Brewer Fanatic

Domingo Santana - round 2

Does Boston signing Nunez take them out of the running for Martinez? Maybe this opens something up for a Domingo trade to Boston. However, I am not sure they have the assets to send back.

Any trade with Boston for Santana probably needs a 3rd team.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the only real reasonable deal I've heard including Santana and an established MLB pitcher was the Santana/Danny Salazar swap. But now that one is dead in the water with the reports of Salazar's shoulder. If the Brewers want to trade Santana, I think the best return for them would likely be prospects and not an established MLB'er.

But at this point I'd prefer keeping Domingo and going with Yelich/Cain/Santana in the outfield. Really don't like having that much money tied up in Braun and potentially having him on the bench the majority of the time considering he can still hit, but I think that's what the roster dictates. Might as well throw in my crybaby statement about not really liking Stearns addition of both Yelich and Cain while IMO the only real outfield problem was centerfield OBP.

Does Boston signing Nunez take them out of the running for Martinez? Maybe this opens something up for a Domingo trade to Boston. However, I am not sure they have the assets to send back.

Eduardo Rodriguez had a decent 2017 and doesn’t become a free agent until 2022. He’s a player I would love to receive in a deal for Domingo.

Eduardo Rodriguez had a decent 2017 and doesn’t become a free agent until 2022. He’s a player I would love to receive in a deal for Domingo.

He had knee surgery in November is is likely out until possibly June.

No, Nunez is insurance for Pedroia who will not be ready to start the season and has missed a lot of time two of the last three years. Nunez's deal is reportedly a one-year deal with an option.

Boston needs a DH and Nunez is a career .735 OPS who got hot in a short sample of 38 games with Boston last year. If Hanley Ramirez gets 497 PAs in 2017 he's guaranteed $22M for 2019 and the Red Sox want no part of that.

I'm guessing the hangup is that Boston's offer to Martinez is backloaded for when Ramirez is off the books, and Martinez doesn't like that. Santana is a really good fit for Boston as an alternate to Martinez, and Boston has pitching prospects to offer. Brewers then have the option to keep the prospects and go with Suter/Wilkerson as the #5, or flip the pitching prospects for a starter (either now or before the trade deadline). Pretty good match if you ask me.

After the Yelich trade and Cain acquisition my iimmediate thoughts were we needed to trade Santana for a top line pitcher so we could make a legit post season run. However as of late it has become apparent that if the brewers were to trade Santana they would not get back equal value for him. And no team is going to give us an ace just for Santana. So I got to thinking that having Braun, Yelich, Cain, and Santan for an entire 162 game season does not sound that bad. All 4 are offensive weapons and if Braun could play an aquette 1st base 1 out of 3 games each series than there are 4 really good hitters in the game. If Braun could play 1st base 1 game every series that would allow CC to give each one of them quality at bats each series not to mention in games one of them don’t start a very solid late game pinch hitter( which is huge in national league). And even if Braun cannot play 1st base it’s not to challenging to get 4 OF plate appearances during a series. And if each one of them get some sort of regular rest than maybe they will help them stay healthier physically and better prepared mentally.in the end it would be great to have a top of the line starter but if we cannot get a good value return for Santana than maybe our identity needs to be to score more runs than the other team and hope the starters can keep us in the game until it gets to the bullpen.

After the Yelich trade and Cain acquisition my iimmediate thoughts were we needed to trade Santana for a top line pitcher so we could make a legit post season run. However as of late it has become apparent that if the brewers were to trade Santana they would not get back equal value for him. And no team is going to give us an ace just for Santana. So I got to thinking that having Braun, Yelich, Cain, and Santan for an entire 162 game season does not sound that bad. All 4 are offensive weapons and if Braun could play an aquette 1st base 1 out of 3 games each series than there are 4 really good hitters in the game. If Braun could play 1st base 1 game every series that would allow CC to give each one of them quality at bats each series not to mention in games one of them don’t start a very solid late game pinch hitter( which is huge in national league). And even if Braun cannot play 1st base it’s not to challenging to get 4 OF plate appearances during a series. And if each one of them get some sort of regular rest than maybe they will help them stay healthier physically and better prepared mentally.in the end it would be great to have a top of the line starter but if we cannot get a good value return for Santana than maybe our identity needs to be to score more runs than the other team and hope the starters can keep us in the game until it gets to the bullpen.

I just can't agree with this. I get that everyone wants to make the best of it but this roster construction is really bad right now with a lot of hopes pinned Braun being good enough to play first even some of the time. If he can't, this is even worse.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Because Braun and Broxton is better than Yelich and Cain? Or is it that counting on Braun to be healthy and in the lineup makes the team better? This teams constructed better than it was last year by a long shot.

Since the offense would be better than it was last year if Braun didnt play at all I find it hard to agree with your stance. Having a true 1-2 with Santana Shaw thames/aguilar is better than the offense and defense at any point last year.

This is the 1st year we have 4 OF better than our 1b... this is when Braun moves to a logical spot in his career trajectory.

When you rebuild you acquire assets. When you contend you put the right pieces in place. You dont pass the right pieces because you have assets in their way. You trade the assets... when the price is correct.

Yelich cain are contention adds.

This is the 1st year we have 4 OF better than our 1b... this is when Braun moves to a logical spot in his career trajectory.

If Santana is not traded, then I think Braun should be moved to first base and we should look to trade Aguilar/Thames for whatever we can get. Yelich, Cain, Santana, and Braun are all guys you keep in the lineup every day and Phillips is a solid #4 OF who will need PAs. Braun isn't a good enough defender to bounce around the field. Give him a position and let him play.

We won't get a huge return for Aguilar or Thames, but we should be able to restock the farm with some talent, and trading Thames will free up some cash we could use to help sign someone like Cobb or a second base upgrade.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If Santana is not traded, then I think Braun should be moved to first base and we should look to trade Aguilar/Thames for whatever we can get. Yelich, Cain, Santana, and Braun are all guys you keep in the lineup every day and Phillips is a solid #4 OF who will need PAs. Braun isn't a good enough defender to bounce around the field. Give him a position and let him play.

We won't get a huge return for Aguilar or Thames, but we should be able to restock the farm with some talent, and trading Thames will free up some cash we could use to help sign someone like Cobb or a second base upgrade.

I really think the Brewers are very serious about moving Braun to 1B, he will see plenty of action at 1B in spring training. Having Yelich over Braun at LF should be a big defensive improvement at that position.

According to one of HH's post several weeks ago, the Brewers have put Thames available in the trade market.

Assuming Hosmer stays with KC, that would put Wil Myers back at first base for San Diego and then I think they become an interesting candidate to make a Domingo Santana trade. But this only works if Hosmer is not a Padre.

Padres get:

OF-Domingo Santana

Brewers get:

LHP-Adrian Morejon

LHP-Joey Lucchesi

1B-Josh Naylor

Stearns could obviously make a play for Brad Hand as one of the pieces but I don't think the Padres are interesting in moving him now. It's also questionable if Stearns would want to give full value for Hand with two lefties already in the bullpen.

Assuming Hosmer stays with KC, that would put Wil Myers back at first base for San Diego and then I think they become an interesting candidate to make a Domingo Santana trade. But this only works if Hosmer is not a Padre.

Padres get:

OF-Domingo Santana

Brewers get:

LHP-Adrian Morejon

LHP-Joey Lucchesi

1B-Josh Naylor

Stearns could obviously make a play for Brad Hand as one of the pieces but I don't think the Padres are interesting in moving him now. It's also questionable if Stearns would want to give full value for Hand with two lefties already in the bullpen.

I could see a deal like this happening IF the team signs a FA starting pitcher. Of course, it would also strengthen the system for a potential prospects for TOR starter as well. The Padres have some nice pieces in their system I'd love to have.

Padres get:

OF-Domingo Santana

Brewers get:

LHP-Adrian Morejon

LHP-Joey Lucchesi

1B-Josh Naylor

I could see a deal like this happening IF the team signs a FA starting pitcher. Of course, it would also strengthen the system for a potential prospects for TOR starter as well. The Padres have some nice pieces in their system I'd love to have.

Agreed. Assuming a Cobb/Arrieta/Lynn signing happens I am leaning towards a trade like this which would bolster the prospect list (and fill org needs too LHP and 1B) to use possibly in summer for an acquisition. Acquisitions during the season require prospects as it is teams looking to rebuild (big or small) who are dealing players. A reshuffle the deck type of trade where MLB for MLB players are exchanged is an offseason type trade. Its still possible to acquire a SP for the rotation from a deal centered on Santana (I am looking at you Cleveland) but the longer we go the more likely it will be a Santana for prospects trade.

Outside the box idea. Santana/Thames and prospects for Abreu and Rodon from the White Sox. Get your cheap cost controlled starter with a bunch of upside (also lefty which is good) and get an AS level every day 1B. I'm not nearly as in tune with most here on prospect values but I'd assume this costs us much less than what TB was asking for Shields. If it would cost much as Shields or more, then I wouldn't do it. Essentially I'm looking at it as cheaper route. Maybe I'm wrong at that assumption, you guys know more on that end. Of course you're getting a riskier P but to balance that you're getting a great 1B for two years. Sox would get whatever prospects we give, plus they can try to flip Santana/Thames later if they put up good numbers.

Outside the box idea. Santana/Thames and prospects for Abreu and Rodon from the White Sox. Get your cheap cost controlled starter with a bunch of upside (also lefty which is good) and get an AS level every day 1B. I'm not nearly as in tune with most here on prospect values but I'd assume this costs us much less than what TB was asking for Shields. If it would cost much as Shields or more, then I wouldn't do it. Essentially I'm looking at it as cheaper route. Maybe I'm wrong at that assumption, you guys know more on that end. Of course you're getting a riskier P but to balance that you're getting a great 1B for two years. Sox would get whatever prospects we give, plus they can try to flip Santana/Thames later if they put up good numbers.

Rodon is injured

I'm pretty much hoping they sign Cobb and deal Santana in something with Cle that gets Mejia.

Cain yelich braun/thames shaw arcia phillips villar pina

If Mejia Huira Lutz can run to the majors in under 3 years that's a fun lineup.

I'm pretty much hoping they sign Cobb and deal Santana in something with Cle that gets Mejia.

Cain yelich braun/thames shaw arcia phillips villar pina

If Mejia Huira Lutz can run to the majors in under 3 years that's a fun lineup.

Make that two of us. This is pretty much my preferred option at this point.

So, if the JD Martinez rumors to Boston are true this afternoon - does that open up more conversations with other teams about Domingo? In particular, does AZ become more interested?

I think that makes sense. Cleveland as well, along with Oakland. If a starting pitcher is signed, it frees up the Brewers to trade Santana for prospects.

If the sox would agree I'd do that in a heartbeat, but I don't see why the sox would make the trade (unless Rodon's shoulder is toast). Santana is a bit redundant with Avi Garcia in right field. Though, Garcia could get moved to LF, DH, or 1b. Rodon has ace upside with the same team control as Santana. The Sox are also loaded in the minors with outfielders with Eloy Jimenez penciled into LF (making the Garcia move less likely). They might do Abreu for Santana and Thames. Might not be a terrible trade idea for the Brewers.

I think Martinez going to Boston is bad for our leverage with Santana. Might leave Cleveland as the only real suitor. Diamondbacks may have interest, but we are competing with them for wildcard this year. I'm not so sure we want to send them good players.

Then we just keep Santana... No need to get ripped off.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So, if the JD Martinez rumors to Boston are true this afternoon - does that open up more conversations with other teams about Domingo? In particular, does AZ become more interested?

Dbacks added Jarrad Dyson. Not a thumper, but still a good player. It was announced immediately after the Sox signed JD Martinez - so I wonder if the Dbacks were waiting on Martinez and essentially had a deal with Dyson ready to go once he signed elsewhere.

I don't think it would totally put Arizona out of a deal for Santana, but it makes it less likely. AJ Pollack will be in CF, Peralta in RF. Then there's Yasmany Tomas and Dyson. Perhaps they are willing to move on from Tomas (who is owed $46M over the next three years) - in which case Santana would work well for them.

Edit: After I wrote this the Dbacks were reportedly still interested in adding an OF - so speculate all you want about Santana to AZ.

Archived