just a guess.

Scouts get paid to project so yeah, they may like him. The OBP fits the mold. I still don't know if I'd take that gamble in a Santana deal.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Dealing Broxton doesn't fix the OF 1b depth issue at all. It just trades a dude who would be in AAA.

What if its Broxton/Thames? Broxton/Phillips? Phillips/Broxton?

We jump to way too many damn conclusions around here with so little information.

No!

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

HH19 now says Aguilar and Broxton being shopped. Phillips offers being listened to. So like before, it doesn't have to be Santana on the move to make this work.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Broxton/Thames would open AB (thames) but as I said if Braun can't play 1st Thames is needed and thames/braun isnt redundant like braun/aguilar. Dealing thames is sell low and risky.

Broxton/phillips trades away our AAA OF depth stash. Doesn't change the mlb roster make up at all.

Right now the start projections that are logical have zero for phillips broxton (barring mlb dl and subsequent call up) and zero for Aguilar.

Flipping Aguilar for anything would be great but all the same questions remain.

HH19 now says Aguilar and Broxton being shopped. Phillips offers being listened to. So like before, it doesn't have to be Santana on the move to make this work.

Then Braun must be being moving to 1b full time... Which is great, keeps Braun's and Santana's bat in the lineup.

Then Braun must be being moving to 1b full time... Which is great, keeps Braun's and Santana's bat in the lineup.

Annnnnnnd we are jumping to conclusions again.

How would you explain it then?

Braun or Santana ARE NOT becoming bench players... Both will be in the everyday lineup.

Braun or Santana ARE NOT becoming bench players... Both will be in the everyday lineup.

There is nothing to explain. NOTHING has happened yet. See I can use caps too.

Happy for you!

Well Yelich and Cain will occupy 2 of the OF spots... Last time I checked, there's 3 spot in the OF... Counsell said Braun will not be playing RF.

So.............

LF - Yelich

CF - Cain

RF - Santana

1B - Braun

But I know, I'm jumping to a conclusion.

Broxton had a 645 second half OPS and Aguilar wasn't much better. If they are being shopped I can't imagine it's for a whole lot.

That would mean they are very serious about Braun to 1B and so far I've just seen that as speculation and TBD?

Happy for you!

Well Yelich and Cain will occupy 2 of the OF spots... Last time I checked, there's 3 spot in the OF... Counsell said Braun will not be playing RF.

So.............

LF - Yelich

CF - Cain

RF - Santana

1B - Braun

You had to check on how many OF there are?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

That's not really anything new. I know that Stearns has been very aggressive - for months - talking to teams and laying groundwork for potential deals. Half the players on the club have probably been discussed with other teams.

Happy for you!

So.............

LF - Yelich

CF - Cain

RF - Santana

1B - Braun

You had to check on how many OF there are?

I really, really hope this a joke.

Happy for you!

So.............

LF - Yelich

CF - Cain

RF - Santana

1B - Braun

That's a good guess for now. If you're saying with certainty that our opening day lineup will match that, I would say you're jumping to conclusions a bit. Santana could still be traded, or Braun could fail miserably at 1B. Still lots to be figured out. I doubt anything is certain for the Brewers FO right now.

Happy for you!

So.............

LF - Yelich

CF - Cain

RF - Santana

1B - Braun

That's a good guess for now. If you're saying with certainty that our opening day lineup will match that, I would say you're jumping to conclusions a bit. Santana could still be traded, or Braun could fail miserably at 1B. Still lots to be figured out. I doubt anything is certain for the Brewers FO right now.

I'm not... Just going off what HH tweeted about 0 chance Santana is traded.

Well they did prove it at the big league level and Mejia is just a prospect. When dealing with established players it is the established player for multiple prospects not the other way around.

+1

I don't get valuing other team's prospects more than our high-end big leaguers. I mean, I get that some players do regress, but you'd think by reading some posts around here that every player on the Brewers' team is bound to be horrible!

High-end big leaguers? Was that Villar and Guerra last year too? I'm not over-valuing top prospects; you're undervaluing them. And over-valuing 3 guys over 25 with a combined career WAR of about 10. That is NOT high-end, proven major league talent, and there was nothing about their past as prospects that suggests they're in the same league as guys like Mejia and McKenzie.

Happy for you!

So.............

LF - Yelich

CF - Cain

RF - Santana

1B - Braun

If HH is correct, then you're probably right. While I enjoy reading what HH has to say, I don't take his word as fact. I just don't believe after all this time shopping Santana, we'd suddenly close shop. One call right now could send Domingo on his way as far as I'm concerned.

Source says something is going to happen soon with our OF surplus. Don't know who or what is on the menu, but we will see.

Before end of week soon?

Only heard 'coming soon'. Sorry for the vagueness. That's all I got.

does this mean we can all jump all over him and chastise him for his vague responses and question his credibility too? seem's like the common thing to do here when someone claims to have a "source"

for the record, I support everyone with a source as it fuels the fire and makes having a discussion in February about Brewers baseball meaningful! Which isnt something we can say often!

If HH is correct, then you're probably right. While I enjoy reading what HH has to say, I don't take his word as fact. I just don't believe after all this time shopping Santana, we'd suddenly close shop. One call right now could send Domingo on his way as far as I'm concerned.

I do, if we're getting garbage returns.

Well they did prove it at the big league level and Mejia is just a prospect. When dealing with established players it is the established player for multiple prospects not the other way around.

+1

I don't get valuing other team's prospects more than our high-end big leaguers. I mean, I get that some players do regress, but you'd think by reading some posts around here that every player on the Brewers' team is bound to be horrible!

High-end big leaguers? Was that Villar and Guerra last year too? I'm not over-valuing top prospects; you're undervaluing them. And over-valuing 3 guys over 25 with a combined career WAR of about 10. That is NOT high-end, proven major league talent, and there was nothing about their past as prospects that suggests they're in the same league as guys like Mejia and McKenzie.

Dude,

Big League Regulars >>>>>> prospects. Every single time. If you believe guys like Santana, Shaw and Knebel are all of a sudden going to fall off a cliff, I'm going to vehemently disagree. Sure, Villar regressed. Guerra was hurt, so that comparison can be tossed. But yes, going into last season, Villar was considered a building block and yes, a high-end big leaguer.

Archived