Brewer Fanatic

Aaron Sanchez

I know that a lot of Brewer fans would love to land Marcus Stroman from the Blue Jays.

Problem is, they also probably wouldn't want to give up what it would cost to get him (even if available).

How about targeting a "Buy Low" candidate in Aaron Sanchez?

The Brewers are aware the the Blue Jays lost out on the Yelich sweepstakes, so we already know that the Blue Jays are looking for a controllable outfielder. Enter Domingo Santana.

I know Aaron Sanchez has been inconsistent and injury prone but I really believe he could be a #2 type-starter. I think he has a better arm than Chase Anderson, for example.

Here's a start of a trade proposal to throw out there:

Brewers get:

RHP Aaron Sanchez

2B Devon Travis

Blue Jays get:

OF Domingo Santana

RHP Brandon Woodruff

Pieces could be added or subtracted from either side but I think a Sanchez/Santana headlining trade could work if the Blue Jays are open to it.

I'd do Woodruff for Sanchez without hesitation. Ace stuff and controlled through 2020.

Eh. I don't agree with ace stuff. I'd certainly be tempted though. Pretty close to ace results for a while, but a fair amount of missed time. 2016 was the only time he's thrown more than 100 innings. I'm sure they were just babying him up until then, but raising his innings by 90% seems like it probably hurt him. He's pretty scary in my book.

I doubt either of Sanchez or Stroman are available at this point.

Yeah, even if the Jays decide to rebuild or semi-rebuild, those two could anchor their rotation for a long time.

If the Jays falter early, they are probably better served to re-tool than rebuild. Trade Donaldson, estrada, happ at the deadline as rentals...they can certainly get some good value, especially for Donaldson. Beyond those guys, they have a solid core that won't hit free agency until 2021. It's also amazing how much payroll is going to come off the books for that team after this year. They might have $70-80 million to work with, and should be able to use that to acquire high end SP and gear up for a 2 year run with their current core. If I'm their GM, I see how the first half plays off and sell off the rentals if I falter for prospects, but keep stroman/sanchez etc and spend big on FA. They'll also get more info on some of their super prospects(guerrero/bichette) and see how soon those guys can contribute. It's a bit of a shame on their end that they don't have a bit more payroll wiggle room...they'd have a real shot to contend if they could bring in Arrieta or Darvish.

Archived