Brewer Fanatic

2018 Fantasy Baseball Thread

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

New year new thread.

Any sleepers out there?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• 2 weeks later...

Keeper League

I can pick 2 of the 3 starters listed below. Which 2 would you pick?

deGrom

Syndergaard

Bumgarner

I pretty much know what I'd like to do, but like to hear other's opinions.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Keeper League

I can pick 2 of the 3 starters listed below. Which 2 would you pick?

deGrom

Syndergaard

Bumgarner

I pretty much know what I'd like to do, but like to hear other's opinions.

Easy.

East has 1 Playoff team and 3 rebuilders

West has 3 Playoff teams and 1 rebuilder.

Take my chances on the favorable matchups with the Mets duo

This is my first real go at a fantasy baseball league, I inherited a team from a guy who is no longer playing, its a head to head league and you MUST keep 10 players from the year before and cannot exceed $75mil based on last years salaries. Every mil I go over $65m is an extra $10 on my entry fee.

Batters 2017 Salary

Yasmani Grandal LAD - C $5,500,000.00

Justin Smoak Tor - 1B $4,125,000.00

Robinson Canó Sea - 2B $24,000,000.00

Anthony Rendon Was - 3B $5,800,000.00

Francisco Lindor Cle - SS $579,300.00

Adam Duvall Cin - OF $577,500.00

Eddie Rosario Min - OF $552,500.00

Adam Jones Bal - OF $16,333,333.00

Didi Gregorius NYY - SS $5,100,000.00

Eugenio Suárez Cin - 3B $595,000.00

Hanley Ramirez Bos - 1B $22,750,000.00

Josh Harrison Pit - 2B,3B,OF $10,250,000.00

Brett Gardner NYY - OF $12,500,000.00

Bryce Harper Was - OF $21,625,000.00

Dustin Pedroia Bos - 2B $15,125,000.00

Víctor Robles Was - OF $535,000.00

Pitchers

Zack Greinke Ari - SP $34,000,000.00

Blake Snell TB - SP $545,000.00

Jeurys Familia NYM - RP $7,425,000.00

Blake Treinen Oak - RP $563,700.00

Sonny Gray NYY - SP $3,575,000.00

Zach Davies Mil - SP $546,200.00

Alex Colomé TB - RP $547,900.00

Tyler Mahle Cin - SP $535,000.00

Marcus Stroman Tor - SP $3,400,000.00

Jake Odorizzi TB - SP $4,100,000.00

Danny Duffy KC - SP,RP $5,000,000.00

Brandon McCarthy LAD - SP $11,500,000.00

My initial thoughts are keeping these:

Keepers

Bryce Harper Was - OF  $21,625,000.00

Francisco Lindor Cle - SS  $579,300.00

Anthony Rendon Was - 3B  $5,800,000.00

Adam Duvall Cin - OF  $577,500.00

$68,348,400.00

Ill have to give this a look over, but clearly above poster missed Stroman. Id have to see the under 1mil guys with value.

1st thing I notice is OFs a plenty. So how does this League work with the salary and roster construction? How many OFs are you allowed?

2 questionable 1b and 1 Catcher. So Im curious how this works?

What happens for draft day? Are you on a spending limit then? Or are you free to pick whomever wasnt kept regardless the cost?

May be the difference between keeping Grienke over a 600k guy. If it doesnt matter on future salary youre focusing on the 10best possible to keep within your 65-75mil range. If you do have a salary cap, then Id consider not keeping Grienke. But again thats if I find 10 worth to keep.

Stroman&Harper are easy along with Lindor. Duffy for 5mil would seem logical as a mid-range lower salary value.

Find out the health/OD status to guys like Snell/Robles. Colome seems a cheap Saves option, but the Rays are tanking it appears.

Give us more to suggest on. What stats are counted for matchups?

This salary thing is intriguing to learn more about

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Curious how others prefer fantasy leagues handle Ohtani?

I think our league gives him hitting points if he's a hitter and pitching points if he's a pitcher. But it only counts based on how he starts the game - so if he starts as a pitcher and also hits you don't get his hitting points and vice versa.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewcrewdue80, sorry for not providing enough information but thanks for taking a look!

So pre-draft we have to keep 10 of our current players, we have a cap of $65mil based on last years payroll and a hard cap of $75mil (cannot exceed), for every 1 mil I go over 65 I will owe another $10 on top of my entry fee.

Post keeper selection everything is fair game, snake type draft from there without salary considerations of the remaining players that were not kept. From my understanding typical stat categories for a head to head league.

The obvious keeps include Harper, Lindor, Colome, Stroman. I would also keep Robles, Grandal, Gray, Gregorious, Rendon, Jones. This is assuming of course you can fit both Lindor and Gregorious in your lineup easily or can easily trade one. This keeps you under $65 million so no additional entry fee.

Maybe I should throw my situation out there in a different way. I get to keep 6 of these 7 players. I know keeping 6 starting pitchers is a bit redundant, but I have no offensive keepers to speak of, so I play on my strengths. I have won this league the last 4 seasons based on my pitching. I am always able to draft a solid offense while others are scrambling for pitching. Having 6 starters is never a problem since there is always someone hurt. (Syndergaard and deGrom) Keep in mind, the object of a keeper league is to keep guys that will not only help you in the upcoming season, but future seasons as well.

So I will be keeping 6 of these 7 players:

1. Kershaw

2. Scherzer

3. Sale

4. deGrom

5. Syndergaard

6. Severino

7. Bumgarner

Personally I like to minimize risk. Having both deGrom and Syndergaard is risky as they both can have down years (at least for Wins if thats one of your stats) if the Mets offense underperforms. I would pick one of the 2 and based on Syndergaard lighting it up during his first start in Spring Training he has a higher injury risk than deGrom. Just my 2c...

I'm looking for an active owner for a keeper team on YAHOO. 12 teams, keep 7, fantasy point scoring. FREE, no fees of any kind, we play for bragging rights only! League is very active.

Straight fantasy points, not head 2 head, not rotisserie, just most points wins the league.

The players to choose from are as follows:

Freddie Freeman

Donaldson

Ryan Braun

Cespedes

Jean Segura

Lamb

Nola

Urena

Knebel

Bauer

Samarddzija

This is probably not a team that is built to win NOW, however, with a good draft, it could compete soon. Might be a "project" team.

Let me know if interested!

zacharytony@hotmail.com

Puke! I would not want any more than like four of those players tops. That team will not compete today, tomorrow or even next year. Why not do a keeper league but re-draft every years to keep things from getting stale and to give everybody an equal chance to draft good players and win?

Puke! I would not want any more than like four of those players tops. That team will not compete today, tomorrow or even next year. Why not do a keeper league but re-draft every years to keep things from getting stale and to give everybody an equal chance to draft good players and win?

Thanks. Geez.

The reason people like to play keeper leagues is so they can enjoy the fruits of their labor by keeping players that they built their teams around. If I spend a few years building a team up, I certainly don't want to re-draft at any time. Keeper leagues are in it for the long haul, not to please those with no attention span, or that mess up their rosters. The league is strong throughout except for that one team, and that owner is finally gone.

The team above was owned by a bad owner for the past few years. He was bad at drafting, bad at evaluating talent, and has routinely finished at the bottom. I was actually relieved that he was leaving so I can try to get someone who might enjoy the challenge to build that team, practically from scratch.

There may only be 4 players worth keeping, but building a pitching staff around Nola and Urina is a pretty good start. I did mention that it would be a "project" team, and whether you realize it or not, there are people out there who play fantasy sports that like the challenge of building a team, and enjoying the success down the road. I've done it before, and it is satisfying for the fantasy enthusiast.

By the way, the league has been running since 2008, has had almost no turn-over, and is a lot of fun. This isn't a fly by night league where people show up to draft, don't like their draft, and leave. I have had to replace probably 2 or 3 teams in that span, which is pretty damn good.

Congratulations on getting somebody to take that team and join your league.

That being said, I will pretend that last ignorant comment of “some people do like to work for their success after all” was not aimed towards me.

For the record, I am an avid fantasy baseball player and have won many different leagues under many different scoring systems, so I understand how fantasy baseball works ;)

Take that comment for what it is...

If you understand how fantasy baseball works, then why enter the thread and post nonsense? Filling leagues is sometimes difficult, especially an established keeper league. Your negative comments were completely inappropriate, which you should know if you have ever tried to fill a league.

Puke! Seriously?

We both know that was a less than ideal team to have as a foundation for a fantasy keeper league. I wouldn’t want it and if you were being honest with yourself, you probably wouldn’t either. Just expressing what most were probably thinking. Grow up and stop being mock offended. Move on.

Now, to get this thread back on track ...

Really looking for Robbie Ray and Tommie Pham to repeat and maybe even improve on their crazy seasons last year. Especially Ray, even to the point of unseating Greinke as the team’s ace. I will draft him ahead of Greinke as a matter of fact.

Masahiro Tanaka will bounce back and be better than Luis Severino.

Otani will surprise as a pitcher but be only an average (at best) hitter.

I am sad that my favorite low round sleeper, Drew Smyly, will spend most of this season recovering.

We both know that was a less than ideal team to have as a foundation for a fantasy keeper league. I wouldn’t want it and if you were being honest with yourself, you probably wouldn’t either. Just expressing what most were probably thinking. Grow up and stop being mock offended. Move on.

I don't know that I could have been any more clear on what I thought of the team. I said:

"This is probably not a team that is built to win NOW, however, with a good draft, it could compete soon. Might be a "project" team."

Your comments were still inappropriate, and I have no idea where your hostility comes from.

Maybe I should throw my situation out there in a different way. I get to keep 6 of these 7 players. I know keeping 6 starting pitchers is a bit redundant, but I have no offensive keepers to speak of, so I play on my strengths. I have won this league the last 4 seasons based on my pitching. I am always able to draft a solid offense while others are scrambling for pitching. Having 6 starters is never a problem since there is always someone hurt. (Syndergaard and deGrom) Keep in mind, the object of a keeper league is to keep guys that will not only help you in the upcoming season, but future seasons as well.

So I will be keeping 6 of these 7 players:

1. Kershaw

2. Scherzer

3. Sale

4. deGrom

5. Syndergaard

6. Severino

7. Bumgarner

Hmm, tough call. Can you trade one pre-draft? I guess I'd choose to let Syndergaard go, based on durability/injury concern.

This is my first real go at a fantasy baseball league, I inherited a team from a guy who is no longer playing, its a head to head league and you MUST keep 10 players from the year before and cannot exceed $75mil based on last years salaries. Every mil I go over $65m is an extra $10 on my entry fee.

Batters 2017 Salary

Yasmani Grandal LAD - C $5,500,000.00

Justin Smoak Tor - 1B $4,125,000.00

Robinson Canó Sea - 2B $24,000,000.00

Anthony Rendon Was - 3B $5,800,000.00

Francisco Lindor Cle - SS $579,300.00

Adam Duvall Cin - OF $577,500.00

Adam Jones Bal - OF $16,333,333.00

Didi Gregorius NYY - SS $5,100,000.00

Eugenio Suárez Cin - 3B $595,000.00

Hanley Ramirez Bos - 1B $22,750,000.00

Josh Harrison Pit - 2B,3B,OF $10,250,000.00

Brett Gardner NYY - OF $12,500,000.00

Bryce Harper Was - OF $21,625,000.00

Dustin Pedroia Bos - 2B $15,125,000.00

Víctor Robles Was - OF $535,000.00

Pitchers

Jeurys Familia NYM - RP $7,425,000.00

Blake Treinen Oak - RP $563,700.00

Tyler Mahle Cin - SP $535,000.00

Marcus Stroman Tor - SP $3,400,000.00

Jake Odorizzi TB - SP $4,100,000.00

Danny Duffy KC - SP,RP $5,000,000.00

Brandon McCarthy LAD - SP $11,500,000.00

Interesting league setup. Haven't seen one like that before.

I think I'd go:

Harper

Stroman

Gray

Lindor

Rosario

Suarez

Robles

Colome

Snell

Greinke

Just trying to formulate a roto auction draft strategy for this season. I usually play for a pretty balanced team and basically try to just get the most value and don't get too creative. Without getting into too much detail I play in a 13 team very competitive/active league. A couple teams go hitting heavy, other's do a 'stars and scrubs' approach, many just try to balance things out. Every once in a while a team will try to go pitching heavy. I'm thinking about going that route this year.

My question to the group is, for those of you that participate in auction drafts are there any strategies that you find more/less successful? Just looking for mostly a generic discussion without much detail given to league specifics, although I DO realize that has an big influence on how you'd draft. There's just to many different leagues/rules to get too much involved there.

Last season I had about 20% of my budget locked into Miggy and Greg Polanco and never could recover. As I said, I'm thinking about trying a pitching heavy approach as typically higher end pitchers can be bought for close to what real value would be and high end bats are typically inflated.

That said, regardless of draft type who do people like as mid to late round/valued offensive types? As of now my target list includes: Eddie Rosario, Mazara, Margot, Kiermaier, Greg Bird, Willie Calhoun, Matt Olson, Villar. Who else should I add to that list?

Thanks. Geez.

The reason people like to play keeper leagues is so they can enjoy the fruits of their labor by keeping players that they built their teams around. If I spend a few years building a team up, I certainly don't want to re-draft at any time. Keeper leagues are in it for the long haul, not to please those with no attention span, or that mess up their rosters. The league is strong throughout except for that one team, and that owner is finally gone.

The team above was owned by a bad owner for the past few years. He was bad at drafting, bad at evaluating talent, and has routinely finished at the bottom. I was actually relieved that he was leaving so I can try to get someone who might enjoy the challenge to build that team, practically from scratch.

There may only be 4 players worth keeping, but building a pitching staff around Nola and Urina is a pretty good start. I did mention that it would be a "project" team, and whether you realize it or not, there are people out there who play fantasy sports that like the challenge of building a team, and enjoying the success down the road. I've done it before, and it is satisfying for the fantasy enthusiast.

By the way, the league has been running since 2008, has had almost no turn-over, and is a lot of fun. This isn't a fly by night league where people show up to draft, don't like their draft, and leave. I have had to replace probably 2 or 3 teams in that span, which is pretty damn good.

I'm not sure if you were expecting the guy with Kershaw and Trout to simply hand his team over otherwise you won't play, but that's what it sounds like. When you take over a dynasty team, you aren't taking over a team that finished at the top of standings. Usually it's a guy who got sick of being bad and quit.

I took over a deep dynasty league team last year and will probably be bad again this year. I'm slowly shaping the team though, with players that I like. I grabbed a couple really nice prospects that got dropped by contending teams that had squeezed rosters. It won't happen overnight but hopefully my guys pan out and a top team develops. That's how it goes when you take over a dynasty team...

Archived