Brewer Fanatic

2018 Green Bay Packers Training Camp: Rodgers Extension Reportedly Done

pacopete4
Josh Jackson in the second giving up one of the fourth round picks would be amaze balls!!! Sign me up.

I'm also coming around to signing Tra and House. I don't like the idea of signing the oldest corners in the history of the world, but what are the options ?

Capers would have come up with something. Some sort of gimmick defense using 1 CB and 5 Safeties.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Packers reportedly signing Tramon Williams to a 2 year deal. He's still played well, remained pretty injury-free, and played under Pettine in Cleveland. This just made too much sense for it to not happen.

Yep ... Williams excels as a slot corner as well, the position that Randall would have played if he weren't traded. Will also provide veteran leadership to that young group of corners.

House is still on the radar as well, along with other veteran options (Breeland). The team is doing its homework on the top corners in the draft, and will very likely draft one high. Don't underestimate the idea of trading a pick for an established corner as well. The Packers are seeing talent being dealt for lower-level picks than you'd think, and are on the lookout for teams looking to dump perhaps a higher salaried CB for a 4th-5th round pick. That's where all those compensatory picks are really going to come into play. Also the top pick at the beginning of the 4th round (that they got from Cleveland) holds high value.

I've been thinking a lot about the 'trade a 4th for a solid CB' idea the last couple of days as well. It'd be interesting to speculate on who is out there, but Gute's comments about 'exploring all avenues to acquire a DB' makes me wonder if this is actually the most likely way they'll add a CB1 or CB2.

WR- Jordan Matthews is in for a visit with the Packers.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Intriguing. Only 25 years old, and potentially available at a bargain price after an injury-filled year in Buffalo after productivity in Philly.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Packers 'clean-up' a bit in this second wave of free agency now that the drunken spending spree is over.

Intriguing. Only 25 years old, and potentially available at a bargain price after an injury-filled year in Buffalo after productivity in Philly.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Packers 'clean-up' a bit in this second wave of free agency now that the drunken spending spree is over.

Physical traits very similar to Nelson, but obviously much younger. Not really a speed guy, but is faster than Nelson, as most WRs are. He wouldn't be a lid-lifter, but has the potential to be a solid #2. Most of his productivity has come out of the slot , though, which is also Cobb's preferred spot. I wonder if Cobb would be on the chopping block or may be trade bait if Matthews were brought in?

Being near Nashville, I was able to see a lot of Matthews when he played at Vanderbilt. The kid was a beast, always played like he had something to prove and wanted the ball when the game was on the line. If he can stay healthy, he would be an outstanding addition.

Matthews is a bigger target (6'3"). Like someone else said, he also plays slot receiver (where we have Cobb) so the interest could mean several things:

a) Leverage to get Cobb to take less money (likely won't work - you don't ask a guy to take less money unless you're ready to cut him)

b) Replace Cobb. At this stage of free agency, many of these guys coming off of injuries are looking to take one year "prove it" deals. Personally, I like the idea of signing Matthews to a one year deal while keeping Cobb. Both would be in a contract year, let them compete and next offseason make a decision on who you'd like to retain. The 2019 season would be Cobb's age 29 season and Matthews age 27 season.

I don't think Matthews would be the guy you want on the perimeter opposite of Adams. My preference there would have been a burner like Moncrief (who got way more than I was expecting him to in free agency), who also fits the size they are looking for (6'2", 220lbs with serious wheels). So that leaves us looking in the draft (likely on Day 2) for a starting WR opposite of Adams.

But we also don't have a Week 1 starter at RG or RT with Jahri Evans unsigned (may retire) and Bulaga likely to miss the first few weeks. As of now your starters are probably Lucas Patrick at RG and Justin McCray at RT (and he may be the guy they want to roll with as their RG eventually), with Jason Spriggs as the swing tackle. And by swing, I mean he swings open like a fence gate in pass protection.

Gruber Lawffices

@BobMcGinn

Ex-#Packers SS Morgan Burnett's three-year deal with #Steelers contained modest $4.25 million in guaranteed money. The package is worth $14.35M. His cap number for 2018 is $2.417M.

Huh, tells you what the Packers thought of Burnett. That's not much money at all.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

I'm honestly not too worried about the O-line. I believe that Bulaga will be ready by mid season at the latest. Hopefully he opens the season on the 53 man roster and is ready to go by early October. Kyle Murphy did an excellent job last season before he got injured. He manned left tackle while Bakhitari was injured and held his own. He is a right tackle by trade. I'd be more than comfortable with him manning right tackle until Bulaga returns.

Surprisingly I'm going to advocate for Justin McCray as the regular starting right guard. When he made the 53 man last season I lost my mind. I thought he as complete garbage and Thompson had lost his mind. Well I still believe that Uncle Ted has lost his once brilliant mind. But couldn't believe how well McCray played. He has athletic limitations, but he's strong, nasty and smart. He belongs inside at guard.

Better depth would be great. I don't think Spriggs is going to get better. I'm calling second round bust. I let him try to win a roster spot during camp but prepare to cut him come September. Lucas Patrick has got a nasty streak and he's worth a look as a back up. He played ok when his number was called.

I'll second McCray at RG. I thought he did really well last year. Surprisingly well. Murphy also. Grab another LT in the 4th round, transition him to RG/RT and we are good.

I'm not ready to give up in Spriggs though. We will see how he does in camp.

VERY interesting tidbit I got this morning. The Packers are doing their homework on Patrick Peterson, and have been in contact with the Cardinals regarding what he would cost via trade. The Cardinals are clearly rebuilding, and Peterson is under team control through the 2020 season. The Packers see him as a top-flight CB who is in his prime (27 years old), and his salary is roughly the same as what they would have paid Fuller had the Bears not matched the offer sheet. Obviously the draft capital cost is going to be pretty significant. Gute is extremely hesitant to deal #14, but the other picks are available. It would likely cost at least the team's 2nd Rounder, and probably a 4th and 5th as well, if not more.

VERY interesting tidbit I got this morning. The Packers are doing their homework on Patrick Peterson, and have been in contact with the Cardinals regarding what he would cost via trade. The Cardinals are clearly rebuilding, and Peterson is under team control through the 2020 season. The Packers see him as a top-flight CB who is in his prime (27 years old), and his salary is roughly the same as what they would have paid Fuller had the Bears not matched the offer sheet. Obviously the draft capital cost is going to be pretty significant. Gute is extremely hesitant to deal #14, but the other picks are available. It would likely cost at least the team's 2nd Rounder, and probably a 4th and 5th as well, if not more.

Deal. Don't let em off the phone.

I took a look at the salary cap implications. Peterson has 3 years left remaining on his deal. Base salaries are roughly $11M, $11M and $12M. There is a roster bonus of $250K due but not until his final year of that contract. Also $250K per year in workout bonuses. The way that Arizona structured that contract, they could trade/cut him now and only take a dead money hit of just under $5M while freeing up almost $10M in cap space this year (plus freeing themselves of the contract in 2019 & 2020 as well). The team that acquired him would be on the hook from a salary cap perspective basically what their cash outlay would be: 2018: $11.25M, 2019: $11.25M and 2020: $12.55M. Essentially the acquiring team would assume a 3 year, $35M contract where none of that money is guaranteed. If you feel Peterson is elite and will remain elite into his early 30's, you could likely very easily convince him to extend that contract in exchange for some guaranteed money up front, or just go year-to-year with him and not take any additional risk.

It makes gauging his trade value difficult. I don't think I would part with pick #14, but this year's second or next year's first (would be about equal value if you assume we're a playoff team in 2018) might do it. It would be bold move and free the team to take an EDGE rusher at #14 or potentially draft a replacement for HHCD.

Gruber Lawffices

I think there is a significant dropoff in talent in this draft around #10; I don't think there is a big difference in talent between the #14 pick and the Packers 2nd round pick. Of the players available at #14, the only one projected to be available who I think might be worth that pick is Harold Landry. He can probably be had in the 20s, and Josh Jackson and DJ Moore can probably be had in the early 2nd.

I'd part with #14 if the Cardinals sent back their 2nd round pick (#47), then look at packaging a 2nd and a 3rd or both 2nds to move up to get Landry. I'd also part with a 2nd, 4th, and 5th if it meant guaranteeing to get Landry and Peterson.

That would be huge for the Packers to get Peterson. Think Charles Woodson changing except the guy is in his prime. Giving up a 2nd rounder would be a no-brainer for me.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

That would be huge for the Packers to get Peterson. Think Charles Woodson changing except the guy is in his prime. Giving up a 2nd rounder would be a no-brainer for me.

I'd give up 2 or 3 second rounders....would part with the 1st rounder too. Our defense would get us back to the Super Bowl with Peterson, who cares about a developmental mid 1st round player.

Packers are not in on OBJ as of right now. They are monitoring his market, though, and there is interest. Gute was a huge advocate for trading for Randy Moss back in 2007, and believes the team missed the boat on what possibly would have been the piece needed to put them over the top.

Right now the Giants are asking for two #1 picks. That asking price will likely come down, but not by much. My personal thought - I wonder if the Giants may be tempted by Randall Cobb and either a 2018 2nd rounder or a 2019 1st rounder?

Archived