Brewer Fanatic

Swingman Dumpster Dive

With Spring Training almost here and many pitchers still available, I decided to go through the list of potential FAs to see if there may be some hidden gems to upgrade the swingman role that Gallardo was supposedly signed for. - Suffice it to say, I was not a fan of his signing.

I separated out the obvious top starters and focused on the lesser known guys. I was quite surprised by the list of poor performing SPs, so much so, that the Gallardo signing is not looking too bad anymore. Well, here is what I found:

Upgrade or bounce back candidate: J.Vargas, Buchholz, B. Norris, Nolasco

Slight Upgrade: Cashner (not a fan due to low Ks), Cahill, H. Santiago, E. Volquez, J. Garcia, Hellickson

The first four would be a clear upgrade IMO although are older. That could be a benefit if we don't have to give a multiyear contract to any of them. I have not heard many people bring up their names as possible targets. What do you think?

The others would probably be an upgrade but may not be worth it if they cannot be signed to a comparable contract. You also have to compare these to Guerra, Wilkerson, Suter, and Woodruff (assuming we add a frontline starter yet). Not sure if the roster spot is worth signing any of them

With Spring Training almost here and many pitchers still available, I decided to go through the list of potential FAs to see if there may be some hidden gems to upgrade the swingman role that Gallardo was supposedly signed for. - Suffice it to say, I was not a fan of his signing.

I separated out the obvious top starters and focused on the lesser known guys. I was quite surprised by the list of poor performing SPs, so much so, that the Gallardo signing is not looking too bad anymore. Well, here is what I found:

Upgrade or bounce back candidate: J.Vargas, Buchholz, B. Norris, Nolasco

Slight Upgrade: Cashner (not a fan due to low Ks), Cahill, H. Santiago, E. Volquez, J. Garcia, Hellickson

The first four would be a clear upgrade IMO although are older. That could be a benefit if we don't have to give a multiyear contract to any of them. I have not heard many people bring up their names as possible targets. What do you think?

The others would probably be an upgrade but may not be worth it if they cannot be signed to a comparable contract. You also have to compare these to Guerra, Wilkerson, Suter, and Woodruff (assuming we add a frontline starter yet). Not sure if the roster spot is worth signing any of them

The other factor here is are they willing to fulfill that role or are they looking for more of a an actual Rotation spot full time which could lead them to signing with a lesser team to get what they want

I think there may not be a need to sign anyone if our purpose is only to upgrade the swingman spot. Just conjecture on my part, but I'm assuming we are going to add at least one starter before we break camp and with Chase, Davies, Chacin, Woodruff, (FA starter), (2nd starter via trade?) ... Suter moves into that swing role and is likely going to give you equal if not better production than those listed and we won't have to spend any cash on them.

I think there may not be a need to sign anyone if our purpose is only to upgrade the swingman spot. Just conjecture on my part, but I'm assuming we are going to add at least one starter before we break camp and with Chase, Davies, Chacin, Woodruff, (FA starter), (2nd starter via trade?) ... Suter moves into that swing role and is likely going to give you equal if not better production than those listed and we won't have to spend any cash on them.

I agree. We have plenty of dumpster dive options on the roster already. Moves that improve the team at the margins are absolutely useless right now. As mentioned, the team needs at least one, if not two, upgrades to the rotation and then this question resolves itself. I am more pessimistic that those upgrades happen but it doesn't change my opinion on acquiring marginal upgrades.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I guess I just figured we have them. We have Gallardo, Guerra, and Suter who all fill that role (hopefully well).

LOCKS:

1. Anderson

2. Davies

3. Chacin

4 & 5:

Woodruff

Suter

Gallardo

Suter

Wilkerson

Plus if we do end up signing a free agent or trading for someone, there is only so much room.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think Matt Garza is still available.

Has he been heard or seen since the end of the season??

I thought I read or saw something that said he needs/needed surgery or something. I am probably confusing him with someone else, but if I wasn't lazy I would just give it a quick google search.

EDIT: According to a yahoo article he is indeed needing surgery. Apparently he pitched through major shoulder issues last year.

I think Matt Garza is still available.

Has he been heard or seen since the end of the season??

I thought I read or saw something that said he needs/needed surgery or something. I am probably confusing him with someone else, but if I wasn't lazy I would just give it a quick google search.

EDIT: According to a yahoo article he is indeed needing surgery. Apparently he pitched through major shoulder issues last year.

What a terrible guy!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Hey John Lackey is still available. I know he led the NL in HR allowed, but the Cubs went 11-3 in his starts after the All Star Game and he had a 3.75 ERA in that stretch. He's certainly not Mr. Personality, but he's as tough a competitor as there is.

Hey John Lackey is still available. I know he led the NL in HR allowed, but the Cubs went 11-3 in his starts after the All Star Game and he had a 3.75 ERA in that stretch. He's certainly not Mr. Personality, but he's as tough a competitor as there is.

I think I'd rather just ride with Woodruff in the five spot at that point.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

It would be worth it to put his locker next to Thames in spring training.

Then drop his butt like a bad transmission in the last cuts.

Archived