Brewer Fanatic

2018 Green Bay Packers Training Camp: Rodgers Extension Reportedly Done

pacopete4
Meh, I'm not the slightest bit interested in him to be honest. I would rather we trade for Patrick Peterson and find WR's in the draft. It's worked pretty well in our past.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Or watching him sulk on the sidelines... seeing him get hurt... seeing him focused on making headlines... nope, nope, and nope.

Meh, I'm not the slightest bit interested in him to be honest. I would rather we trade for Patrick Peterson and find WR's in the draft. It's worked pretty well in our past.

Yep, I would second this if we are making a trade.

Don't worry everyone, he'll just wind up with the Lambs anyway!!

Here's the question I struggle with. Does Beckham get us another ring? Moss would've made a world of difference for Brett. What could Aaron do with one of the best in the game? Lots of baggage. High cost to aquire and resign. I'm glad I don't have to make this decision. Almost feels like a "those who don't learn from history" kind of scenario.

Just play Madden in your head for 30 seconds. What if Guety goes ape crap and gets Peterson & OBJ ? ( MIND BLOWN! !)

Here's the question I struggle with. Does Beckham get us another ring? Moss would've made a world of difference for Brett. What could Aaron do with one of the best in the game? Lots of baggage. High cost to aquire and resign. I'm glad I don't have to make this decision. Almost feels like a "those who don't learn from history" kind of scenario.

Just play Madden in your head for 30 seconds. What if Guety goes ape crap and gets Peterson & OBJ ? ( MIND BLOWN! !)

Or maybe getting Beckham out of NYC and into a small town atmosphere creates a career renaissance of sorts, and he settles down with age to focus on getting into the HOF.

I think i'd rather want Peterson, but I sure won't complain if either of them show up in town.

Moss was had for a 4th round pick. (Stupid Thompson) This is apples to oranges other than they happen to be great WRs.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Or maybe getting Beckham out of NYC and into a small town atmosphere creates a career renaissance of sorts, and he settles down with age to focus on getting into the HOF.

I think i'd rather want Peterson, but I sure won't complain if either of them show up in town.

Randy Moss was a model citizen during his time in New England. I have never gotten the impression that Beckham is a bad guy or a locker room cancer. He has never quit on his team, and has played injured quite a bit. Yes he does give off that "diva" attitude at times, but I think if he were on a team where he wasn't the focal point (which he'd never be on a Rodgers-led squad), he'd likely fall in line. I have to say that the idea of an offense with OBJ, Adams and Graham, and maybe even Cobb sounds pretty dang unstoppable. The idea that the team was in till the end on Allen Robinson, and showed interest in Sammy Watkins, makes me think that they are on the lookout for another top-end receiver to pair with Adams. Looking around the league, the Packers are one of only a few teams where an OBJ acquisition makes a lot of sense. Other teams where it may work include the Rams (their interest is already common knowledge), and the Patriots (because this 100% sounds like a Patriots move).

The defense isn't really any different from last year. Tramon replaces House and is probably about equal in ability. The offense is about even, too, losing a WR but gaining a TE. And overall there's more of a deficit on defense than offense, and so if we're going to trade assets (which I'd be happy with), I'd much rather have Peterson than a WR.

The defense isn't really any different from last year. Tramon replaces House and is probably about equal in ability. The offense is about even, too, losing a WR but gaining a TE. And overall there's more of a deficit on defense than offense, and so if we're going to trade assets (which I'd be happy with), I'd much rather have Peterson than a WR.

Tramon Williams >>>>>>> Davon House

Jimmy Graham >>>>>> Jordy Nelson last year

Williams had something like a 58 passer rating allowed on targets in his directions last season. That was the best number of any available free agent CB this offseason. Plus he knows Pettine's defense.

OBJ would be fun, but I would much rather acquire Patrick Peterson. Plus the Giants seem to be asking for multiple 1st round picks to acquire him. That's obviously high, but it will cost at least one first rounder. Probably comparable to what the Seahawks gave up for Percy Harvin.

And if pick 14 isn't in play, I don't think we'd get either. Would you give up a guy like David Bakhtiari for less than a first round pick?

Gruber Lawffices

I think the second wave of free agency could be a time for Gutey to shine. Both Jordan Matthews and Delvin Breaux are devalued coming off of injuries and would likely accept one year prove-it deals.

I would like both of those moves, provided the money is right.

Moss was had for a 4th round pick. (Stupid Thompson) This is apples to oranges other than they happen to be great WRs.

I actually think that was the team president more than Thompson. Stupid yokels called and complained about potentially getting Moss.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Belichick trades a 31st overall pick for Brandin Cooks and gets a 23rd for him this draft.

Deals I wish the Packers knew how to make for a 1,000

Thankfully with the QB draft market & amount of teams wanting one, that could push more talent down to Packers. I assume 4 will go in top 10 & I would not be if some reaches a bit to get L. Jackson before 13 out of QB desperation. If 5 QBs go, there will be some real nice talent to debate.

Chubbs, Nelson, Barkley, Ward are sure to go before. Then you got Smith, Ridley, Vita, Fitzpatrick, James, Edmunds, Davenport, Van Esch

At least 2-3 of those guys fall to us. I really like the top half of the 1st round due to QB talent & need. Really strengthens our pick. Payne & J. Jackson are 2 who could easily find themselves in mix for top 14 pick as well. Guice is another guy who could sneak in.

You hope for James or Fitzpatrick. Smith, Edmunds, and Van Esch are flat out football players who instantly make a defense strong inside. Davenport is most boom or bust of the guys. High risk, high reward guy. No need for Payne or Vita V. Josh Jackson is a safe pick who will at worst be solid 2 but kid can hawk the ball & make plays. Tested out better than I thought he would. Ridley is a luxury pick. Don’t think he should be taken over any of those defensive players. If Chubbs, Ward, Fitzpatrick, James, Smith, Edmunds, Van Esch, Davenport are all gone..... I could live with a Ridley over Jackson

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I thought it was because Moss only had one year left on his contract, and TT would not give up the pick for only one season - he wanted Moss to sign an extension for at least one additional year.

Maybe I'm misremembering or I can't find the articlebut I thought there was a retrospective about it and that was the story. Anyway, there WERE people calling him and complaining:

But Packers chairman and CEO Bob Harlan hinted strongly on Friday that the Packers’ front office is going through the same sort of character risk-versus-reward debate they did before signing former Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Koren Robinson last fall.

And Harlan says fans who have called his office to weigh in on Moss generally don’t like the idea of trading for a receiver who might be past his prime, might be playing his way out of a second NFL city because of his questionable attitude — and, by the way, once pretended to “moon” the fans at Lambeau after scoring a touchdown.

“I don’t want to say it’s been overwhelming, but there have been a few fans who (complained),” Harlan said. “And the thing they basically say to me is, “You guys have so much class. Don’t lose class now.'”

Harlan, who is retiring in May, said he is very concerned about maintaining the team’s image. And those concerns will play a role in whether the team pushes ahead toward a trade.

“I’ve had fans call me and say, ‘Bob, I’d rather see you go 0-16 than do some things that were done here in the ’80s,'” Harlan said. “And believe me, I’m as concerned about the image of this franchise as anybody, and will be years from now. It’s not just because I’m leaving. I’m very concerned about how we look next year and the year after that. So we’re going to be cautious.”

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• 2 weeks later...
Cowboys just released Dez Bryant. Not advocating Packers should sign him, but it's interesting to think about. Packers were in on several other WR earlier so it's not impossible but I think his asking price will be too high.

Cowboys just released Dez Bryant. Not advocating Packers should sign him, but it's interesting to think about. Packers were in on several other WR earlier so it's not impossible but I think his asking price will be too high.

To sign Bryant they'd probably have to cut or restructure Cobb or Matthews.

They may have interest if he comes cheap. I think some dumb team with throw him $10-12 million/year though. I could see the Redskins being interested.

He can't get separated from defensive backs and you basically have to throw him open on his limited routes. It is part of the reason Jordy is no longer a Packer. Why would we even go down this road? Makes no sense.

Archived