Brewer Fanatic

Todd Frazier signs with Mets - 2 yrs / $17 mil

Eye Black

Per Ken Rosenthal...

Mets in agreement with free-agent 3B Todd Frazier on two-year, $17M contract, sources tell The Athletic. Pending a physical.

He had been projected by some to get 3 years for somewhere between $11 to $14 million AAV, so this is significantly less.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Many players (and agents) better get prepared for reset of salary expectations, if they haven’t that’s on the agent. Big big big win for the owners this off-season. They are going to save hundreds of millions of dollars in bad contracts and tax penalties, if FA continue down this path.

Frazier is exactly the low BA, low OBP, high SLUG, little to no DEF player that shouldn't be getting big bucks. He and Mark Reynolds match up pretty well offensively and defensively, although Mark is 2 years older, and Mark isn't even a lock to get a MLB deal.

I think most people (and the advanced metrics) consider Frazier a plus defender at 3B. Great deal for the Mets. Frazier's 2016 is the poster child for how empty a 40 HR batting line can be though.

I was reading that Frazier took less to be closer to his home in NJ. Supposedly his taste of playing with the Yankees stoked that and he was driving the desire to stay in NY. Makes sense if he took less to play with the Mets. Sometimes money isn't the main driver.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

I was reading that Frazier took less to be closer to his home in NJ. Supposedly his taste of playing with the Yankees stoked that and he was driving the desire to stay in NY. Makes sense if he took less to play with the Mets. Sometimes money isn't the main driver.

But i don’t get why the Yankees wouldn’t have jumped at this price or even just a bit over to get him.

Archived