Brewer Fanatic

Trevor Bauer

Jkromb

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Indians are contenders with a full rotation and no spot for Mike Clevinger.

The Brewers are hopeful contenders with a full outfield and no spot for Domingo Santana.

Done and done.

WOAH SOLVDD

Someone far deeper onto baseball than I am is going to have to explain this to me.

I'm nervous enough about Archer who has put up back to back 4 era seasons.

Why is Bauer a target? Never had a sub 4 era season. Hasn't had a season better than Chacins career era.

I hear a bunch of guys talk about chacin like he's nothing but a solid vet. Ive heard plenty say things like, hey if we get a few pitchers we can deal Davies.

Why is Bauer at 27 better than Davies who he has never outperformed. Does era not matter as long as you strike dudes out? Am I missing a rule where Ks take runs off the board?

I get he's a value but we just signed Chacin for 7.5 mil a year who has put up a better era over his career and his last year was better than Bauer has ever done.

I dont get why 4era archer is worth the moon, I dont get why this guys worth Santana. Chacin was had for 7.5 mil... this dues in arby for 5.5 to 6.2 mil. 2 mil dollar bargain?

There’s two reasons I like Bauer, specifically over Chacin.

1) Bauer’s K/9 and BB/9 are both better.

2) Bauer’s increased his WAR in each of the last 4 years.

Like it was said earlier, there’s an opportunity to get a live arm on its way up, getting better. Chacin is seen as someone who doesn’t have much indication he can get better.

"There's more people to ignore in New York or in Boston than there are in Milwaukee, but I would still ignore them, probably."

-Zack Greinke

Like it was said earlier, there’s an opportunity to get a live arm on its way up, getting better Maybe. Chacin is seen as someone who doesn’t have much indication he can get better.

I inserted the bold Maybe

To me it is a BIG Maybe

Like it was said earlier, there’s an opportunity to get a live arm on its way up, getting better Maybe. Chacin is seen as someone who doesn’t have much indication he can get better.

I inserted the bold Maybe

To me it is a BIG Maybe

Chacins slider is one of the best in MLB

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.beyondtheboxscore.com/platform/amp/2017/12/21/16803642/jhoulys-chacin-brewers-mlb-hot-stove-rumors-free-agent-contract-signing-slider

He had a very good year last year because he used it more often

Chase Anderson was nothing special coming to the Brewers and look at his last year. Pitching is a lot about looking at your strengths and staying away from your weaknesses. I think our pitching staff does a great job of getting the best out of their pitchers. Looking forward to a nice year from Chacin, he has the tools to succeed.

Like it was said earlier, there’s an opportunity to get a live arm on its way up, getting better. Chacin is seen as someone who doesn’t have much indication he can get better.

Bauer's FIP the last 2 years are 3.99 in 2016 and 3.88 in 2017, with 10 K's per 9 in the AL. There's a lot to like. He's a solid #3 with potential to be a #2. Remember Chase Anderson never had an ERA under 4 until last year either, when he posted a sub 3 ERA at age 29. Bauer just turned 27.

If Bauer can be had at a good price I think he is a terrific add with one of the fa starters. As many have said you really need a 7 man rotation with injuries especially with Nelson down for some time. FA starter, Anderson, Nelson, Bauer, Davies, Chacin, Woodruff and then Suter give you 8 guys who can start.

Bauer is a guy who could take another jump up coming to the NL. His stuff is there. He is still young. He wont be a FA until 2021. Has his name been mentioned by any of the national people?

Price tag on Bauer would be very high. They have six starters. Weeks ago they indicated Salazar was the starter they would prefer to move. He could likely be had for market value. A team would likely have to overpay for any of the other starters, Cleveland aren't rebuilding and are a legitimate contender so they won't be selling low on players like Bauer.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I absolutely loathe Trevor Bauer as a person. I'd hate to have to root for him on the Brewers.

Archer, Salazar, anybody else please.

Not familiar with him - what makes him a bad dude?

He has been politically vocal on twitter.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I absolutely loathe Trevor Bauer as a person. I'd hate to have to root for him on the Brewers.

Archer, Salazar, anybody else please.

Not familiar with him - what makes him a bad dude?

He is a unique person. I kinda like him...as a person. He helped some girl on her algebra or precalc on Twitter once. Seemed pretty genuine.

Trevor is a very peculiar guy. That, along with the openly talking about his politics on Twitter has rubbed people the long way.

Personally I have never seen a pitcher that works harder on his craft, sometimes to a fault. Trevor is a big believer in Driveline Baseball (whose owner also rubs people the wrong way on social media). Their methods are unique but have been very successful thus far. They believe in data driven training, using all the latest PitchFX technologies, Rapsodo, Trackman and many more that I don't understand. People mainly note Trevor and Driveline for the crazy long toss stuff he does pre-game and the weighted balls but they are definitely using the same technology that the Brewers' brass is using to evaluate pitchers.

To me it has seemed like the Brewers have targeted pitchers that they see have a dominant pitch and could be well served to increase usage of that pitch to improve, this is exactly what Bauer did last year with his curve ball. Seems like there definitely could be a match here.

Unrelated side note: I met the BrewerWorld Twitter guy at the Winter meetings this year. Definitely meant to be a joke on other Brewers' bloggers but also I'm not surprised he's got some scoops. He knows some people.

It's not just his Twitter personality. This is a guy who was a #3 overall pick and a top-10 overall prospect who the Diamondbacks couldn't wait to get rid of and finally did in a lopsided trade (Didi Gregorious was a good but not top-10-caliber prospect at the time) because of his off-field issues.

I've been following Bauer for a while and have always been a fan. I don't think there is real off the field issues.. He just Marches to his own drum. He wanted to train his own way and pitch how he wanted to pitch, and used his own coach as mentioned. That team that traded him had Kirk Gibson as the manager, and my guess is that Gritty Gamer Kirk didn't love the fact that a rookie wasn't listening to his pitching coach, or his catcher (montero).

The guy is obsessed with the mechanical aspects of pitching. DBs didn't love him going his own way. Any talk of "off the field issues" is fabrication from the good ol' boys of baseball who don't like his different method.

Trevor is a very peculiar guy. That, along with the openly talking about his politics on Twitter has rubbed people the long way.

Personally I have never seen a pitcher that works harder on his craft, sometimes to a fault. Trevor is a big believer in Driveline Baseball (whose owner also rubs people the wrong way on social media). Their methods are unique but have been very successful thus far. They believe in data driven training, using all the latest PitchFX technologies, Rapsodo, Trackman and many more that I don't understand. People mainly note Trevor and Driveline for the crazy long toss stuff he does pre-game and the weighted balls but they are definitely using the same technology that the Brewers' brass is using to evaluate pitchers.

To me it has seemed like the Brewers have targeted pitchers that they see have a dominant pitch and could be well served to increase usage of that pitch to improve, this is exactly what Bauer did last year with his curve ball. Seems like there definitely could be a match here.

Unrelated side note: I met the BrewerWorld Twitter guy at the Winter meetings this year. Definitely meant to be a joke on other Brewers' bloggers but also I'm not surprised he's got some scoops. He knows some people.

Solid post. You're right, that guy is really into pitching. I've never seen anything like it.

I would imagine Bauer would cost less than any of the guys we've talked about trading for so far. And Bauer's biggest on field "issue" is that he has his own training regimen. Which all the control freak, old crusty baseball men don't like. And after doing a quick look at his injury history it seems the only major injury he's had so far is cutting his pinky on one of his drones. So seems like it's keeping him healthy.

It's not just his Twitter personality. This is a guy who was a #3 overall pick and a top-10 overall prospect who the Diamondbacks couldn't wait to get rid of and finally did in a lopsided trade (Didi Gregorious was a good but not top-10-caliber prospect at the time) because of his off-field issues.

Just a side note on the Arizona situation - I believe the catcher that was really sounding off on Bauer was Miguel Montero. Wasn't he the same guy that spouted off to the media last season in the Cubs locker room about trying to catch certain Cubs pitchers and holding opposing base runners in check?? Sometimes you have to consider all aspects. Something the follies of youth will cause people to mature and realize they have to approach the situation differently moving forward.

Does Bauer do things that could infuriate you as a fan? Yes. Case in point the drone incident during the 2016 playoffs.

Does Bauer do things that could impress you as a fan? Yes.

Does Bauer want the ball on every chance he can get? Yes. He would prefer being part of a 4 man rotation & not coming out of a game until @ 150 pitches.

I tried locating a video clip on youtube for you (no luck), but Bauer was interviewed on the field after the Tribe won a then franchise record 14 games in a row in Toronto on 7/1/16. The interview won over many fans for Bauer. Bauer, the scheduled starter for the next game, came out of the pen & tossed 5+ IP in a 19 inning game to earn the victory in the 2-1 decision. To paraphrase off my memory: He was asked about how he felt and what might happen with the scheduled start the next day. Bauer having thrown 80+ pitches said he would do whatever was asked of him by Tito. If he could weigh in on the situation for who starts the next game, he would want the ball. He wants to pitch but would follow whatever was asked of him by the team.

I recall some Tribe chat boards changing their tune on Bauer after that. Went from "who does this guy think he is" to "he's our guy, will back him to the end".

We have all heard the mantra of 'Next Man Up' and appreciate the mindset of teamwork & togetherness. But every so often you need that person who voices the belief 'This is it. The opposition advances no further. I will stem this advance.'

I would imagine Bauer would cost less than any of the guys we've talked about trading for so far. And Bauer's biggest on field "issue" is that he has his own training regimen. Which all the control freak, old crusty baseball men don't like. And after doing a quick look at his injury history it seems the only major injury he's had so far is cutting his pinky on one of his drones. So seems like it's keeping him healthy.

I would speculate that he would cost less then Clevinger, but cost more than Salazar in a deal.

Archived