Brewer Fanatic

Designated Hitter in the National League? (Post #144: Proposed for 2020 Shortened Season)

Eye Black

Should the National League adopt the Designated Hitter?  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should the National League adopt the Designated Hitter?

• No, I do not want the DH in the National League.
    • Yes, I am in favor of the DH in the National League.

I think Braun will end up being the DH the majority of the games. This'll help keep Braun's bat in the lineup and keep him from wearing down. Instead of only playing 4-5 games a week he can play close to every game and only play the field sparingly. That way you have Yelich/Cain/Garcia with Gamel as the primary backup in the OF and split 1B between Smoak/Gyorko/Holt.

Yup, this...

Not to say Braun can't hurt himself as a DH, he seems delicate at times, so it is entirely possible he still hits the DL a couple times during the season, but it should at the very least cut down his chances.

Someone said it above, Braun DH majority of games, if not all, Garcia, Cain and Yelich cover the OF with Gamel covering on needed days off.

Looks good to me.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was discussing this with a body this morning. I believe Counsell is one of the best managers in the league, and I don't think it is because I am looking through rose colored Brewer goggles. I would never have said this about the managers in the 25 years prior. Anyway, my comment was anything that takes away strategy is not good for the Crew, because I think Counsell's in game moves are superior to most managers.

Considering they were planning to move Braun back to RF it would be pretty major for the 2020 Brewers. He was notably brutal there compared to LF and I doubt he got better with age. It also keeps him a bit healthier, which lets be honest, he needs these days.

I think it would be fairly beneficial for us compared to other NL teams. It would definitely help out some other teams too.

Remember the DH hurts weaker pitching staffs. The Brewers are one of the weaker starting staffs and the pen is questionable right now. I think it hurts more than helps the Crew because they had the makings of a very good bench and have a lot of versatility. The DH takes away most of the double moves thus making the bench less relevant.

it's possible with the potential 2020 abbreviated season.

certainly gives the brewers an advantage with ryan braun playing the majority of his games as a designated hitter (and giving lorenzo cain a spell from time to time).

And give Keston Hiura's elbow a rest here and there too.

It's a small amount of games, Im not too worried on who bats DH and how big an advantage or disadvantage it will be. Braun seems the true fit. Hiura a fit if we're looking at Urias at 2b and Arcia SS. Really it probably fills itself out most of the time via somebody partially injured who can bat but playing defense becomes an issue.

When it comes to pitching, gone would be a decision pulling your starter for a critical early game at bat gamble. Something I wonder on having the pitchers throw 100pitches/6+IP in start. They're not going to come close to 150IP much less 200IP. Could even be talking 110-115pitches. Forget the statistics and let a guy throwing a shutout-2run game go out for another Inning. Id actually really like CC to do that this season with guys like Lauer, Houser, Peralta, Burnes if he reached SP level. Gain the experience oc throwing deep in a game on a high pitch count and see the true results vs the statistical projection. I have no care really what the team's W/L record will be this year. It's a throwaway season. The only gratification I could give towards a team winning the WS is that team did so on like a .700+ record. Just dominated. They play say 66games and win 35 and make the playoffs all the way to a WS, huge meh Asterisk. It will always be exclaimed the Covid19 season luck accomplishment. I'd have to actually be rooting for a tank season because what is the draft class going to look like in 2021? Seeing as it's gotta include bonus talent, what 1.6? times the normal draft pool? There'll be guys with 4th-6th round potential in this draft who wont be drafted and get a year to maybe improve velo a tick a two or add power that make them a 1st rd draft grade besides all the 1st rd draft grades that the 2021 class was going to have. Add in what is the situation by 2021 with Internationals and the draft?

• 1 month later...
reportedly the dh will be used in the national league for the 2020 and 2021 seasons.

Which also means it will be almost certain that it will be in the next CBA. The writing was already on the wall that the DH would be introduced to the NL as early as 2022 with the next CBA but now it is basically going to happen.

I think this will be good for the sport and might bring in some younger fans. The game still needs to be sped up a bit but this is a step in the right direction for MLB.

Verified Member

Stearns has been using his time machine again I see. And people were saying he signed too many OF. :)

CF Cain

2B Hiura

LF Yelich

1B Smoak

DH Braun

RF Garcia

C Narvaez

3B Gyorko

SS Urias

That's looking pretty good indeed.

Stearns has been using his time machine again I see. And people were saying he signed too many OF. :)

CF Cain

2B Hiura

LF Yelich

1B Smoak

DH Braun

RF Garcia

C Narvaez

3B Gyorko

SS Urias

That's looking pretty good indeed.

I like it. Especially when you then consider the extended rosters and the matchups you can play with at the bottom of the lineup (3B - Gyorko/Holt/Sogard, SS - Urias/Sogard/Holt/Arcia). Let's go!

Ready to go 70-0 let's gooooo!!!!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Ready to go 70-0 let's gooooo!!!!

Really? With soon to be 32 year old Jedd Gyroko (.174/.248/.250 in 2019) as the starting 3B?

You're right, will probably have to settle for 69-1.

I'm not betting against 70-0. They have already made it to June 18th without a loss and I'd bet that continues on into July.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

I really like pitchers hitting, I think it adds to game strategy especially late in games, managers contemplating over that decision to ph with a runner on or to let the pitcher hit because he’s of great value in upcoming inning/s. It’s a perfect example of why Joe Maddon is back in the AL. He was terrible at late innings pitcher management

I really like pitchers hitting, I think it adds to game strategy especially late in games, managers contemplating over that decision to ph with a runner on or to let the pitcher hit because he’s of great value in upcoming inning/s. It’s a perfect example of why Joe Maddon is back in the AL. He was terrible at late innings pitcher management

With starting pitchers going fewer & fewer innings to avoid the 3rd time through the order, these situations are becoming increasingly rare already.

Last year NL pinch hitters batted 224/310/397 (84 wRC+), essentially the same as Manny Pina 228/313/411 (87 wRC+).

Sure, that's worlds better than almost every pitcher, but still a a pretty easy out in most instances.

As long as we don’t have Jesse Levis DH for us again, I’m happy

[sarcasm]Do you think we could get Tony gwynn jr back?[/sarcasm]

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

• 1 year later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Impress your friends in 10 years.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

What have the Angels been doing when Ohtani pitches? Can't imagine they use the DH. So we're going to have a pitcher batting for years yet.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

What have the Angels been doing when Ohtani pitches? Can't imagine they use the DH. So we're going to have a pitcher batting for years yet.

the factoid is "traditional" pitcher.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Eh, I'm not buying that qualification. It's not like he's a gimmick pitcher. He's just a pitcher that hits well enough to play on days he doesn't pitch.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21