Brewer Fanatic

Serviceable Catcher

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of the Big 4 free agents have warts. To be honest, none of them get me excited. Throw in Archer, and if all we have to choose from is those 5, I'd almost rather stay put, and see what is out there at the deadline...

Making a move to make a move could be a BAD move for the Brewers...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

All of the Big 4 free agents have warts. To be honest, none of them get me excited. Throw in Archer, and if all we have to choose from is those 5, I'd almost rather stay put, and see what is out there at the deadline...

Making a move to make a move could be a BAD move for the Brewers...

If they could grab a Patrick Corbin for little return as Arizona tries to shed salary, that's the way I would go over paying a ton for a FA or surrendering a ton of talent for a guy.

Brewer's currently looking at adding a serviceable catcher for whatever that's worth.

This was a quote from HH19's post last night.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/catcher/

This is a list of the remaining free agent catchers.

Assuming HH does have a source, this definitely leads me to believe the reunion of Jonathan Lucroy and the Brewers is more likely than it was 24 hours ago. Every other player on that list is pretty easily argued to not be an upgrade on Pina, Vogt and Bandy. I truly wonder if the Brewers are contemplating this. I believe this would be an excellent move but I know I am in the minority.

Did you guys honestly let some wannabe forum heroes run off the guy who was willing to toss some inside info our way?

It's a shame. He was the only reason I signed up for these forums. Your mods let you all down.

The only people ruining anything at this point are the ones who keep complaining about HH19 in random threads. Unless the mods decide to open up a thread to complain about it stop talking about it.

They have bigger fish to fry other than adding another catcher. If they are going to spend assets that would be about the fourth (or lower) item on my agenda for this team.

Comments like these never make sense. Do you really think that Stearns isn't looking to upgrade every position that he can? I'm guessing he has feelers out for every single position on the team. It is exactly why the Cain transaction happened. It just happened to work out. We have Pina, Vogt, and I guess Bandy. If there is a guy out there that can be had and that is in their price range (money or prospects), Stearns will pull the trigger on it. People are so focused on adding a starting pitcher, which we can all agree that we need, that they don't realize that these GM's don't work that way. At least not a bright and focused one like Stearns.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

any chance that Luc does return or ihas that ship sailed

I don't assume any bridges were burned all the way down, if that is what you are asking.

But, you have to wait to see what money you have left after taking care of the starting pitching. That is step number 1 through 9 on the todo list.

Then making marginal upgrades for half of the catching starts (will Lucroy split time?) and 2B can be looked at, with what budget remains.

Oh, how far we have fallen, from the heady days of High Heat and His Insider Info

To... discussions about serviceable catchers.

Hearing the crickets. Watching the paint dry, the grass grow.

Don't worry folks, I'm just having fun. Not making a dig at anybody.

They have bigger fish to fry other than adding another catcher. If they are going to spend assets that would be about the fourth (or lower) item on my agenda for this team.

Comments like these never make sense. Do you really think that Stearns isn't looking to upgrade every position that he can? I'm guessing he has feelers out for every single position on the team. It is exactly why the Cain transaction happened. It just happened to work out. We have Pina, Vogt, and I guess Bandy. If there is a guy out there that can be had and that is in their price range (money or prospects), Stearns will pull the trigger on it. People are so focused on adding a starting pitcher, which we can all agree that we need, that they don't realize that these GM's don't work that way. At least not a bright and focused one like Stearns.

Well, a comment like yours makes no sense to me so there ya go.

Do you really think a "bright and focused" GM goes into the off-season and pulls the trigger on a deal that "just happens to work out"? The Cain signing was lined up well before the Yelich deal was pulled off. That is a PLAN my friend, not happen stance. In my opinion it's naive to think that a GM is just going to fling assets at the next shiny object that improves the team at the margins because it "fits their price". There is a concept called opportunity cost that I guarantee any GM worth his salt is very familiar with. What if you sign a catcher for $2M and then find out you could have gotten Darvish for an extra $2M? A good GM absolutely has a priority list the same as any project manager would. They do not have unlimited resources so prioritization is absolutely critical. So yes, they have bigger fish to fry than going after a marginal upgrade at catcher.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Well, a comment like yours makes no sense to me so there ya go.

Do you really think a "bright and focused" GM goes into the off-season and pulls the trigger on a deal that "just happens to work out"? The Cain signing was lined up well before the Yelich deal was pulled off. That is a PLAN my friend, not happen stance. In my opinion it's naive to think that a GM is just going to fling assets at the next shiny object that improves the team at the margins because it "fits their price". There is a concept called opportunity cost that I guarantee any GM worth his salt is very familiar with. What if you sign a catcher for $2M and then find out you could have gotten Darvish for an extra $2M? A good GM absolutely has a priority list the same as any project manager would. They do not have unlimited resources so prioritization is absolutely critical. So yes, they have bigger fish to fry than going after a marginal upgrade at catcher.

I agree that an upgrade at catcher may not be high on the Crew's priority list, though FWIW, HH19 did say that was somewhere on the list of Brewer FO priorities.

I for one do NOT want Lucroy back. He was a bum. We made him the face of the franchise and he was quick to diss us to the media. Not to mention, some the the pitchers didnt like him at all. I am glad we granted his wished and sent him to a contender only for him to fail. Maybe he was humbled over the past year and realized he is not as great as he thought. But I wouldnt take that chance with the club that we have.

Say we get a SP from FA decide against trading for another SP. That could mean Santana could be used to trade for an upgrade at Catcher. How would people think a Santana to Cleveland for Meija work? It's possible (probable?) Meija would be ready to split duties by mid/late 2018. It would only be an upgrade for half a season (if that) but it could be one heck of an upgrade if he pans out. Would Santana for Meija be 1:1 or would someone need to add a prospect / offload a contract (Kipnis) or is the trade not possible. I would absolutely love to find a way to get Meija into the brewer organization.

Say we get a SP from FA decide against trading for another SP. That could mean Santana could be used to trade for an upgrade at Catcher. How would people think a Santana to Cleveland for Meija work? It's possible (probable?) Meija would be ready to split duties by mid/late 2018. It would only be an upgrade for half a season (if that) but it could be one heck of an upgrade if he pans out. Would Santana for Meija be 1:1 or would someone need to add a prospect / offload a contract (Kipnis) or is the trade not possible. I would absolutely love to find a way to get Meija into the brewer organization.

Well, I think Mejia wold be more than a marginal upgrade honestly. That might fit into a different category than what I was talking about. But yes, getting the pitcher first is a priority.

Here's a thought... and I apologize if someone else has already speculated this...

What if either Pina or Vogt is being included as a part of a package in trade discussions with other teams?

Let's be honest - how many people here think of Bandy as even "serviceable" right now? If you trade one of those two then a "serviceable catcher" becomes much more interesting as a FA - perhaps to hold down the position until Nottingham arrives (I know, people here doubt him but it sounds like the FO still holds out hope) or another young catcher they might be talking about acquiring (one whom they feel is possibly still a year away from the majors).

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Here's a thought... and I apologize if someone else has already speculated this...

What if either Pina or Vogt is being included as a part of a package in trade discussions with other teams?

Let's be honest - how many people here think of Bandy as even "serviceable" right now? If you trade one of those two then a "serviceable catcher" becomes much more interesting as a FA - perhaps to hold down the position until Nottingham arrives (I know, people here doubt him but it sounds like the FO still holds out hope) or another young catcher they might be talking about acquiring (one whom they feel is possibly still a year away from the majors).

It's definitely possible. I don't know how much value Pina would have. I also don't think he makes a ton of sense in a deal to tampa considering they have Ramos, though he will be a free agent after this year. I personally would rather hold onto Pina, in addition to his breakout I suspect his game calling plays some part in the success of our pitching staff. I would agree it's possible one of the two is being shopped...likely Pina as he probably has more value.

Have we really heard anything about them not being happy with Pina? I feel the opposite is probably true. He could drop off a bit offensively and still be an important part of the club.

Have we really heard anything about them not being happy with Pina? I feel the opposite is probably true. He could drop off a bit offensively and still be an important part of the club.

Oh I agree, but if another team says "we'll give you the starting pitcher you want in exchange for [insert list of players]", and Pina is one of those players in the package that they want, do you say no? Probably not...

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Oh I agree, but if another team says "we'll give you the starting pitcher you want in exchange for [insert list of players]", and Pina is one of those players in the package that they want, do you say no? Probably not...

Nope, you are absolutely correct. I was just trying to consider how valuable Pina really is to the teams we have been connected to. He may have more value to the Brewers than anyone else we would theoretically be engaged with.

Archived