Brewer Fanatic

Domingo Santana - round 2

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-rumors-j-d-martinez-fed-up-with-red-sox-who-discussed-encarnacion-trade/

I know this is unrelated to Santana or the Brewers, but wouldn't moving Encarnacion to the Red Sox open up the DH and make Cleveland an even better fit for Santana? Bradley would be the target coming back in the rumored deal, but he's more apt to help out in CF than anything. Santana could DH a decent amount and play the field against lefties...also an open DH slot allows some of Cleveland's more injury prone players to DH sometimes if they are dealing with minor tweaks and help keep their guys fresh.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Domingo is going to Maryvale, that is my prediction. Seriously though, Cleveland has always made sense whether they move Encarnacion or not but yeah, that deal might make it more obvious.
but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Or, wouldn't the Red Sox have some interest in Santana?

I realize that they may not have the MLB ready arms that we might be looking for in a package for Santana, but maybe we could look to trade him there for a prospect package? However, just looking at Boston's top prospect list - boy, has that system dropped off in recent years (after trades and guys graduating to the pros). Is there much in that system that you'd like to see come back for Santana? I guess I'm thinking that this could help us replenish our farm system a bit, and we could then use some of those pieces to trade for a TOR starting pitcher (either before the season or at the trade deadline).

I realize that they may not have the MLB ready arms that we might be looking for in a package for Santana, but maybe we could look to trade him there for a prospect package? However, just looking at Boston's top prospect list - boy, has that system dropped off in recent years (after trades and guys graduating to the pros). Is there much in that system that you'd like to see come back for Santana? I guess I'm thinking that this could help us replenish our farm system a bit, and we could then use some of those pieces to trade for a TOR starting pitcher (either before the season or at the trade deadline).

I absolutely think the Red Sox have some interest in him, especially considering the outlandish contract demands of JD Martinez(who they are publicly targeting). I'd be open to dealing for prospects now, signing a FA, and dealing for another pitcher at the deadline depending on our situation.

There's really not much in the Red Sox system that excites me. They've gutted it in recent years to make deals for guys like Sale. I think the only way they are going to end up with Santana is if a 3rd team gets involved that can offer higher-end MLB pitching for a collection of younger prospects from both teams.

There's really not much in the Red Sox system that excites me. They've gutted it in recent years to make deals for guys like Sale. I think the only way they are going to end up with Santana is if a 3rd team gets involved that can offer higher-end MLB pitching for a collection of younger prospects from both teams.

That's it for me. Who would we want? Maybe a three team deal would work with them?

How about a Groome/Scherff/Raudes package for Santana? Some high ceiling, low floor profiles with all three of those guys though, so not sure if Stearns would want to pull the trigger on a deal like that for a proven MLB guy like Santana?

How about a Groome/Scherff/Raudes package for Santana? Some high ceiling, low floor profiles with all three of those guys though, so not sure if Stearns would want to pull the trigger on a deal like that for a proven MLB guy like Santana?

I'm not opposed to a Santana for prospects deal at all. However, the pitching thing has to be taken care of and I'm still of the opinion that Santana is part of that solution.

I'm not opposed to a Santana for prospects deal at all. However, the pitching thing has to be taken care of and I'm still of the opinion that Santana is part of that solution.

I agree 100%. But, couldn't we go out and sign an Alex Cobb, and then use some of the prospects generated from a Santana trade to go out and get a TOR starter (ideally with some controllable years) - either now or at the trade deadline? Maybe Boston's prospects aren't a good fit for a Santana deal though?

That's the frustrating thing. Sure, Groome/Scherff/Raudes is a decent package of prospects, but all three are multiple years away from being MLB contributors. Yet when the Brewers are looking to trade prospects for an MLB contributor, its always Burnes, Woodruff, Phillips and other MLB-ready or near MLB-ready players that are talked about in the return.

That Red Sox system is barren! If they want Santana, they better find a 3rd team willing to give up a quality MLB starting pitcher, and willing to take on some overhyped Red Sox diaper dandies.

The Red Sox probably don't want to deal with Stearns anymore after last years raking. Half kidding.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I agree 100%. But, couldn't we go out and sign an Alex Cobb, and then use some of the prospects generated from a Santana trade to go out and get a TOR starter (ideally with some controllable years) - either now or at the trade deadline? Maybe Boston's prospects aren't a good fit for a Santana deal though?

Yeah, I think I commented somewhere that a deal with Boston would probably have to be a three way deal but you are still using Santana to lure pitching. Maybe with Detroit for Fulmer. I think I read that somewhere. You would want to have all the parties engaged though so you got the right prospects that Detroit wanted. You couldn't just trade Santana to Boston and then hope another team wanted some of those prospects. It would have to be pretty structured but I like your thought process.

I'm curious, would players like Rick Porcello or Drew Pomeranz or even a reunion with Tyler Thornburg interest the Brewers??

I don't think Thornburg would unless it was as a second or third piece. I'd guess the starting pitchers would be interesting but I'm not sure Boston would be interested in moving those guys now.

I'm curious, would players like Rick Porcello or Drew Pomeranz or even a reunion with Tyler Thornburg interest the Brewers??

I don't think Thornburg would unless it was as a second or third piece. I'd guess the starting pitchers would be interesting but I'm not sure Boston would be interested in moving those guys now.

I agree that Thornburg wouldn't be a primary target, but as extra piece he might help out getting something put together. Let's put a pin in that idea (Boston)..

As I head to bowling league tonight I will be catching up on a few baseball podcasts. Perhaps some creative juices will get flowing.. :)

I agree that Thornburg wouldn't be a primary target, but as extra piece he might help out getting something put together. Let's put a pin in that idea (Boston)..

As I head to bowling league tonight I will be catching up on a few baseball podcasts. Perhaps some creative juices will get flowing.. :)

Find that third team, that would be the key.

I'd love Pomeranz, as he'd immediately slot in as the team's top starter. But the Red Sox are contenders, and have next to no rotation depth. The Brewers might stand a better shot of prying someone like Eduardo Rodriguez, but he is coming off knee surgery, and is likely out till May.

First post here. I don't understand why people are wanting to trade Domingo for prospects right now. In my opinion, if you're not getting starting pitching back for the guy, there is no use trading him. This is obviously dependent on the fact that Braun can play 1B, which would be amazing if possible. I'm not sure how many outfielders in history have made the transition from the OF to 1B, but I'd imagine that from a professionals standpoint, it would probably be the easiest transition. Right now, with a fully healthy lineup, and Braunny staying healthy (playing 1B), Santana is probably the 4th or 5th best bat in their lineup. That's pretty incredible, I'm sure a lot of teams in baseball would look at him as their 2nd or 3rd best option (maybe 1st in some cases? idk). If we can't get any pitching for the guy, stick with what you've got at this point, and hope for the best with signing some sort of pitching. If you can sign one of the top 4 pitchers with a 3 year deal, 3rd being a team option of some sort, and guaranteed money in the first two, I don't think that the price tag is that big of an issue. You're not mortgaging your future payroll on a 3 year deal ever, and we are basically opening our window over the next 5 years (I think its closer to 3 really). Our time is short, we need to make an attempt at making it to a world series and ending the 36 year drought of getting there. People shouldn't be scared of paying up for winning. Sure, it's definitely possible you don't make it, but if you don't make the attempt, you'll never find out. Any of the top 4 pitchers are above our 4/5 pitchers right now.

Also, sorry if I veered my comment in the wrong direction of this thread

If Santana can't bring back a young MLB pitcher with team control, then I think I'd sign a free agent SP, trade Thames/Aguilar for prospects and go into the season with an OF of Yelich, Cain, Santana with Braun at first base.

Santana may not be a perfect fit for the "Stearns mold," but he's still a valuable player. I like the thought of Cain, Yelich, Braun, Shaw, Santana as our top five. Meanwhile, while we need another SP, we don't necessarily need two. Sign Lynn or Cobb, see how Nelson's rehab goes, and make a deadline trade if necessary.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

First post here. I don't understand why people are wanting to trade Domingo for prospects right now. In my opinion, if you're not getting starting pitching back for the guy, there is no use trading him. This is obviously dependent on the fact that Braun can play 1B, which would be amazing if possible. I'm not sure how many outfielders in history have made the transition from the OF to 1B, but I'd imagine that from a professionals standpoint, it would probably be the easiest transition. Right now, with a fully healthy lineup, and Braunny staying healthy (playing 1B), Santana is probably the 4th or 5th best bat in their lineup. That's pretty incredible, I'm sure a lot of teams in baseball would look at him as their 2nd or 3rd best option (maybe 1st in some cases? idk). If we can't get any pitching for the guy, stick with what you've got at this point, and hope for the best with signing some sort of pitching. If you can sign one of the top 4 pitchers with a 3 year deal, 3rd being a team option of some sort, and guaranteed money in the first two, I don't think that the price tag is that big of an issue. You're not mortgaging your future payroll on a 3 year deal ever, and we are basically opening our window over the next 5 years (I think its closer to 3 really). Our time is short, we need to make an attempt at making it to a world series and ending the 36 year drought of getting there. People shouldn't be scared of paying up for winning. Sure, it's definitely possible you don't make it, but if you don't make the attempt, you'll never find out. Any of the top 4 pitchers are above our 4/5 pitchers right now.

Also, sorry if I veered my comment in the wrong direction of this thread

My personal reason for wanting to trade Santana for prospects is for three reasons. A, I only want us to get one more SP so as not to push Woodruff back to AAA and FA is the best rout. Second, while keeping Santana with Yelich, Cain, Braun, and Thames makes an awesome combo, someone is going to get relegated to be a part timer (probably Thames). Moving one of them would be of better value and of that set, only Thames & Santana can be moved and Santana should get us a better haul. And D, I want Phillips starting ~3/4 of the games in RF. His D along with Yelich and Cain would be awesome. Keeping Braun/Thames in the lineup with Yelich, Cain and Shaw makes for a strong top 4.

If we can squeeze out a top 50 prospect who is in AA at a position of need for Santana (Meija?), that would be the best use of resources, in my opinion.

Welcome badger -

There are a number of good reasons to trade Santana for something other than SP now. I like the idea of trading Santana as it allows more playing time for phillips/thames. You can rotate those guys in for significant atbats with Braun/Cain/Yelich playing almost everyday(braun will get more rest than the other 2 guys). Ideally, Braun and Perez would play against lefties(Perez in RF) and Braun would split time against righties at 1b and RF...with Phillips/Thames playing when Braun rests. With Santana, Phillips probably has to open in AAA or be glued to the bench...and it would also be tough to get atbats for Thames. Also, provides more balance with potentially 4-5 lefties in the lineup against RH pitchers.

Ideally, we get a starting pitcher for Santana. If there isn't a good match for starting pitcher now, we can trade for a prospect package that can be used at the deadline to acquire SP if needed. Even though we are in win-now mode, prospects are still valuable as currency in trades...and for all we know the prospects we'd get don't end up being traded and turn into quality major leaguers.

If Santana can't bring back a young MLB pitcher with team control, then I think I'd sign a free agent SP, trade Thames/Aguilar for prospects and go into the season with an OF of Yelich, Cain, Santana with Braun at first base.

Santana may not be a perfect fit for the "Stearns mold," but he's still a valuable player. I like the thought of Cain, Yelich, Braun, Shaw, Santana as our top five. Meanwhile, while we need another SP, we don't necessarily need two. Sign Lynn or Cobb, see how Nelson's rehab goes, and make a deadline trade if necessary.

This plan is exactly what I'm hoping for as well. Try to get Neil Walker on a 2 year deal and you have a pretty impressive line up.

If we keep Santana, then Braun moves needs to be moved permanently to 1B... Braun isnt losing playing time and Santana doesnt deserve to sit the bench.

Then sign Walker to play 2B.

Cain - CF

Yelich - LF

Braun - 1B

Shaw - 3B

Santana - RF

Walker - 2B

Pina - C

Arcia - SS

That 1-6 is very, very good!

Welcome badger -

There are a number of good reasons to trade Santana for something other than SP now. I like the idea of trading Santana as it allows more playing time for phillips/thames. You can rotate those guys in for significant atbats with Braun/Cain/Yelich playing almost everyday(braun will get more rest than the other 2 guys). Ideally, Braun and Perez would play against lefties(Perez in RF) and Braun would split time against righties at 1b and RF...with Phillips/Thames playing when Braun rests. With Santana, Phillips probably has to open in AAA or be glued to the bench...and it would also be tough to get atbats for Thames. Also, provides more balance with potentially 4-5 lefties in the lineup against RH pitchers.

Ideally, we get a starting pitcher for Santana. If there isn't a good match for starting pitcher now, we can trade for a prospect package that can be used at the deadline to acquire SP if needed. Even though we are in win-now mode, prospects are still valuable as currency in trades...and for all we know the prospects we'd get don't end up being traded and turn into quality major leaguers.

I guess I (and pretty much everyone else I think) don't understand the value that Domingo has on a trade market. If he can't fetch a decent starting pitcher, whose to say that he'd be able to get anything worth much value in prospects? If I were to guess, unless you're trading for someone like Kershaw or whatever (just an example), I would be under the assumption that a prospect has a higher value than an above average starting pitcher. We obviously aren't able to trade for a TOR pitcher straight up for Domingo without giving prospects back also. He probably has less value than maybe two prospects, one top 75, and one outside of the top 100. Just my thoughts on that. Obviously if Braun is able to play at 1B daily, you're going to have to get rid of Aguilar or Thames. At this point, you might as well let Aguilar just go (unless he has options which I'm not sure of), and have a platoon of Braun and Thames, that way Braun stays rested. Only issue is that Thames needs a lot of playing time to get into a groove. Phillips should be your Hernan Perez of the outfield this year, and can get slotted in at any outfield spot without feeling like you're losing anything defensively any given day. I'd rather just roll with keeping Santana if you can't get an above average starting pitcher without giving up players like Burnes to achieve that.

Archived