Brewer Fanatic

2B Targets

Jkromb

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Neil Walker if the price is right.

2. If they dont get Walker they likely ride out Villar and Sogard. If Villar and Sogard are horrid they will make a move at mid-season like last year.

3. It is also possible that if Hiura is tearing the cover off the ball they bring him up in August of 2018. 2019 is more likely for Hiura but if his bat is as advanced as many scouts have told me, late 2018 is not ridiculous. I think the trade of Isan Diaz shows how much confidence the Brewers have in Hiura.

I was going to ask if you guys thought Hiura could make the team out of Spring Training.. if he tears the cover off the ball right away, do you think he can do it? the glove is decent enough and his said ETA is 2019, so i dont see why not..

I was going to ask if you guys thought Hiura could make the team out of Spring Training.. if he tears the cover off the ball right away, do you think he can do it? the glove is decent enough and his said ETA is 2019, so i dont see why not..

I guess never say never, but I would think this is about 99.9% never.

No chance.

He could hit .500 in spring training and wouldn't get an ounce of consideration for the opening day roster. He's a fast track candidate but at this point hasn't played above A ball.

Best case scenario for him is to split time between High A and AA this year, start in AAA next year, and get a June or July 2019 call-up to not count 2019 as a full service year for him.

The worst thing the Brewers could do is to shove Hiura into the MLB after spring break or ever next season. Financially and for his development, it just would not be a smart move for the Brewers. Let the guy develop a bit. I mean, he's had 187 plate appearances as a pro.

As for targets? Unless they can trade Santana, none. If they add Walker, all that would do is jam things up even more than they already are. Hope Villar and Sogard can get their magic back is about it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The worst thing the Brewers could do is to shove Hiura into the MLB after spring break or ever next season. Financially and for his development, it just would not be a smart move for the Brewers. Let the guy develop a bit. I mean, he's had 187 plate appearances as a pro.

As for targets? Unless they can trade Santana, none. If they add Walker, all that would do is jam things up even more than they already are. Hope Villar and Sogard can get their magic back is about it.

If the Brewers add Walker I would think that Villar or Sogard get the Scooter Gennett treatment. Trade one to whoever will pay the salary.

So is August the earliest this happens?

As others have said. Hiura has not taken an at-bat above the Low-A level. He likely splits time at High A and AA this year. If his stats are ridiculous I think the Brewers could consider him in late 2018. However, in order to keep his clock from starting, May-July of 2019 seems much more likely, assuming he doesn't hit slags at high A or AA.

As far as Hiura, there's an outside chance he could force his way by August/September...but even then I don't know. He'll probably open in high A, he'd probably have to hit like crazy the entire season to have a chance. He's certainly a talented guy. I'm kinda anticipating him mashing high A, getting a quick promotion, and running into a bit of adversity in AA. I don't see him as a complete player ready to play at the MLB level just yet.

As for 2b targets, aiming high would be Walker/Kipnis...and I think it's more likely than unlikely that we get one of those 2 guys. If we can't get them, I think we roll with inhouse options. Those are the only 2 guys I see available that are good enough to push the upside of villar to the bench. Harrison isn't good enough, castro isn't good enough.

I think even if Hiura excels, the earliest he gets to Milwaukee is 2019 - remember that while the bat may already be good enough for the show, he spent a good portion of his collegiate career as a DH due to throwing arm issues...he needs seasoning in the minors to play viable 2B defense, or enough reps for the organization to know he needs to be given a different position.

I agree that what made Diaz "expendable" was a combination of his roster status and Hiura likely breathing down his neck as a better 2B prospect. Walker and/or Kipnis would be ideal fits if the Brewers don't want to roll with a Villar/Sogard 2b situation in 2018.

Anyone have video of Rickie Weeks first few months of playing 2B for the Brewers when he was brought up with his glove not ready? It was ugly. A guy needs to be able to play defense and he can't do the "learning" on the big club that wants to contend.

I don't think anyone has a feel for how good or bad he is at 2b. Hard to pass judgement on whether he'll be better or worse than Weeks until then. It is reasonable to question whether his defense will be ready in 2018 though regardless of the bat.

Jurickson Profar

I still believe in him as a major league starter. He’s been unable to get consistent playing time being blocked by Andrus and Odor so I don’t put too much into his recent major league numbers and he shouldn’t cost much in trade. He had an OPS in the mid-.800s in AAA last year I believe and had more walks than strikeouts. Oh, and throw some slick fielding in there. Yup.

Jurickson Profar

I still believe in him as a major league starter. He’s been unable to get consistent playing time being blocked by Andrus and Odor so I don’t put too much into his recent major league numbers and he shouldn’t cost much in trade. He had an OPS in the mid-.800s in AAA last year I believe and had more walks than strikeouts. Oh, and throw some slick fielding in there. Yup.

While many clubs have noted the blocked path of Profar, the Rangers asking price (so far) has been reported as much higher than expected.

I noticed on MLB Network last night there was speculation that the Rangers might be a dealing away team at the trade deadline. If so, Profar might be a guy that slots into a created vacancy or a part expected to bring back necessary pieces as part of rebuild...

HH said we're high on Kipnis, so my prediction is we acquire Kipnis and Salazar for Santana.

Then I predict a deal will not get done.

Consider a post from the DSantana thread last week

From the MLBTR live chat today

https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live ... -2968.html

Steve

5:19 Brewers trade Domingo Santana and a prospect to Indians for Danny Salazar..fair trade?

Jason Martinez

5:22 Depends on the prospect, I guess. I've been curious about corner OFs being connected to the Indians. Brantley is back. He'll be in LF. Chisenhall missed half the season, but had an .881 OPS and 12 HR. He's the RF. Santana might be an upgrade, but he also might not be. So why trade Salazar for him?

So Jason Martinez a 3rd party non-fan of Brewers or Indians is confirming that it takes Santana plus to get Salazar.

Now we look to add in Kipnis. Even if his entire contract is picked up by the Brewers, he is not a negative value. Yes, his value decreases the more the Brewers take on, but in the end it doesn't enter the negative area.

Hence the Brewer prospect is either upgraded (to a higher/ better level) or a 2nd prospect gets added.

Now HH19 yesterday had noted a sizable trade was stuck due to one player & neither side was budging. I could easily see that being a deal with Cleveland.

Many fans expressed happiness that DS was sticking to his guns & being a tough negotiator. I'm fine with DS holding his ground. He is looking to make the best deal possible for the Brewers. I expect every GM is looking to make the best deal for his team. DS is valuing at one level. Cleveland (or the other team) is valuing at a different level. Eventually a deal gets made or the sides walk away & look for other trade partners. The biggest concern is that a relationship is not completely ripped up so the sides can work together in the future.

HH said we're high on Kipnis, so my prediction is we acquire Kipnis and Salazar for Santana.

Then I predict a deal will not get done.

Consider a post from the DSantana thread last week

From the MLBTR live chat today

https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live ... -2968.html

Steve

5:19 Brewers trade Domingo Santana and a prospect to Indians for Danny Salazar..fair trade?

Jason Martinez

5:22 Depends on the prospect, I guess. I've been curious about corner OFs being connected to the Indians. Brantley is back. He'll be in LF. Chisenhall missed half the season, but had an .881 OPS and 12 HR. He's the RF. Santana might be an upgrade, but he also might not be. So why trade Salazar for him?

So Jason Martinez a 3rd party non-fan of Brewers or Indians is confirming that it takes Santana plus to get Salazar.

Now we look to add in Kipnis. Even if his entire contract is picked up by the Brewers, he is not a negative value. Yes, his value decreases the more the Brewers take on, but in the end it doesn't enter the negative area.

Hence the Brewer prospect is either upgraded (to a higher/ better level) or a 2nd prospect gets added.

Now HH19 yesterday had noted a sizable trade was stuck due to one player & neither side was budging. I could easily see that being a deal with Cleveland.

Many fans expressed happiness that DS was sticking to his guns & being a tough negotiator. I'm fine with DS holding his ground. He is looking to make the best deal possible for the Brewers. I expect every GM is looking to make the best deal for his team. DS is valuing at one level. Cleveland (or the other team) is valuing at a different level. Eventually a deal gets made or the sides walk away & look for other trade partners. The biggest concern is that a relationship is not completely ripped up so the sides can work together in the future.

"My other target for the #Indians this offseason would be Domingo Santana of the #Brewers. I think he would fit very nicely in the Tribe's outfield. He hits right-handed and has upside remaining. Again-Salazar plus two a prospect may begin some valid discussions."

Pleskoff isn't the greatest source, but he's a decent baseball guy and sees Santana having more value than Salazar. I think those putting Salazar ahead of Santana are ignoring significant injury history/risk.

"My other target for the #Indians this offseason would be Domingo Santana of the #Brewers. I think he would fit very nicely in the Tribe's outfield. He hits right-handed and has upside remaining. Again-Salazar plus two a prospect may begin some valid discussions."

Pleskoff isn't the greatest source, but he's a decent baseball guy and sees Santana having more value than Salazar. I think those putting Salazar ahead of Santana are ignoring significant injury history/risk.

Could be Bauer instead of Salazar.

Yes Bernie is a decent baseball guy but your taking a quote from Dec 2017 when (in absence of other options) the cost to get a player like Domingo Santana would have been higher. Now people have looked at Santana in greater detail & the Brewers impacted (lowered) his value by geting Yelich & Cain.

It comes down this: Both players are with risks & flaws. Both are under team control for the same length of time (2018 plus 3 more seasons). The value of pitching is higher than the value of hitting/ power as we just had a record number of home runs hit & 117 players hit 20 or more homers (41 hit for 30+ homers) in the 2017 regular season.

Archived